SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME very appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Do I need any special tools to do this and will it smack me in the face if the gears r bad or do I have to look for specifics I'm borrow the pops truck so I'm Gunna start picking at it tomorrow I aprciate all u guys sorry about Ur rig man that's what I'm doing with this motor see what I can do with different heads and cam and stuff just need to pass smog one time so I can register it at GMA's in lake county

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Harmonic balance puller/installer is about it for special tools.

BUT, lets verify that is your issue first. At this forum, we're not PARTS CHANGERS. We diagnose and repair.

Now, if you really want to do it, you're not wasting your money. It's time to be done. However, SBCs are not zero clearance motors, so no permanent harm done if you lose the chain all together. Unlike a Honda, break a timing belt, you pretty much need a new head cuz your valves are all bent over and maybe holes in pistons.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh no that's terrible hopefully u get that all worked out u have it set up or what hot out there huh hey do I need any special tools to change the timing chain and is there any perticular things I should look out for if the gears r bad or will it smack me in the face u guys r so dam awesome can't wait to share what hapens hopefully get it settled away

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry didn't think that posted scratch the second one

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My thinking was hotrodpc that if I'm in there it has a hundred thousand I mind as well change it u know I'm hoping and praying that's the problem I'm Gunna start tomorrow so we will know real soon well my knowledge is a couple steps past a parts chnager so glad I have u guys helping me out

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My thinking was hotrodpc that if I'm in there it has a hundred thousand I mind as well change it u know I'm hoping and praying that's the problem I'm Gunna start tomorrow so we will know real soon well my knowledge is a couple steps past a parts chnager so glad I have u guys helping me out

It's pretty much a straight forward process. The only special tools you should is the harmonic puller installer tool so you can get it off and back on without damaging it or other things. The biggest bitch in my opinion it lowering the oil pan just enough to get the timing cover off without bending the gasket flange.

Auto Zone has the balancer puller installer tool on their loan tool program.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're in Santa Rosa? As in New Mexico? They should have all the discount auto parts there like VAto Zone, O'Reillys, Advanced Auto etc ?

Here's a double roller kit with both gears and chain for $25 at Auto Zone, then you'd need your timing cover gasket kit, prolly another $20 or so. Try to get the Fel Pro if you have a choice and it should also include a new front seal.

Timing Kit/Component/Timing Set

For your 1986 Chevrolet Truck C10 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L Carburetor OHV 8cyl
Part #73017-3
Price: $24.99

You may also choose just to get a new timing cover that comes with all new seals and gaskets. Looks like it's $13 at Vato Zone.

Dorman/Timing Cover

For your 1986 Chevrolet Truck C10 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L Carburetor OHV 8cyl
Part # Dorman 635-509
Price: $12.99

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know I keep saying it but u guys are a HUGE help I'm off to work I will let u know later today what the chain looks thank you very very much and yes oriellys Napa smoothers is our places I'll head down there and that's awesome I love wen stuff is cheap

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I know I keep saying it but u guys are a HUGE help I'm off to work I will let u know later today what the chain looks thank you very very much and yes oriellys Napa smoothers is our places I'll head down there and that's awesome I love wen stuff is cheap

Question....I can't hold it in any longer. Are you posting from a Phone?

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you are using a phone take pictures of the front of your engine so you have a general idea of how everything goes back together.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I changed my cam without any problems...I just loosend the pan bolts, 4 down each side, and it flexed enough to get the timing cove roff and back on. Use a razor blad to make clean cuts where the pan and cover separate. Use a dab of RTV where the cuts were made, but clean the surfaces with MEK first.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Per HotRodPC:

BUT, lets verify that is your issue first. At this forum, we're not PARTS CHANGERS. We diagnose and repair.

Did you do the procedure to check for excessive lost motion in the timing chain?

If so, how many degrees did the crank need to be rotated before the rotor began to move?

I would do it first. It is an easy test and will be a big help in diagnosing your issue.

If the rotor moves almost immediately when the crank is rotated - I wouldn't waste your time money on a timing set. Your problem lies elsewhere.

If the crank needs to be rotated over an inch (on the OD of the balancer) to move the rotor, change the timing set.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes I'm on a phone prolly tell by how i spell huh internet got shut off so phone it is I took the radiator out and stared undoing all the belts I didn't do that test hand spinning the motor i just started to go for it I still can though and I think that's what I will do so I just take the distributor cap off is that what ur saying

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So wen I spin the motor the direction its normally going anybmovement at all to the crank the rotor spins do I need to spin the motor back and fourth or is one direction okay

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yes, that is what I'm saying. Definitely- check for a slack chain before tearing everything out.

You seem to have decided that the timing set needs to be changed only on the off-hand advice of a person that hasn't ever even seen your truck.

Consider the source. I wasn't offering a sure cure, only a possible diagnosis.

Do you have catylitic converters? They could be plugged up.

Did you check your valve lifter preload. Although, if you have not been into the motor that probably is not the issue.

But how about a compression test?

At least do a compression test. The rig costs less than $20 at Harbor Freight. The whole procdure takes only about an hour and can tell you if your valves are tight and properly timed/lashed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85