Steel Wheels K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wheel Vintiques makes steelies. I think you can get at least 10" wide rims. They are in black primer ready for paint, have lugs for hubcaps. But are not cheap.... That is the next thing for my truck, 16" deep white steel with dog dish hubcaps.
I second Wheel Vintiques

I used them for custom 15x10’s on my 68 Dart. They did have the bumps for the dog dish hub caps as well. See poor pic below.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I found out today mine are 16x6.5. Not having much luck finding a 34" or 35" tire that will fit.
Correct, despite what @bucket says and he’s very knowledgeable.
For an off roader or local driver and not a lot of heavy loads, I’d doo it. I would prefer 8” wide minimum with a 12.50 tire though.
Realistically, you want an 8” min - 10” max if you’re gonna have a 12 or 12.50 wide tire.
Can sometimes find the OE 16x8 wheels that I think were std on 1 ton srw squarebodys.
Otherwise there are options for new wider 16” wheels that aren’t super cheap but far less $ than most any quality aftermarket alloy wheels or big steelies.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wheel Vintiques is $195/210 for 8 and 10 wide 16” rims respectively. But only in black powder coat.
US Wheel is $215/250 for the same but can get in white.
Detroit Steel Wheels, smallest diameter is 18” iirc. And an 18x8 would be more $ than either of the above.
I think those are the only mfgs making old steelies. But icbw.
US wheel has larger rim diameters in 8 lug (and 5&6 lug) steelies as well.
When I compared DSW to US wheel last year, DSW was a slightly better cost or value. But not by much. For 18s or 20s.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Correct, despite what @bucket says and he’s very knowledgeable.
For an off roader or local driver and not a lot of heavy loads, I’d doo it. I would prefer 8” wide minimum with a 12.50 tire though.
Realistically, you want an 8” min - 10” max if you’re gonna have a 12 or 12.50 wide tire.
Can sometimes find the OE 16x8 wheels that I think were std on 1 ton srw squarebodys.
Otherwise there are options for new wider 16” wheels that aren’t super cheap but far less $ than most any quality aftermarket alloy wheels or big steelies.

I guess I should have elaborated more in my first post here instead of just being short and to the point. It is a fact that many many people have ran a 12.5" width 33" or 35" tire on a 6.5" wide rim. It is also a fact that many of those people have got normal tire wear and lifespan in such an application, including lots of interstate miles and towing or hauling heavy loads. Again, those are facts, not opinions. However, on the other side of the coin, it is also a fact that most tire manufacturers do not recommend it for various reasons. Also, it can vary between tire brand as well as the specific model within brands. Specific tire construction can have an important roll in how well a tire may or may not work in a rim width that is outside of the specifications.

So what it really comes down to is, simply do what you are comfortable with.

Oh yeah, one other tidbit that has helped me form my opinion that the recommended rim widths are just general guidelines are the auto manufacturers themselves. It's not uncommon for a car or truck to be sold by the thousands with tires that are not "correct" for the rims. One example is the 454 SS pickup. A 275/60 tire is not correct for a 7" wide rim (and to head it off at the pass, those trucks did indeed have a 7" rim, not the "special" 8 inch rim that many people think), according to most tire manufacturers that have ever offered that size. And heck, there were hundreds of thousands of squarebody trucks sold new with a 15x8" and a skinny 235 width tire. Without going down that rabbit hole, I'm betting that most tire manufacturers that have made the common 235/75 tire have recommended a rim narrower than 8 inch.

So there's my long winded post I should have made in the first place. It's full of facts and opinions too. I'm sure it's obvious that I'm in the "those tires fit" camp, but the folks that adhere to the tire manufacturer recommendations are not wrong either.

JodysCars

Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Made my decision. Summit had Coker 16x8 steelies on sale for $149. I ordered a set but now I will need to paint or powder coat because they only come in black. Any recommendations?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd choose paint, but that's just a personal preference.

Try not to go with the brightest white you can find though. Just a hint of cream/beige will make them appear more original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe