Starting Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylerzap

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Hey everybody. New here.

I have a 79 Chevy K20 Longbed. Has a 350 small block. Its a factory truck.

Ive replaced the starter 3 times in 3 years. Last one was november last year.

When I put a new starter in, it cranks fine for a while but then after the truck sits for a while then ill go and put a charged battery in it and it wont get any power, barely enough to turn on the dash lights.

New battery terminals.

Im thinking its either the cables themselves need to be replaced due to age and are not making a good connection, or is this another starter going out?

Thanks yall and look forward to yalls responses.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cables are iffy after 10 years. They corrode internally with no outward sign.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Howdy from Dallas :) rich is correct.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Tylerzap

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks guys. Thats what I was thinking but wanted a second opinion before i went and bought a set. Ill report how it goes.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
When I put a new starter in, it cranks fine for a while but then after the truck sits for a while then ill go and put a charged battery in it and it wont get any power, barely enough to turn on the dash lights.

And so then - each time (3) you are faced with this situation - you go to the parts store, buy a new starter and install it.

I have to ask; Do you go to the same parts store for the new starters? If so, do they give you a free replacement?

Anyway, with the new starter installed, the problem goes away (i.e. the truck cranks over and starts up normally). But only for "a while". Because then, at some point (after "a while"), you decide to run the truck.

How long do you mean by "a while"? Once a week, once a month, 3-4 times a year?

If the problem is only cleared by replacing the starter - have you ever had one of those starters checked or tried it in another engine?

When you first go out to the truck is the battery dead?

Also, I was wondering - just to be sure - what does this mean?

New battery terminals.

I am thinking you mean the battery cable terminal clamps. If that is correct, did you replace these before this issue developed or were they replaced as part of the troubleshooting process?

I guess what I am trying to understand here is; How did you come to the conclusion that your cables are bad - when the remedy consistently appears to be the installation of a new starter motor?

Is it because the act of changing the starter motor (you know, pulling and twisting the cable ends, tightening the connections, etc.) might be making the cable temporarily capable of providing sufficient power to the system?

It may very well turn out to be a bad cable. But why spend the money to replace a good part? Why not just buy the grounding cable (battery negative to engine) first, and see what happens. If for no other reason - it is the cheaper of the two.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then buy the battery positive to solenoid cable. If that works, the issue was caused by the positive cable.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I agree with chengny, find your problem first before spending more money on parts. the ground cable is easy to check, with jumper cables jump your ground circuit does this fix the problem? when you say it will not even light up the lights. is this with a known good battery? if you have a good battery and your lights don't work the problem is not the starter. highdesertranger

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How to check the cables:

1) Put the voltmeter from the battery negative terminal to the engine block. Have someone try the starter. Read the voltage.

2) Put the voltmeter from the battery positive terminal to the starter terminal. Have someone try the starter. Read the voltage.

If either voltage is above 1 volt, that cable is bad.

Also, do you have the ground strap in place from the engine to the cab? The cab rides on rubber bushings. It must be electrically grounded to the frame or engine for everything to work right.

Tylerzap

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Sorry yall I was halfway asleep when I originally typed this post. I apologize. Just kind of ignore that lol. Heres whats going on with the truck.

Thank you for instructions on how to check the cables. About to do that.

Yes free replacement. The original starter went out on the truck a few years ago after sitting. Replaced it and it did fine. After a while the starter messed up again, as the post on the solenoid became loose (unrelated to current problem) and I replaced it.

So new starter, charged battery. Volt meter on dash isnt even reading 8 with a fully charged battery.

Tylerzap

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Alright yall I replaced the positive cable running to the starter and it turned over, poured some gas in the carb and she runs! Thanks for all yalls help.

The voltmeters still running low and its wanting to die at idle but ill take a look at all that tomarrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d