Single din install problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
bought an 87K5 for my highschooler. trying to install a single din. Aside from the fact that all the wiring is hacked and connections are made with household wire nuts, Im making progress cleaning all that crap out. I found the yellow, black and gray wires and have read I will need to install a constant B+. Thats all fine.

However, in reading about actually installing, it seems people are cutting out the dash using a template. The PO cut and bent the ears for the old radio back, which will not make for a quality install. Was thinking I could weld in a piece of sheetmetal to fill the hole, and then cut out for the single din cage. Any other ideas?
Has anyone successfully mounted a double din right there? Thats a pretty big hole.

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 50

sickchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Before I'd hack the dash out I would buy a 2 knob Bluetooth unit. It weights nothing and just mounts using the knob holes. Fm/Bluetooth to the phone.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
its already been hacked. I can either weld this back up, or weld in a patch panel I guess.

Ill have to look into the 2 knob thing. do you mean a retro sound radio?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Cutting the old dash to install a DIN style radio was popular when folks wanted to have space for a CD or MP3 disc player. Now most drivers use Bluetooth, USB memory stick, XM radio or other ways to access a large number of songs. Your dash is less molested than most, so I would just use a two post radio setup that has USB or Bluetooth.

Retrosound has a really flexible setup, but it’s also usually quite expensive. I think you could find multiple other options for a two post radio with modern features.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@plugugly, They make a template that connects to three faceplate corner screws on dash and it works real well. Some kits are made of plastic (what we used) some are steel depends on vendor. The radio slides in, then faceplate then dash bezel and you are finished. There is no weight to the stereos these days and they don’t move. I will try and find the link to the mounting kit

Randy and E

Attachments

• IMG_9912.jpeg
    IMG_9912.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 53

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
thanks all. Finally found that metra kit on late night intenet search and ordered it. Im guessing that is why the PO bent the ears back instead of cut them out, so that it may be returned to a two post.

Reactions: WFO

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
thanks all. Finally found that metra kit on late night intenet search and ordered it. Im guessing that is why the PO bent the ears back instead of cut them out, so that it may be returned to a two post.
If your metro kit doesn't work out... I fixed one like this for the highshool kid that used to mow my lawn, he had a K5 that someone cut up for like a DIN & Half. I just used a scrap piece of thin soft sheetmetal and a few low profile sheetmetal screws, no real need to weld the radio hole up it just needs to be able to support the new radio.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
or use a radio with a remote control and install it under the seat. I like the two knob idea.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@plugugly , the kit when you get it has the two post holes intact on the template… you cut those out and you are good to go if that’s the route you choose.

Post pics when you’re finished ! We love pictures

Scribbles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@plugugly, They make a template that connects to three faceplate corner screws on dash and it works real well. Some kits are made of plastic (what we used) some are steel depends on vendor. The radio slides in, then faceplate then dash bezel and you are finished. There is no weight to the stereos these days and they don’t move. I will try and find the link to the mounting kit

Randy and E
I have installed so many of those ABS Plastic plates over the years and they work great. but I almost always have built at least a little pod under the dash or even better a console to fit a double din below the dash.
Here are a couple examples.
They could easily be double Din radios in all of them but only the 1st is a Squarebody and owned by a baseball player hence the baseball stitching on it.

Attachments

• Baseball Console.jpg
    Baseball Console.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Donk Console.jpg
    Donk Console.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Mustang Console.jpg
    Mustang Console.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 29

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
thats nice, but I have a floor shift tcase and I dont want to encourage my teenager to be loowing down quite so much. Great for an adult tho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod