Should I Drive My Truck To OBX For Our Annual Beach Vacation

Should I drive my truck to the OBX for our vacation and 4x4 on the beach or not risk it?

• No, don't put the miles on it and expose it to beach elements.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Hello GMSB.com,
I am contemplating driving my 87 V10 to the OBX. We go every year as a family and my wife's Mom and Pops, Brother's family, and extended family also join. I want to use the truck to haul luggage and supplies and I think I want to take it on the beach as you can acess it just north of Corolla down there. The PO told me he took it down there out on the beach a couple of times. I have never utilized the trucks 4x4 aside from showing the transfer case some love on our river house's dirt road driveway. I have been skeptical because I am paranoid about the undercarriage being near the ocean, but, it has been before, and we would only be there for a week. I would also plan to clean the under carriage when we get home. I don't want to do anything wild and crazy, I just want to get the truck out on the sand with my son, daughter, and nephews, and the wife if she's lucky, to enjoy a cruise on the sand. Let me know if y'all think yay or nay. Give me your pros and cons. Of course getting there I will be as ready as possible but that will probably be the biggest challenge. It is only 178 miles one way.

boblee09

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would take a little detour and hit the beach on the Ocracoke island. You can drive for miles and miles. Be sure to air your tires down though. You don’t want to pay that tow bill or be made fun of on any of the “island idiot” pages. I’d also recommend a bug tamer suit or your favorite mosquito repellent. It’s a great time in one of the most unique beaches around. Make some memories!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Definitely take it if you want to.

It’s just a squarebody, not a concourse Ferrari 250 GTO.

Go have fun with the family and make some memories. You can’t take it with you in the end.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Have taken mine to Bonneville a few times, way more salt, wash the heck out of it when I got home. The guys down there have some spray on stuff they use B-4 going out, but I don't know what it is. Hey man, make some memories, enjoy your family, then wash her down.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
You absolutely should. Just clean it well when you get home. The only reason I haven't had my truck on the beach is it being closed any time I've been there.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
x14 from me, you should do it. If you really want to protect it, get a water hose and sprinkler at home base for the trip, and when you return for the day, park on top of it and turn on the sprinkler. Move it after a bit to make sure you get all of it, or drive very slowly over the sprinkler for the full length of the truck. I take my '87 Suburban on the Galveston beach, rinse it 2-3 times during the week and once really good at home and don't have any issues. Of course, after my last trip with the Suburban, most of undercarriage has a nice coating of ATF and so rust is not as much concern, but I wouldn't recommend that option :(

On the sand, drive easy, feel free to let some air out before you go, and just cruise in 4 hi. Slight momentum is your friend, don't turn your wheels while sitting still, and just generally avoid digging your tires in. Bring it back up to full pressure before the highway trip home and you should be fine. Or run a compromise pressure for the full trip and don't worry too much about it, as long as you aren't loading it up too heavy for the highway portion.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^ this is exactly what I do after the winter weather is done. Sprinkler, park over it, turn on water, let set for 5 minutes, move forward or rearward, which ever, the right distance and repeat til you got the whole rig washed off!!! Works well!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^ this is exactly what I do after the winter weather is done. Sprinkler, park over it, turn on water, let set for 5 minutes, move forward or rearward, which ever, the right distance and repeat til you got the whole rig washed off!!! Works well!!
what kind of sprinkler? The one that rotates back and forth or the spitting kind, or a fixed angle/output kind?

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I've used the fan type (flat "blade" of water going side to side in 5-10 seconds) and the spot type/rotating random/kids running through and jumping over type. Mainly something that sprays up more than out. The Fan style worked great for getting mud off too, I placed it on top of each tire and ran it for a few minutes while doing other chores, swapping to the next tire when the water ran clear.
An old coworker told me about it. He had 3 or 4 rigged up somewhat permanent for his old driveway when he lived in the salt belt. Before pulling in the driveway, he would turn it on and easy slowly through before parking in the garage, getting the outsides and 1 or 2 between the wheels such that the frame and everything was hit from multiple directions. There was some kind of freeze protection too, maybe he blew the lines out with air when he pulled in? And I think floor drains in the garage? It was quite the setup, but I just remembered the sprinkler concept to use later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crick13