Sport suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have finally decided what I want to do with the suspension on my c10. It is already lowered with a cut coil in the front and a flip in the rear. I know its heavy as crap but I really want to make it into a sport type truck. Fast in the corners as well as straight away. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attain this? I do not want to use bags. Its not really feasible where I live.

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Wow that's a sweet setup. Its a little more than I want to do though. I was thinking more of good sway bars and maybe frame boxing in certain places. I should have mentioned that I'm trying to accomplish this as kind of a low budget build. The body is a little beat up, so I am wanting it to be more of a sleeper than anything

77nomad

Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
You can order leafs from Landrum in what ever rate you want. But You need to know where are and what you need. Then I'm sure a front coil can be made somewhere for not too much more than off the shelf pieces. There are plenty of tubular arms available. Slap a 1ton bar on the front is an option. I have seen aftermarket front bars, not sure on rears though.

My truck is already set with a 383 and a ST 10 four speed from a car. I too plan on turning. I also ditched the saddle tanks and have a 16 gallon cell between the frame rails. I dont have a weight number yet but I am WAY lighter than stock. Wheel wells are gone. Any frame bracket that wasnt important is gone. In all reality the truck arm set up would be best for handling. I would like to do it myself but I have two projects going at this point and money wont allow it.

My '80 Camaro pulls 1+ G's on the skid pad. The supension is pure race though. Every conceivable change has been made short of putting a 4 link in from DSE or something similar.

Start with the stiffest bars you can find. There are two ways to turn. Stiff springs and light bars and stiff bars and light springs. The 1 ton bar isnt hard to swap. A rear bar wouldnt be hard to do. I havent really looked deep into it but it can be done I'm sure. Finally there is always bagging. I know there are may kits out there. Good luck!

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Do the tubular arms really make a difference? And by stiff bars you mean the sway bars?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bang for the buck, it's hard to beat a basic lowering job, thick front bar and a rear bar, faster ratio steering box, and fat tires.

77nomad

Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Most arms wont. Im not really sure when it comes to the trucks. My Camaro has a redesigned upper arm for more caster. And yes sway bars. Almost forgot about steering box. I have a 12:1 in the car but a cheep alternative is a Iroc box.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most arms wont. Im not really sure when it comes to the trucks. My Camaro has a redesigned upper arm for more caster. And yes sway bars. Almost forgot about steering box. I have a 12:1 in the car but a cheep alternative is a Iroc box.

Unfortunately, the Camaro box won't work in a truck since it mounts to the wrong side of the frame. And actually, the Z28 box is best for most applications... you don't lose anything on your turning radius that way.

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
OK so are the aftermarket sway bars better or should I go with a one ton bar in the front

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Lmc has performance sway bars but you know they love their prices. Well I take that back they are only 200 a piece. If you have a magazine go to page 144.

Last edited:

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ill check it out. Can you really own a square and not get the lmc catalog? It seems there is a law about that. haha

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Cause you can get anything you need. But since your in NC Id look up Daves Truck Parts. Www.davestruckparts.net they are located in claremont, nc. They have everything that lmc has but shipping will prob be cheaper. Number is 828-695-8033

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
Bumping this thread as I am looking to do some more performance mods to my lowered square. Mainly looking for beefier front and rear sway bars. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35