Semi sealed headlight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys,

Real quick question, I'm trying to put the semi sealed headlights onto my 83 with quad headlights. I picked up the LMC harness and was trying to save some cash and ordered a set of headlights from flebay (my mistake) as I believe these are for the 88+ trucks with the quad headlights but are side by side.

These lights don't seem to fit into the headlight buckets without cutting the buckets up. I would rather not do that. My question is do the LMC lights require cutting the buckets as well? or are they just drop in and plug n play with the harness?

Also I wanted to clarify, on the LMC website I am assuming, they are sold individually so in order to do my highs and lows I would need 2 of each which would total $139.80 without shipping.

Thanks!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't know what LMC sells, but what you need are 4x6 headlamps, also known as 165mm or 167mm. Two will be low/high, two will be high only.

The Hella headlamps below have very high quality lenses, reflectors, and bulbs. Even with legal 60/55 watt bulbs, they make a huge difference over standard replacement lamps, and especially cheap no-name lamps with crappy lenses and high wattage blue bulbs that work worse than basic Sylvanias.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index....dlamps/4-x6-rectangular-conversion-headlamps/

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Do the headlight-relay upgrade and you'll prolly see brighter headlights with or without upgrading. If your gonna upgrade, might as well make it better. My truck drops 1.25V before it gets to the headlights. Someone here makes a quick easy harness for it or you can build your own.

On the last link, (scroll down to the last schematic) you could throw in an oil pressure switch to power on the left relay so your headlights don't come on until the engine is running. The schematic basically sends battery voltage to the headlights instead of running through the dash wiring. It uses your existing hi/low voltage as a signal to turn on the applicable relay. Ditch the left relay if you don't want day time running lights.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10373&highlight=headlight+relay

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16048&highlight=daytime+running+lights

Last edited:

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies guys!

Mike - That is a very good point. The ones I did receive were not even the ones I initially ordered. I was looking for just a clear lens (because I like that look) without any added stuff like halos, leds or whatever else get thrown into them. But I have read a lot of good things about the hella lights. I may just end up going that route, and re sell these others. The ones I got have all H4 bulbs so Hi/Low in all but I figured i could swap the high bulbs with some H1s and be good. But like you said they probably would still be crap.

Camaro - I never thought of that! thank you I will definitely look into doing this.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't know what LMC sells, but what you need are 4x6 headlamps, also known as 165mm or 167mm. Two will be low/high, two will be high only.

The Hella headlamps below have very high quality lenses, reflectors, and bulbs. Even with legal 60/55 watt bulbs, they make a huge difference over standard replacement lamps, and especially cheap no-name lamps with crappy lenses and high wattage blue bulbs that work worse than basic Sylvanias.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index....dlamps/4-x6-rectangular-conversion-headlamps/

Did you order them through that website, or is there a better price that I can get? and did you have to do any trimming or cutting of the bucket/ring or did they just drop right in?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you order them through that website, or is there a better price that I can get? and did you have to do any trimming or cutting of the bucket/ring or did they just drop right in?
You can google the P/Ns to find the best price. Summit Racing's price is pretty good.

As far as dropping right in to the buckets, I think they probably do. I have used the 7" round versions in a 69 pickup and a 55 Chevy car, and they dropped right in. Same is true for the large rectangular versions in a Toyota pickup. But I've never used the quad 4x6 versions.

Good call by Camar086 about using relays. My old 82 C10 has a little more than 1 volt less at the headlights than at the battery. I have some relays and sockets, but have never installed them.

Last edited:

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You can google the P/Ns to find the best price. Summit Racing's price is pretty good.

As far as dropping right in to the buckets, I think they probably do. I have used the 7" round versions in a 69 pickup and a 55 Chevy car, and they dropped right in. Same is true for the large rectangular versions in a Toyota pickup. But I've never used the quad 4x6 versions.

Good call by Camar086 about using relays. My old 82 C10 has a little more than 1 volt less at the headlights than at the battery. I have some relays and sockets, but have never installed them.

Great thanks Mike! I just ordered a set, just gotta wait for shipping now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486