Squishy brakes- help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Hey guys I just picked up my 86 burb today! Main thing I need to address is the brakes since I have to stomp on it to get it to stop. Seems to have brake fluid because in moving the cap around some spilled down the side on the master cylinder.

Should I just do brakes all around or do I need to adjust something? I haven’t seen the brakes yet because I don’t have a jack or stands- have to wait to get it in the shop Wednesday but wanted to see if I could do something myself to fix this.

Also it’s been sitting a year but I flushed the fuel line and got it started right up! So far planning a complete fluid flush, brakes and interior then paint later. Let me know if I should address anything else- I’m taking it cross country next week!

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1397.jpeg
    IMG_1397.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 35
  • EA607529-6874-460F-B633-A4969089F0A2.jpeg
    EA607529-6874-460F-B633-A4969089F0A2.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 36

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do a complete brake inspection. Pack front bearings, check or change all fluids, check for leaks. Inspect from one end to the other. Look at u joints for signs of rust in the crosses, looseness, ect.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys I just picked up my 86 burb today! Main thing I need to address is the brakes since I have to stomp on it to get it to stop. Seems to have brake fluid because in moving the cap around some spilled down the side on the master cylinder.

Should I just do brakes all around or do I need to adjust something? I haven’t seen the brakes yet because I don’t have a jack or stands- have to wait to get it in the shop Wednesday but wanted to see if I could do something myself to fix this.

Also it’s been sitting a year but I flushed the fuel line and got it started right up! So far planning a complete fluid flush, brakes and interior then paint later. Let me know if I should address anything else- I’m taking it cross country next week!
Mine are the same, so I replaced the master cylinder and it definitely helped, but not enough as I still have to press down pretty hard to stop. I read that after bleeding the MC & still having issue, you have to bleed each wheel in case there is air down the lines. That's my next step.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Mine are the same, so I replaced the master cylinder and it definitely helped, but not enough as I still have to press down pretty hard to stop. I read that after bleeding the MC & still having issue, you have to bleed each wheel in case there is air down the lines. That's my next step.
Start at the wheel farthest from the master... passengers rear

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Also may need to check the rubber lines for signs of dry rot and collapse. My 78 had a locked caliper so i changed both and the same one would grab and not release, the rubber line was blocked.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Thank you guys for the responses. This definitely helped! I found out the brake pads are new in the front, so I’m assuming they are new in the back even though I can’t see because of the drums.

I did a brake bleed, starting with the furthest from the master cylinder and worked my way up and it didn’t make a big difference so I think down the line I’m going to do a rear disc brake conversion.

I at least have peace of mind now for the upcoming trip, knowing there’s no air in the lines

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I’m assuming they are new in the back even though I can’t see because of the drums.

I did a brake bleed, starting with the furthest from the master cylinder and worked my way up and it didn’t make a big difference so I think down the line I’m going to do a rear disc brake conversion.
Check your rear brakes before buying a disc conversion. If the rear brake shoes are way out of adjustment, i.e. loose, you won't get them to bleed right. You won't get the proper pedal feel either.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
if you decide to change the master cylinder or the front calipers, go ahead and change the front hoses. They aren't expensive and you've got to bleed again anyway.

[edit] while ur at it, change the rear one so they are the same age....and peace of mind.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Fiush out all of the lines and put in fresh fluid. Willwood has in-line back pressure devices that keep some pressure on the line for quicker reaction.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Thanks everyone it was in fact, the air in the lines and I got it all fixed up. I had a 68 Camaro with the same brake set up and I just have to drive it carefully. When you go from a brand new vehicle to a late model, there are some adjustments to make when anticipating the stop. I think eventually I’ll look for a 14 bolt rear end with disc brakes and just do a swap. They should get me by for my cross country trip coming up thanks guys!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks everyone it was in fact, the air in the lines and I got it all fixed up. I had a 68 Camaro with the same brake set up and I just have to drive it carefully. When you go from a brand new vehicle to a late model, there are some adjustments to make when anticipating the stop. I think eventually I’ll look for a 14 bolt rear end with disc brakes and just do a swap. They should get me by for my cross country trip coming up thanks guys!
Good to hear.
You’re also misusing the term “late model”. That means “newer” not older.
Regardless, idk what you’re trying to say. What adjustments are you referring to? Disc/drum or even drum/drum will stop just the same and just as quick as disk/disk when you push the pedal.
Heck, my ‘74 CJ5 may have the second best brakes in the fleet, behind my wife’s SRT8 (with 6 piston Brembos up front). That old Jeep with 4 wheel drums will almost do an endo or a stoppie!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Good to hear.
You’re also misusing the term “late model”. That means “newer” not older.
Regardless, idk what you’re trying to say. What adjustments are you referring to? Disc/drum or even drum/drum will stop just the same and just as quick as disk/disk when you push the pedal.
Heck, my ‘74 CJ5 may have the second best brakes in the fleet, behind my wife’s SRT8 (with 6 piston Brembos up front). That old Jeep with 4 wheel drums will almost do an endo or a stoppie!
Agreed. My 1980 K25 with 14BFF and rear 13" drums will stop as well(or maybe better) than my 2011 K1500 Suburban. Solid pedal feel and stops on a dime. Rear disk brakes are not going to fix anything unless your rear brakes had an issue to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1