Setting a cab on jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Would it be safe (as in, no damage) to set the cab on jack stands under the rockers? I'm trying to mod the dolly my cab is sitting on and the cab needs to come off to do this. Would like to jack it up with stands so I can roll the dolly out from under it, then back under when I'm done. I did this to the bed's dolly also, but its flat and easy - the cab is more contoured underneath.

Just dont want to damage anything.

Thanks.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will it damage the rockers if I set the empty cab/shell on them with jack stands temporarily?

Has no one ever stored or set a cab on jack stands?

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I have mine sitting on blocks of wood or moving dollies on the rockers hasn't hurt them!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've used a 2x4 the full length of the rocker with blocking on each side of the pinch weld.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have mine on a quickly made dolly now, but it needs redone- some reinforcing, etc. I just wanted to jack the cab up on stands so I can pull the dolly out from under it, then roll it back under and set the cab back on it once I'm done. Only place to do this is on the rockers.....why I ask.

Thanks fellas!

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any reason you can't put your jack stands at your body mount holes? I wouldn't trust the rockers to support the cab and not bend

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I rested mine on the floor beams wile fixing the fire wall with no problems.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bare cab? Seems like it would be totally strong enough.
Are you relegated to moving the cab yourself? Because you could set it on whatever you want if you had 4 people to pick it up and set it down.

Why not just jack it up similarly to how you’d support it and go slow and see how rigid it is?
full disclosure. Haven’t removed a cab from a truck in a long time and when I did it was junk and removed with a tractor with forks.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any reason you can't put your jack stands at your body mount holes? I wouldn't trust the rockers to support the cab and not bend

I would if I could. The cab is sitting on a fast made dolly. Only way to get the dolly out and back under it without a lift (which I am really limited space wise at the moment) is if I can jack the outer edges of the cab and roll the dolly out from under. I did this yesterday with the bed's dolly, but the bed has those cross beams and is easy to find a spot to jack on the outer edges. What I did there was the 'new' dolly was an inch lower than the jacked height. I rolled it back under, then lifted each corner while my wife pulled the stand.

Just trying to duplicate that feat with the cab.

There was nothing terribly wrong with the dollies....but to roll them onto a flat bed and strap them down (for media blasting), I didn't trust them for the long haul, offloading, etc.

I have since swapped the wheels out for solid poly ones (glass, doors, dash are all out now too) - but can see the size of the the dolly as it sits.

I was just afraid of something freak, like denting or crushing any part of the rockers with setting it on stands. Cab is kind of a goofy contoured thing underneath too. Probably being paranoid, but would rather ask before just in case.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, here's what I wound up doing - I mic'd the pinch weld: .800 deep and .300 wide. I took a 5' scrap 2x4 I had and cut it in half. I then made 3 passes on the table saw about .820 deep and .512 wide.....like a dado. Slipped it on and put the stands underneath it. Paranoid....just dont want to bend, tweak or damage anything. Worked like a charm and the old dolly rolled out.

Tomorrow am getting longer lag bolts and washers to mount the wheels again (far more solid) then get to plan out how the cab is going to sit on the new dolly.

Thanks fellas!

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, here's what I wound up doing - I mic'd the pinch weld: .800 deep and .300 wide. I took a 5' scrap 2x4 I had and cut it in half. I then made 3 passes on the table saw about .820 deep and .512 wide.....like a dado. Slipped it on and put the stands underneath it. Paranoid....just dont want to bend, tweak or damage anything. Worked like a charm and the old dolly rolled out.

Tomorrow am getting longer lag bolts and washers to mount the wheels again (far more solid) then get to plan out how the cab is going to sit on the new dolly.

Thanks fellas!

Now I understand what you're doing. In my opinion you are being a little over cautious, but that doesn't hurt anything, always better to be over cautious! The dolly you built looks more than sufficient. The dolly I used was nothing more than a cheap wood movers dolly with 2 x 4s laying flat nailed to it, and bolted to the cab mounts. When I got my cab on the flat bed I used a rolling head pry bar to lift the dolly slightly and placed cribbing at all 4 corners so I wasn't transporting it on the wheels. I toe nailed through the cribbing into the floor in a few places so it wouldn't shift and did the same into the dolly 2 x 4s. My cab had no doors when I transported it, so I ran 2" ratchet straps across the cab floor front left side to rear left, and front right to rear right (cab door facing my truck pulling the trailer). Rode like this 60 miles with no issues

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Thanks fellas!

You nailed it buddy.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Anyone know measurements on cab supports?
Looking to repurpose a shipping pallet into a cab dolly....currently at work and dunno what cab measurements are.....

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Anyone know measurements on cab supports?
Looking to repurpose a shipping pallet into a cab dolly....currently at work and dunno what cab measurements are.....

What do you need, center to center, or outside the support channel? And/or width of the support channel? I'll get it for you in the am when its 75 instead of 104 degrees out in the barn!

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I need to know width of support section. So yes center to center. So I can make sure I am supporting on cab supports not too wide and get into rockers....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC