SOLD Please Take This 305.SOLD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Whats the pros/ cons them vs. vortecs? I know nothing about heads(obviously) and i havent researched, just happened to be cuirios about them about the time u mendtioned them. Had thoughts of maybe someday votec heads on my 350, now not sure which direction to go. Again, no research yet and just thinking way down the road. So, thanks for the info.
OHhhhh go Vortecs for sure. Without a doubt hands down the vortecs have much bigger ports and breathe soooooooooooooooo much better. That's not even debatable, go Vortec.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The 062/996s destroy the 416s in mutual stock forms. A serious port job on the 416s will flow the same or a little better than stock Vortecs, but then you can get work done on the Vortecs and you have not as much disparity but still some. The biggest hang ups on the Vortecs are the stock springs if you want more than .450 lift and a tendency to crack more than older style heads. You just gotta be careful when buying used ones.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Good info guys, thanks. Sorry to hyjack

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
No worries. The good fellow above is taking that bad boy off my hands, and if it gets a K5 on the road without being too much of a PITA, I’m happy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wasn't even aware old school heads good even be ported enough to work as well as Vortecs at all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am not sure if my guy flaked out or not. He said he was leaving for NOLA on Sunday or Monday. I tried calling him Monday and Tuesday to see if he'd made it. No answer. But he did post a pic of his dog at his shop here in OKC Tuesday evening. So makes me think he's still here in OKC and maybe didn't go on that run to NOLA. Maybe it's just postponed I don't know.

At any rate, if anyone else wants this Wee O Five, don't hold up cuz of me unless I say my guy is on his way to get it. Someone put it to good use before it goes to the scrapper.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I am not sure if my guy flaked out or not. He said he was leaving for NOLA on Sunday or Monday. I tried calling him Monday and Tuesday to see if he'd made it. No answer. But he did post a pic of his dog at his shop here in OKC Tuesday evening. So makes me think he's still here in OKC and maybe didn't go on that run to NOLA. Maybe it's just postponed I don't know.

At any rate, if anyone else wants this Wee O Five, don't hold up cuz of me unless I say my guy is on his way to get it. Someone put it to good use before it goes to the scrapper.

I told you that I had been looking around for a shitbox truck with a cooked motor to drop this one in and let it ride. I took this as my cue to look, and I picked up a ‘90 K1500 4x4 tonight with a burnt 305 for $700. It’s got the NV3500(?), A/C, power windows and locks, cruise (I think)... I just gotta move this 305 to the other house, go through it, and plop the TBI business on it. I hope that’s alright with you. That way if it’s a lemon, I don’t have to feel bad sending it to you, I get to save a truck, own a standard, and have a work truck that I desperately need. I am definitely gonna scrap the 305 shortblock in this one, though. My dad put a lot of money in that 305 not knowing much about them. The hot rod engines of his youth had displacements in the 200s, and he felt it was almost as good as a 350 so what the hell. The motor will be in a work truck across the street from its former owner’s house who died of brain cancer in 2005. It’s all very fitting, I think.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice, so you have a purpose for the engine now. And it's 4x4 too. $700 is a steal. Hey, I'm all good with that. I just wanted to see it go to good use and even though I'm not all that thrilled about a 305, if it would have gotten my K5 moving on it's own power and I could arange the ride, I'd put it to use. It worked out better IMO. You may have seen my K5 thread. I think I'm going the BORROW the power plant intended for my K10/20 project to get the K5 running, until I can build the 350 and an 89 700r4 I have. So away with the Wee O Five and the crappy 86 700r4. I'll add some beefier parts to the better 89 core and hope it holds up to the 350 which is should since it has 3.73 gears and stock tire for now. So yeah, it's all good. I'm glad you found a good use for it. :waytogo: I'll make it SOLD for now.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Nice, so you have a purpose for the engine now. And it's 4x4 too. $700 is a steal. Hey, I'm all good with that. I just wanted to see it go to good use and even though I'm not all that thrilled about a 305, if it would have gotten my K5 moving on it's own power and I could arange the ride, I'd put it to use. It worked out better IMO. You may have seen my K5 thread. I think I'm going the BORROW the power plant intended for my K10/20 project to get the K5 running, until I can build the 350 and an 89 700r4 I have. So away with the Wee O Five and the crappy 86 700r4. I'll add some beefier parts to the better 89 core and hope it holds up to the 350 which is should since it has 3.73 gears and stock tire for now. So yeah, it's all good. I'm glad you found a good use for it. :waytogo: I'll make it SOLD for now.

Okay, I’m glad we’re on the same page here. I don’t mind replacing a 305 with another 305. Plus, I own a standard now. I’ve gotten too cozy with all the automatics. I saw what was cooking on your build thread, and I hope it all works out. Hopefully I can help you out at a later time in the future or vice versa.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Okay, I’m glad we’re on the same page here. I don’t mind replacing a 305 with another 305. Plus, I own a standard now. I’ve gotten too cozy with all the automatics. I saw what was cooking on your build thread, and I hope it all works out. Hopefully I can help you out at a later time in the future or vice versa.
Yeah, it's all good. I'm just glad to see it go to good use. Hopefully it all works out well in that project. That NV3500 isn't a bad transmission. It's not as strong as an NV4500 but it doesn't have to be. It'll work real well in that truck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, it's all good. I'm just glad to see it go to good use. Hopefully it all works out well in that project. That NV3500 isn't a bad transmission. It's not as strong as an NV4500 but it doesn't have to be. It'll work real well in that truck.

I’m assuming that’s what it is unless they put the 4500 in a half ton. It came to me in the dark, and I didn’t feel like giving it the full ocular pat down.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I’m assuming that’s what it is unless they put the 4500 in a half ton. It came to me in the dark, and I didn’t feel like giving it the full ocular pat down.
Iirc the 1/2 tons did get the nv3500. Looks like it'll be a nice truck. Might need some rear cab mounts though.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Iirc the 1/2 tons did get the nv3500. Looks like it'll be a nice truck. Might need some rear cab mounts though.

That bed’s pretty well cocked over toward the driver side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narr