Stalls in Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok I have a TH350-C. I recently put a transgo reprogramming kit in it. The install was very easy and went smooth. It shifts great in all forward gears & idles perfect in park. And for about a week, it shifted into reverse great. Now when shifted into reverse it sometimes stalls the motor and dies. The idle drops way down and it stalls. But sometimes it reverses ok, ill drive a little longer, then it messes up In reverse again. Keep in mind, it NEVER does this in forward gears, ONLY reverse.

Could I have installed something wrong? And if I did, why would it work good for a week or so then start stalling.

Also, the TCC lock-up is NOT connected. Not sure if this could have an affect or not. Thanks in advance.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Drained the fluid and pulled the pan today to find it covered in this thick dirty layer. Dirty and murky.. Almost like really fine metal shavings.. Any ideas? In the pic i wiped one side clean so you can really see what the dirty side looked like..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 97

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That all got left there in a week or so of driving? That can't be good.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes sir maybe a month total.. What is this part of the transmission, its on the drivers side beside the filter.. It looks like its a hole straight to the internals of the transmssion.. Whatever piece is just insided that hole, seems like a flat ring maybe, i can move it back and foward freely i guess it dont feel right.. (The pic has a hand pointing to the hole im talking about)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 140

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A closer look into the hole, my finger is on the piece that moves freely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 112

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Beats me.

I'm sure @HotRodPC knows.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can't say for 100% for sure what that is with the filter in the way, and not looking at another transmission, but I have a feeling that ring inside the hole you're referring to is a ring for an accumulator/servo in the valve body that goes into the case. The hole itself is probably a bleed off when the servo releases so the fluid can escape.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That is quite a bit of nastiness for a month if all you did was install a Transgo Kit. It's not a rebuilt trans breaking in, and even if so, that's more than excessive for a break in. It's common to see a small pile or gray muddy matter about that size of a quarter in the pan on a Th350, but not all over the entire pan. I'm not familiar with the Transgo kit on a Th350C since I only put shift kits in Th350's that weren't supported in Th350C's yet due to the lock up solenoid being in the way of the separator plate.

As far as shutting off in R only, is there something in the linkage either internal or external of the transmission that is activating the lock up converter? Something pushing or touching on wires, making a ground contact?

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ya I should have taken a better pic. Its a really old transmission and converter. I picked up a used TH350 to replace the TH350-C for now. Hopefully it will give me a chance to open that 350-C and learn a little. Gonna do some how-to research and find a good rebuild kit, and the special tools ill need, and try and do it myself.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is the book you'll want. Ron Sessions is the ****. Get it while you can. These are out of print now but can still be bought since they are laying in the warehouses. The Th400 book of his you can't find for less than $80 anymore. I have one luckily I got off eBay for $15 just before the price went through the roof. I call it the Th400 bible, this one here is the Th350 bible.

http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Hydra-M...8&qid=1427909875&sr=1-1&keywords=ron+sessions

You don't really need many special tools for a Th350. I did my first 2 without special tools and making my own tools out of a piece of all thread and some big washers. It's a PITA doing it that way, but for just one transmission, it's a bit ridiculous to spend $200 - $300 on the bar basics, then even more if you want the bushing drivers. For the bushings that did need replaced, I just used sockets and a hard poly deal blow hammer so I didn't tear my sockets up. Also have used some cheap trash made in China sockets that I find in cars and used those to make bushing drivers since I don't care about tearing them up pounding on them.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks! I will look into getting a copy of that book soon..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okie51