Squeaky Belt(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse R Pearson

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hi all. I just replaced all of the belts on my 87 V10 and when I first started it, they weren't squeaking anymore, but after a few drives, one of them is starting to squeak again. Is this because of the AC compressor or alternator aren't tight enough? Thanks!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Could be. One thing is that sometimes V-belts will bed in, folks call it stretching, but that's not really what's happening, what is happening is they bed into the V on the pulleys and as that happens they get a little looser. Seems like some belts are more prone to it, and some vehicles are more prone to it.

Also if any of the pulleys are out of alignment that can cause noise and excessive belt wear. A balancer pulley (crankshaft pulley) that is worn out and moves up and down or in and out can cause it. Finally if any of the pulleys are glazed, usually only happens when a belt has been left to squeal for sometime, or if the pulleys are rusty, or pitted from rust, or oil getting onto the belts.

Short answer: check to see if they seem to loose, if they are tighten them a bit and see what happens. Also keep in mind to tight can be hard on the bearings on the various pulleys as well. So a good inspection is in order I think.

Jesse R Pearson

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Could be. One thing is that sometimes V-belts will bed in, folks call it stretching, but that's not really what's happening, what is happening is they bed into the V on the pulleys and as that happens they get a little looser. Seems like some belts are more prone to it, and some vehicles are more prone to it.

Also if any of the pulleys are out of alignment that can cause noise and excessive belt wear. A balancer pulley (crankshaft pulley) that is worn out and moves up and down or in and out can cause it. Finally if any of the pulleys are glazed, usually only happens when a belt has been left to squeal for sometime, or if the pulleys are rusty, or pitted from rust, or oil getting onto the belts.

Short answer: check to see if they seem to loose, if they are tighten them a bit and see what happens. Also keep in mind to tight can be hard on the bearings on the various pulleys as well. So a good inspection is in order I think.
Thank you!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Dayco belts? If so, take them back and warranty them and get Gates belts.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Of course, my experience with Dayco belts was a serpentine belt, but every single one I got would squeak after a few days, and it didn't matter how tight I tightened the darn thing. Warrantied the last one and said to give me a Gates belt. No more squeak! After that, I always make sure I get Gates, whether it is v-belts or serpentine belts.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

Attachments

• 92BC0916-F348-4991-A035-6B94E022EBAC.jpeg.jpg
    92BC0916-F348-4991-A035-6B94E022EBAC.jpeg.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 51

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Another thing that usually doesn't happen... but *can*, is a pulley with a worn out groove. I had that on a reman alternator on my 1975, which had a cast aluminum pulley that wore enough that the belt bottomed out in it while the vee section wasn't very snug. Have even seen it happen to a steel pulley once on a high mileage vehicle.

This kind of sh¡t is fairly common on industrial belt drives.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Another thing that usually doesn't happen... but *can*, is a pulley with a worn out groove. I had that on a reman alternator on my 1975, which had a cast aluminum pulley that wore enough that the belt bottomed out in it while the vee section wasn't very snug. Have even seen it happen to a steel pulley once on a high mileage vehicle.

This kind of sh¡t is fairly common on industrial belt drives.
Hey, it didn't censor you!

Reactions: WFO

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Dayco belts? If so, take them back and warranty them and get Gates belts.

I think a couple of them might be. Are they junk?
It's kind of a funny thing with belts. Yes, I'm running gates belts on my square, that and continental are my first choice at the shop, but some rigs don't like the ribbing. The only brand that isn't ribbed that I'm aware of is dayco. So for example my 77 Cadillac does not like ribbed belts on the alternator so I'm running dayco, because that's what it likes. V-belts can be finicky sometimes.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Whatever you do, don’t put soap or belt dressing on the belt. The belt is sqealinh because it’s slipping, soap just hides the sound.

Very carefully (and I emphasize CAREFULLY!!!) lay a wire brush on the belt while the engine is running. Position the brush against the belt so it will fly away from you if it gets pulled out of your hand. Then put the brush on the pulleys. The idea is to remove the glaze from the belt and pulleys sothey don’t slip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL