Secret Squirel Kill Switch Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My dads 73 was converted from manual to auto, he hooked the neutral safery switch to a toggle under the dash outta sight, you didnt know... it wouldnt go. Truck also never had a key for some reason.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ricko1966 that is freaking genius, I like it alot.

I am not worried at all when I am at home, but if I go see family in the ******** cities some of them live in I would like some theft deterrance especially homemade and cheap.

I had my last square body stolen from a walmart 5 years ago and it still has never been found, the cop told me that with only a screwdriver thiefs can take these trucks in 10 seconds by breaking the column by the turn signal and actuating the starter just like the key was in the ignition. my new truck has a whole lot more $ dumped into it and its not gonna get jacked by a thief

Totally understandable. These trucks are not hard to break the steering lock or get to the ignition switch on the column if one knows their way around them.
What have you done with the Ranchero? That thing looks sinster af and freakin awesome! I'd be worried about that one too!

The power antenna thing on the stereo sounds like a cool idea, but would only require leaving the radio on and it's defeated?
Lots of options, but thing is, you don't know how experienced the thief will be. Guess I'd be tempted to try the cheapo RFID thing. Or the cig lighter switch and have a dummy cig lighter that you can leave in it that doesn't make contact?

Like someone else said, once you decide, don't post it!

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
The ranchero rarely leaves the neighborhood, my wife covets that car, I am very rarely allowed to touch it, I got my ass in trouble for doing a smokeshow during my towns 4th of July parade and havent been alowed to touch it since. its probably only had 500 miles on it since 2016

I do understand that a dedicated thief is had to beat, I will probably get LoJack put on bothbof them, but damn thats expensive.

I think a cheap hard to locate switch of some kind using an existing factory switch or accessory would be very effictive

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I am honestly suprised at how many people liked the pics of the ranchero, I was expecting to get kicked out of this forum for admitting there is a ford in the barn

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I am honestly suprised at how many people liked the pics of the ranchero, I was expecting to get kicked out of this forum for admitting there is a ford in the barn
Probably quite a few of us that have one floating around, lol. I don't like fords, but I have the ford squarebody rival, a '73 F250 highboy, lol.
Hi, my name is Jeremy and I own a ford...

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi, my name is Jeremy and I own a ford...

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't worry, I own a ford product right now as well. I've several over the years, I just don't frequent forums for them. Dodge, owned one and that was for 4 months, never again, too many major problems.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

There a lot of closet ford owners here, me, no ford in the fleet. Although I did end up with grandpa's '71 F100 back in the 90's, and have to admit it was a fine reliable truck. Usually the ones that own the fords, bash ford the most...lol..

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I have a dodge as well, its my yard truck, 1985, 1 ton, 360, and a granny low 4 gear, 2 wheel drive

You must be registered for see images attach

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I really don't discriminate against any of the big 3 american made machines, they all have there ups and downs, chevy's are by far the best though especially with parts interchangability that they have.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size

We do make exceptions for an AWESOME ride such as that BEAUTIFUL Ranchero!!!!:cheers:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
You guys are right, that is a nice looking ranchero and I'm really glad it's yours, Andy!!!! I don't remember how many rigs I have had over the years, but have only had 2 that weren't Chevy. One was a 66 Goat that I bought for the transmission and sold it an hour later and the other was an 03 GMC Yukon, bought new and kept for almost 100K miles. The Yukon I shoulda kept!!!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Totally understandable. These trucks are not hard to break the steering lock or get to the ignition switch on the column if one knows their way around them.
What have you done with the Ranchero? That thing looks sinster af and freakin awesome! I'd be worried about that one too!

The power antenna thing on the stereo sounds like a cool idea, but would only require leaving the radio on and it's defeated?
Lots of options, but thing is, you don't know how experienced the thief will be. Guess I'd be tempted to try the cheapo RFID thing. Or the cig lighter switch and have a dummy cig lighter that you can leave in it that doesn't make contact?

Like someone else said, once you decide, don't post it!

" I said don't post it " and as for the kill switch
read closer. Stereo provides signal power to the relay on the switch side to close the relay. Floor mounted dimmer cuts power to the 30 terminal on the power side of the relay so even with the relay closed there is no power on the load side of the relay. Turn the dimmer on and off 100 times truck still won't run until the dimmer is on and the radio is turned on. Turn the radio on and off 200 times truck wont start unless the dimmer is on.We could switch the other 2 relay terminals also, but I think 2 is enough.

Last edited:

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I really don't discriminate against any of the big 3 american
I said don't post it and as for the kill switch
read closer. Stereo provides signal power to the relay on the switch side to close the relay. Floor mounted dimmer cuts power to the 30 terminal on the power side of the relay so even with the relay closed there is no power on the load side of the relay. Turn the dimmer on and off 100 times truck still won't run until the dimmer is on and the radio is turned on. Turn the radio on and off 200 times truck wont start unless the dimmer is on.We could switch the other 2 relay terminals also, but I think 2 is enough.

this got me thinking, there is alot of circuits one could use, heater,turn signal,and many others, I have an idea that will work for me using the logic from ricko1966

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I was going to tell you some others but radio and dimmer switch was just so easy to use as example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64