Shock Length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My wife and I have been gone about 3 weeks, so time to get back on the K10 project

About a month ago I replaced the original 2 leaf front springs on my 79 K10 SWB with the heavier duty 3 leaf springs.

Original specs:
•Spring Capacity = 1200 lbs
•Width = 2-1/2
•# of Leaves = 2
•Measures (A/B) = 23-1/2 x 23-1/2
•Pack Thickness = 1

Installed specs:
•Spring Capacity = 1400 lbs
•Width = 2-1/2
•# of Leaves = 3
•Measures (A/B) = 23-1/2 x 23-1/2
•Pack Thickness = 1-7/16

The new springs appear to have raised the front end by about 1.5-2 inches. However, I really don't know how much because I did not take before/after measurements. I noticed the ride was harsher and it seemed to top out. After looking at the shocks I now know why :) ... It appears the shocks that are on the truck are way too short as there is only about 1" of travel to full length from the rested position to fully extended..

I have looked all over and have not found anything that tells me how much travel I should have from a rested position to fully extended. I thought about ordering shocks for a 2" lift, but seems like that would still not provide the shocks enough travel.

Please advise.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I am sure the total travel distance varies between shocks and the manufacturer, but it would be a safe assumption that it should be than an inch.

Here is the spec sheet for the correct Munroe Gas Magnums for your truck (34944) - with the stock springs . FWIW, I use them on my 1986 1 ton and they work well. You'll notice that something is drastically wrong - either with the installation - or the application:

Upper Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.3/8" Sleeve OAL

Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing& Sleeve Mount - 1/2" Sleeve ID X 1.3/8" Sleeve OAL

Compressed Length 11.750"

Extended Length 18.375"

Travel Length 6.625"

Dust Shield Yes

Parts Pack(s) P816

Compressed Bumper Stop No

Extended Bumper Stop No

Extended Hydraulic Lockout No

Dust Shield Material Metal

Here's one thing I can't follow you on however:

It appears the shocks that are on the truck are way too short as there is only about 1" of travel to full length from the rested position to fully extended..

Since shock absorbers are generally designed to work under compression loads - and default to the extended position when there is no load - wouldn't an increase in axle to frame height actually stretch the shock out? And - you know - provide for greater travel length?

In other words, I could understand you getting a bottom out issue - if the the new spring packs had reduced the axle-to-frame height and you had to really squeeze the shocks in. But as I read it, they gained 1.5 inches of room to stretch out - and consequently also gained that much in travel distance.

IDK - it's been a long night - maybe I'm just punchy.

You must be registered for see images attach

BTW - in case you are wondering, those are Munroe Gas Magnums (34944's) in the image above. It is just my habit to sandblast and recoat a new set of shocks as soon as they come out of the box. Partly to lose that ****** yellow paint job that Munroe supplies. They seem to last a lot longer and look better as well - I think anyway.

Last edited:

dirtroadoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
What I do is 1) Remove the shocks, 2) lift the truck and let the suspension sag, 3) Measure shock bolts center-center for extended length, 4) Let the truck back down, 5) jack up ONE SIDE of the axle you're working on until it's fully compressed and won't compress further (axle would be contacting your bump-stops), measure compressed length needed by the same means as extended was determined.

Next, you can go to www.autopartswarehouse.com and shop 5100 series bilstein shocks by length. They usually have great pricing but you can use the part number that you get from that site to compare pricing elsewhere.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Let me clarify... When the truck is on the ground in normal driving position, the front shocks are all the way to the extended position except about 1.5 ".. so when I hit a bump, the truck has ONLY about 1.5" of travel to the TOP of the shock...

Also, everything is installed correctly...

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would thing shocks for a 2.5" lift would work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would thing shocks for a 2.5" lift would work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the factory spring packs 2 or 3 leaf take the same shock. a stock shock will work just fine. however dirtroadoutlaw gave the correct way to measure for shocks. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
FYI even the cheapest after market shock is an upgrade over stock shocks and the after markets are cheaper too.

Paid close to $80 for a HD stock munroe steering stabilizer. Paid $50 for a pro comp which has a larger diameter cylinder and much firmer over the HD stock one.

I always use boots for my shocks and they last for years and years.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
the factory spring packs 2 or 3 leaf take the same shock. a stock shock will work just fine. however dirtroadoutlaw gave the correct way to measure for shocks. highdesertranger

I ordered the 22-402, (http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/22-402.htm) which is suppose to be the stock 3 leaf spring, but it is NOT the same arch as the stock spring. The stock spring has a negative 2" arch, the 22-402 is 7/16" thicker and has a positive arc of almost 2" which basically is a 4" lift compared to the stock spring.

The ride is so stiff I have decided to take the stock springs to a spring rebuilder and have them re-arch to factory specs and then reinstall them instead of ordering another set of springs.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks...

The PO installed Monroe Gas shocks with upper covers... I am going back to the original springs and thus will use the Monroe shocks that I already have.

FYI even the cheapest after market shock is an upgrade over stock shocks and the after markets are cheaper too.

Paid close to $80 for a HD stock munroe steering stabilizer. Paid $50 for a pro comp which has a larger diameter cylinder and much firmer over the HD stock one.

I always use boots for my shocks and they last for years and years.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After posting the last couple of messages, I decided to send a message to General Springs KC and see what they have to say, and in looking at the arch, with weight on the front end they do have a negative arch. Maybe the springs are fine and the restricted movement of the shocks is causing the stiff ride. So, we will wait and see what General Springs KC has to say before I do anything else.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, I will post what the solution is.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I still have not received a call from General Springs KC so I took my old springs to a spring rebuild shop in Fort Worth and had them reached. Picked them up yesterday and reinstalled, drives like it should and ride height is only about 1" higher than it was.

The only issue I have is that the spring shop charged me twice what I heard him state was the price. He stated $95 and I asked if that was per spring or both springs, he said "total plus tax" so I assumed both springs for $95, which was not the case. If he had been more clear then I would have ordered new 2 leaf springs as that would have saved me some money!

Now I have a set of new, only have about 150 miles on them, 3 leaf 22-402 springs and bushings, to put up for sale.

Thanks for all the post and helpful info!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub