sloppy steering.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On my 82 C10 I took her for a drive, and noticed play in the steering. It felt like it wasn't steering the truck the first inch-ish of rotation of the wheel. I did a pre-check of the tie rod ends, and they're tight. With the truck off I can turn the wheel side to side with one finger. Thinking the gearbox is worn out.

Any suggestions or any known adjustments that can be made?

*edit. I was going to post a video clip of what the wheel is doing but can't figure out how*

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You probably should look at the rag joint and make sure it is still good. Have someone get in the truck and turn the wheel with it off while you look down at the gear box. If there is no play in the steering shaft input, then you will probably see the input shaft on the gearbox turn a bunch before you see any movement on the output shaft. You can try and take the gearbox out and adjust it, but I've seen people have issues with that.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
If you want to adjust the steering slop in the box
Look On top of the steering box, there's a Allen head set screw with a lock nut on it sticking out of the aluminum cap.

Loosen the lock nut, with the correct Allen wrench in the set screw, take very very FINE turns clockwise with the Allen wrench,
Id say, 1/16th turns at a time, tighten the lock nut back down, test.

For minimal slop, you can safely take it out with the box adjustment screw. It brings the steering sector shaft closer to the rotary valve's worm screw.

If you have excessive amounts of slop, like 1/4-1/2 wheel turns before the steering linkage moves, it'd be in your best interest to just replace the box.

In a perfect world, gear on gear would be the tightest, most precision machine, but it would wear quickly.

The factory setting from the rotary valve wormscrew to the sector shaft leaves a bit of gap, that gap increases over time.

Give it just small, fine adjustments and test it out, IF you determine the box is the cause of the slop, which it more than likely is.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Don't have any pics right in hand, but this is from when I was porting my steering box for hydraulic assist.

Look at the set screw and nut sticking out of the aluminum cap.

That's the adjustment screw I'm referring to.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You are supposed to adjust the pre-load nut on the input shaft BEFORE adjusting that screw on the cover there. If the pre-load on the input isn't properly set, you can damage the gearbox. You have to unhook the input and pitman arm in order to properly set those.

If you choose to just try and take a little slop out by adjusting the top screw, be very careful and make small adjustments.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Also check the pitman arm joint to intermediate rod for excess play.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Sounds like you have all the answers, I'll leave it with you.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You probably should look at the rag joint and make sure it is still good. Have someone get in the truck and turn the wheel with it off while you look down at the gear box. If there is no play in the steering shaft input, then you will probably see the input shaft on the gearbox turn a bunch before you see any movement on the output shaft. You can try and take the gearbox out and adjust it, but I've seen people have issues with that.
If you’re meaning the rubber part at the steering column thats actually something that was perfect. No damage or tears in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Also check the pitman arm joint to intermediate rod for excess play.
Would that have any noticeable play if trying to move it underneath the truck?

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You are supposed to adjust the pre-load nut on the input shaft BEFORE adjusting that screw on the cover there. If the pre-load on the input isn't properly set, you can damage the gearbox. You have to unhook the input and pitman arm in order to properly set those.

If you choose to just try and take a little slop out by adjusting the top screw, be very careful and make small adjustments.
Is it something that’s best replaced if it has excessive play in it?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Would that have any noticeable play if trying to move it underneath the truck?

It would be side to side play when rocking the steering wheel, most likely a 2 person job. Someone in the pu turning the wheel back and forth, while you are on the ground watching for movement in the joint.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looks like the gearbox is just flat out wore out. The shaft that comes out of the bottom of the gearbox and connects to the pitman arm was chalk full of play. I could see it moving side to side within the steering box itself, and it looks like it had leaked, as it was cruddy likely from grease. Fortunately no cracks to the frame, and all other suspension components were OK. Time to order a replacement unit since the old gearbox is shot.

wingman50

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Had a similar issue with my steering. Went to replace the steering gear and discovered it had pulled away from the frame. Had to weld about a 1 inch piece onto the frame to be able to replace the steering gear.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah I was lucky. No frame issues. The bolts needed replacing as they had the gear off at one time and used washers for spacers [emoji849]

TWreavis

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Ive been dealing with a similar issue. I swapped out my original steering box for a new one and everything was great for about 50 miles or so. Then I noticed I was starting to get the play back into the steering that i originally had. did a full inspection of the steering system and found that the "new" gear box was defective and had a minuscule crack in the housing. Smaller than I could see but large enough that when I turned the wheel fluid was pushing out of it. sent it back in since it was under warranty and now am on a second new one and its still sloppy. Time to do another thorough check of everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512