Spark plugs for 87 350 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cheapes bid is how the MT. D.O.T. purchases parts.
They had a run of them bosch plugs. The 427 Gas dump trucks would get so hot, it would blow the porcelan right off the metal hex head.

2 plugs I always avoid, Bosch and Champion. Believe it or not, Motorcraft plugs even work well in Old School, non computer controlled small blocks with a 1 step down in what the book calls for in temp. Running a cool Motorcraft plug worked great for high performance. If you had a cylinder that was consistantly getting a carbon fouled and you KNEW it wasn't a bad wire or bad spot on the dizzy cap, then step that one cylinder up to the hotter plug that book called for. I usually had issues with cyl #7 and ran a different plug.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
2 plugs I always avoid, Bosch and Champion. Believe it or not, Motorcraft plugs even work well in Old School, non computer controlled small blocks with a 1 step down in what the book calls for in temp. Running a cool Motorcraft plug worked great for high performance. If you had a cylinder that was consistantly getting a carbon fouled and you KNEW it was a bad wire or bad spot on the dizzy cap, then step that one cylinder up to the hotter plug that book called for. I usually had issues with cyl #7 and ran a different plug.
DOT never had a run of MotorCraft plugs, the must have been too expensive. :roflbow:
I guess I had never tried Motorcraft plugs in any of My GM vehicles, I always stayed with the AC/Delco plugs and parts.
I wonder if it would have done the same, with Your number seven cylinder, if You would have tried a AC plug in there instead of a motorcraft, maby AC/Delco does`nt make stepped plugs like that, IDK, I never had to make an exception for a cylinder or two.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That sounds like some BS. You can check RockAuto.com and get our 5% discount and no sales tax if you're not in a hurry and have about 3-4 days to wait.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That sounds like some BS. You can check RockAuto.com and get our 5% discount and no sales tax if you're not in a hurry and have about 3-4 days to wait.

Rock Auto is good.
I`m not having problems with needing one or two plugs hotter than the others so, IDK if AC makes stepped plugs.
My 1976 FLH Harley, Shovel Head engine, I would run the rear cylinder with a cooler plug but, I used NGKs in that.
Rear cylinder with a cooler plug to allow that cylinder to run just slightly cooler as, the heat from the front cylinder would make the rear run a bit warmer, just trying to equal things out.
it seemed to work as I had over fifty thousand on that engine, after I rebuilt it at about five thousand, due to bearing failure from condensation creating rusted bearings. Also, that bike had gone through a flood but was supposedly all dried out, by the previous owner, through a mechanic that was very familiar with wrenching on Harleys, a Man that I would trust with working on Mine and, that does1nt happen ofeten, to trust someone elses workmanship On one of My Harleys.:hat:

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I'm gona give these a shot and see what happens. I'd like to do a MSD upgrade eventually. A modern computer ignition system is sensitive to plug type but I wouldn't think something like what's in this truck would be sensitive to platinums.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm gona give these a shot and see what happens. I'd like to do a MSD upgrade eventually. A modern computer ignition system is sensitive to plug type but I wouldn't think something like what's in this truck would be sensitive to platinums.

Do Not use platinum plugs with a distributor cap ignition system!

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Do Not use platinum plugs with a distributor cap ignition system!

I haven't done it, but why is that? Hadn't heard that before.

I will say this, I just got mine all buttoned back together and stayed up waxing it til after midnight Sat. Sun, I pull it out for a crush, and the thing was running like pure crap. If you get down on it, it feels like you're pulling an RV behind it--making noise, but not much acceleration. If you ease on it, (which is what I was doing) you could actually feel it smooth out and start to surge every so often, then choke back down. Could also feel it on idle--it would be vibrating on idle, then spordically smooth our for a couple secs.

After finishing my errands, I pulled it back in the garage to have some shade and started looking for the arcing. I heard it ticking on the PS, so I looked there. Sure enough, the #8 plug was popping. Figured I must not have gotten the wire snapped on good. Popped the wire off, reattached....same thing. Stared at it a lil longer and realized what I was seeing was an arcing were the porcelain meets the nut. I tried to get a video of it to post here, but it was too small to see on the clip. I'm guessing I got a back plug, so I bought another this morning. Gonna try to change it out sometime this week. That's the only reason I could think of to explain one popping at the base like that.

That being said, for those bursts of good power between arcing, she was good! LOL! I still would only do Delcos. I did the Rapid Fires in my 402 in Chevelle and that SOB ran like it got a fresh rebuild! May do 'em in the square next time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
DOT never had a run of MotorCraft plugs, the must have been too expensive. :roflbow:
I guess I had never tried Motorcraft plugs in any of My GM vehicles, I always stayed with the AC/Delco plugs and parts.
I wonder if it would have done the same, with Your number seven cylinder, if You would have tried a AC plug in there instead of a motorcraft, maby AC/Delco does`nt make stepped plugs like that, IDK, I never had to make an exception for a cylinder or two.

Motorcraft plugs are the same cost a basic AC Delcos. For a stocker, I'd run the AC Delcos. And BTW, when I say Motorcraft, that does NOT mean Autolite. Don't confuse the 2 as being Ford Products.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And BTW, when I say Motorcraft, that does NOT mean Autolite. Don't confuse the 2 as being Ford Products.
:bowroflwerd6: OOOH, I already knewd that :roflbow:
In engines that have a champion designation, I always use the Autolites, with the smaller electrode, if I can get them in that application. has always worked good for Me. :insane:

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I got the plugs today. They were labeled as platinums in the computer but they're standard 41-905's with the standard electrode.

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
454 TBI TH400 4:11 gears
I use NGK in mines no problem so far , I even use it in my bbc in the chevelle no problems here

Reactions: WFO

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I came from imports so I'm familiar with NGK's and used em in everything but didnt know they would work in an older american vehicle.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I use NGK in mines no problem so far , I even use it in my bbc in the chevelle no problems here

What setup is in your Chevelle? Old school block? Newer crate?

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
What setup is in your Chevelle? Old school block? Newer crate?

You must be registered for see images attach

its a 1988 mark iv the last set of blocks b4 they went to 1pc rear seal
You must be registered for see images

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
I came from imports so I'm familiar with NGK's and used em in everything but didnt know they would work in an older american vehicle.

they are very easy to read especially with nitrous, just cross reference them with a/c delco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL