Squarebody Differentials.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buicknut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
To the best of my knowledge, just stronger carriers like Detroit Locker or ARB, and chromolly axle shafts is about all I'm aware of. The later 10 bolts, I think 89 up, not positive on that so check to be sure, but they have 30 splines instead of 28 for what it's worth. You can go with the 30 spline axles in the earlier axles too but have to use the 30 spline spiders to match. However, the axles are the same thickness so they snap just like a 28 spline would, so unless you're having a problem shearing splines off, the 28 spline is just as strong/weak.

The good news is, many people look at a 10 bolt as a POS and as plentiful as they are, you can usually pick up a spare 10 bolt for next to nothing. I've seen them from haul it off for me, to $25, $50 and $100. Not bad to scoop one up if it's cheap and throw it behind the shed for a spare set of axles, stub shafts, carrier, hubs, knuckles or whatever, and the gear ratio doesn't matter if the purpose is just spare parts. I'll be keeping this 3.08 open front 10 bolt that's coming out of my K10 just for spare parts after I swap in the 10 bolt set up with 4.10's and ARB Air Locker.
So, is it true that the 89 up K5s have 30 spline axles? And if so is there a way to tell this from the outside as to whats inside?

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Sure enough. Go ahead. Just do it. Try to break it. It'll hold up just fine. Provided it's in good shape, and most are up to about 500,000 miles or more if kept full of good oil, you'll break a transmission or transfer case before you break the rear end in a 14b Full Floater. Yes, the Full Float is stronger. About equal to a Dana 70.
Burnouts. Lots of burnouts. I see lots of burnouts in my future after reading this thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad