Seat belt retractor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The seat belts on my 86 K20 don't grab if yanked out. On my other cars a quick yank on the belt and it grabs. They retract fine. I lifted the plastic cover up some and I see a little weight with spring set up that if moved grabs the belt. Is there something I'm missing here. I lubed everything and it didn't help. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to replace??

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
These are dual retractor systems. You wont find them new and aftermarket are inferior single retractor. They probably are in need of being removed, inspected and cleaned properly.
Quickly yanking the belt doesn't mean it's supposed to lock. Lateral G-force on the weight is what does it. Like when you hit a brick wall for example. :emotions122:

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Aha, that's kinda what I thought when I saw that little rig. But, wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I did a lot of internet research on those. Because it is a safety device with associated liability it is very expensive or impossible to have anything done. Was a while ago, did find one place that would work on them but forgot who it was. Cost $250 per retractor so times that by 2 for each side. A lot of cases it is just a piece of litter in there. Take them off and clean really good.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had some seatbelt issues a while ago and figured out that these style seatbelts does not react at all to sudden unspooling, they react only to G forces. There is some mystery device between spools that I didn't figured out the purpose, but it doesn't seem to do anything related to sudden yanking of belts.

Out of curiosity what do you mean by "retract fine"? All eight of retractors have force just to barely retract the belts, far from a snug fit of modern retracting seatbelts. Are yours the same?

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As far as retracting fine, I meant when I remove the belt they spool back fine. Certainly not with any force. And yes they do not snug up real tight when putting them on.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Has anyone converted from 2 point to 3 point? I would like to move my back seats to modern 3 point seatbelts.

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
So lowering the back of an otherwise stock truck could effect the "locking ratio" of said truck in an accident??

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
my 87 shoulder belts have a tumbler device in them that cams a lever up to lock the belts. They retract when the door is open, and otherwise not very well. Its pretty annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod