Shift kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wow....really? Have I just gotten lucky with my kit? :hmm:
You probably got the "Shift Improver" kit not the slam bam one those will cause parts breakage unless you baby it all the time.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A note about 350's, if all you want is harder shifts and you're going into the tranny you don't need a shift kit, dual feed 2-3 and drill the feed holes in the plate, takes 10 minutes and it's free, this does the same as a kit but without the extra gasket to blow out.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
The -2 kit will have a nice firm shift under easy throttle but the harder you get on it the harder it shifts and will break the tires loose under full throttle.

Gotcha! Makes some sense. This is what I am after.

I've used both. Research the B&M kit - it's an eye opener.

Thanks for the info! I have researched the kits but maybe not deep enough. The reviews for the kits are just about the install, not about how they perform. Sounds like trans go has 2 votes and b&m 1.

It's all good, sir :handshake: I'm sure Ryan appreciates all of the good information he can get. I'd never heard of this reprogramming kit either. That's pretty cool :)
Yessir I do! No such thing as too much information. I posted to get a consensus on what people are using and recommend. If I can save time, money and hassles on parts for people in the future I will because it hopefully will spread and keep spreading. Granted some parts work for others and vice versa. I have a non lock up TH350 so it's anywhere from 68-79? With unknown mileage that has been in the truck at least 20 years.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
A note about 350's, if all you want is harder shifts and you're going into the tranny you don't need a shift kit, dual feed 2-3 and drill the feed holes in the plate, takes 10 minutes and it's free, this does the same as a kit but without the extra gasket to blow out.

Well tire chirping isn't all I am after, anything to help prolong the life of the trans. I just figured I need to add fluid this weekend and while I'm at it to save money down the road with more fluid why not change the filter, change the gasket and add a kit while I'm there. God knows when the last time the filter was even changed I'm in desperate need for a pan gasket.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well tire chirping isn't all I am after, anything to help prolong the life of the trans. I just figured I need to add fluid this weekend and while I'm at it to save money down the road with more fluid why not change the filter, change the gasket and add a kit while I'm there. God knows when the last time the filter was even changed I'm in desperate need for a pan gasket.
Soft shifts = slippage in clutch packs, firmer shifts less slippage thus longevity..

Something to remember, when you change the fluid you're only dumping what's in the pan, there's just as much or more in the converter so if the fluid is brown and burned you're just gonna contaminate the new fluid in the pan, in a case like that the converter needs to be drained and cleaned, if the fluid is still nice and red then there's no problem.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Soft shifts = slippage in clutch packs, firmer shifts less slippage thus longevity..

Something to remember, when you change the fluid you're only dumping what's in the pan, there's just as much or more in the converter so if the fluid is brown and burned you're just gonna contaminate the new fluid in the pan, in a case like that the converter needs to be drained and cleaned, if the fluid is still nice and red then there's no problem.

Thanks for the tip. I probably should've done that when I had the motor out.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip. I probably should've done that when I had the motor out.
Yeah, that would have been the time to do it, if it needs it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You probably got the "Shift Improver" kit not the slam bam one those will cause parts breakage unless you baby it all the time.

Entirely possible. Wish I remembered exactly which one I got lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90_burb