steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
I ordered a reman steering box that comes without the pitman arm. Any good guides/write-ups out there that will help? Thanks, it is an 87 GMC 4wd.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Basically just bolt it in. Don't need to screw with the box at all. Just a matter of disconnecting the steering shaft and the pitman arm and then bolting in the new one.

You will need a special little puller to get the pitman arm off though.

Torque the box to the frame @ 75 ft lbs

and the pitman arm to the box @ 90 ft lbs

After an hours worth of driving do it again!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Actually I guess there is a little bit more to it than that.

Jack up the front axle off the ground and lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position with the column lock.

Then remove the steering shaft and the pitman arm and reinstall the new box. Every thing should pretty much line up. If not then check back for more info.

The steering shaft may fight back when you try to get it off. You will probably have to unbolt the box and drop it down to get the steering shaft removed from it.

No need to disconnect the drag link ball joints. Just get the puller and pull the pitman arm off and push the whole drag link and pitman arm to the side.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also PB blaster the spot where the steering shaft attaches to the steering column at the firewall. This joint will probably not want to just slide off. Once the bolt is off it should but you might need to soak it good before it does. RESIST the temptation to bang on it with hammer!

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I'll see how it goes when the part comes in next week.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
One thing that may help. You might find - after installing the new steering gear and re-assembling all the linkage - that your steering wheel is then indexed to the left or right (with the tires pointing straight ahead).

To realign it is easy (you don't have to release the steering wheel, undo any part of the linkage or adjust your tie-rod ends).

Make the adjustment at the center drag link:

Go under the truck and on the left hand side locate center drag link. It connects the pitman arm to the steering arm and is shown as item 17 below (this was written for someone else - but you'll know where it is because you will have just assembled everything):

You must be registered for see images attach

Like this close up:

If your steering wheel is offset (either CW or CCW) while traveling straight ahead - it can be easily trued up by shortening or extending the effective length of the link.
Just glide to a stop (hands off the steering wheel). Your tires will be pointing straight ahead. Leave the steering wheel unlocked and loosen the clamps on the adjusting sleeve. Then with an assistant watching the steering wheel, turn the sleeve. The wheel will turn (either in the correct direction or not) if it gets worse, turn the sleeve the other way. It only takes about a 1/4 turn to move the wheel spokes about 45 degrees. This doesn't affect your front end alignment (both tires move in unison) only the index of the steering wheel. Much easier than adjusting both tie-rod ends!

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the info chengny, that will definitely come in handy.

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Got the steering gear put in today. Not a fun job. Anyways, no leaks and had it on jack stands to bleed the system until resovoir was proper level.

One problem. It is whining a bit. Doesn't do it parked and idleing. An example is when at a stop light and just taking off, it starts whining. Turning doesn't seem to make it worse. Maybe goes away after 35 mph, but maybe I just can't hear I. Any ideas?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Got the steering gear put in today. Not a fun job. Anyways, no leaks and had it on jack stands to bleed the system until resovoir was proper level.

One problem. It is whining a bit. Doesn't do it parked and idleing. An example is when at a stop light and just taking off, it starts whining. Turning doesn't seem to make it worse. Maybe goes away after 35 mph, but maybe I just can't hear I. Any ideas?

Did you flush your power steering system out when you change the steering box? I wouldn't doubt some dirt and grime got worked up, maybe it just needs a cleaning? or you power steering pump is going out, check your belt tension too!

Also maybe check the alternator for ***** and giggles maybe its acting up.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its usually caused from air in the system

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Hopefully no dirt or grime got in the system, was pretty careful about that. It was flushed. There may be some air still in the system, it has sat overnight and I will check the cold level. I've heard most of the time if it is air, it will work itself out over time as you drive it?

It could possibly be the power steering pump too. When I made the 90 mile journey home when I bought it, was leaking from steering box (Which is why I changed that) and it did run out of fluid 3/4 way through. Has doing a little manual steering toward the end.

How tough is replacing the power steering pump if needed? Hopefully it is just air though.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Be sure your PSP belt tension is good and tight. The PSP belt on a SBC can be a real pain to tension correctly. This is primarily due to it's sucky location and the fact that there are two adjustment bolts/slots to position and hold in place while tightening.

Someone wrote this:

The reason (I think anyway) that the power steering pump belt slips/squeals more frequently than the other belts is because it usually doesn't get properly tightened in the first place. And the reason for that is because - for one man to do it alone is a pain in the butt.

First, consider the alternator; it is located in an accessible/clean spot - and it uses the simplest method to adjust/set belt tension (pivot point and and a mounting bracket with a single elongated bolt hole).

On the other hand, the design of the components used to mount the power steering pump make adjustment of it's drive belt ... cumbersome to say the least.

It does have the standard pivot point:

But instead of just a single elongated bolt hole, the bracketing for the PSP has two slotted adjustment points - and both the associated clamping bolts must be moved through the slot simultaneously.

One of these is located in an easily accessible spot - the upper LH corner - and just like the alternator, the bolt is moved through the slot to adjust tension :

The second adjusting point for the PSP is there to provide more stability for the pump - I suppose. This one is buried. It is located at the very bottom of the PSP bracketing:

Working from above, access to the lower bolt is nearly impossible on a fully assembled engine.

The images above show a SBC with most of it's auxiliaries removed. However, in an actual "on the fly" belt renewal procedure, things are considerably more cluttered (i.e. by the radiator fan, the fan shroud, drive belts, upper radiator hose, etc).

So, while working on the lower bolt, instead of working conditions like this:

You are faced with something more like this:

and remember, that's while both loosening and tightening it!

But what actually makes the tensioning of the belt more difficult than other set-ups is the dual adjusting slot configuration.

With a single slot and a pivot - you just kind of pull on the driven component and the belt tightens up. Then, hold it in place with one hand and clamp down on the adjusting bolt with the other. Done!

It may not sound hard, but to tension the belt on the PSP, the entire pump bracket must be rotated about the pivot point. You cant just yank on the bracket and watch the belt go tight. If you simply pull on any one spot on the mounting assembly, the tendency is for one of the adjusting bolts to get jammed against the side of their respective slots. It feels like the bracket is not loose enough and so you back off on the bolts some more. Then you try to pull the bracket again - maybe this time in a different direction or at a different spot.

When and if you finally get some tension in the belt - even if it isn't as tight as you normally shoot for - it is human nature to just say "that's good enough". You hold what you have in place and tighten the top outer bolt. Then you have to climb under the truck and tightening the lower bolt.Then back up to the top and torque the pivot bolt.

All done! To test tension, you push your finger down on the belt between the water pump pulley and the PSP pulley. Nearly all the time you will find that the tension you had set is now not nearly as tight as it was. You know that you should really loosen everything up and do the job over again - but most people don't. They shut the hood and drink a beer.

That is my theory on why the power steering belt squeals so much.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Quoting chengny (saving all the space in the post).

I went through the same thing this past weekend with the tension. The pump would hit the outside bracket, not allowing it to tighten the belt any more. I ran down the parts house and got a belt that was an inch shorter. It took me 5 minutes to put the belt on at proper tension and tighten all the bolts.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
To do it yourself requires a wrench, pry-bar, two arms and one knee to hold the pry bar. preferably done not lying in a puddle under the truck....

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Mine didn't have the adjustment underneath. I stuck a pry bar at the pivot point and sailed on. No worse than doing an alternator. Key thing for me was having it tighten up prior to bolt stops and/or hitting something else. I'll take a pic shortly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
12turnda