Sears Lathe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
it will be handy. i was just using mine today to make parts. it’s a little bigger than that one though. maybe i’ll get some pics of it. it’s an American Pacemaker if you want to look up some pics.

if you got any questions feel free to ask

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I don't know that it's necessary to go to 1/2" plate. Most of them are mounted to a substantial piece of hardwood. Of course, if you can do plate have at it. It's just going to be really heavy. lt will likely still need to be shimmed to get it all straight. Any twist in the bed will make it impossible to do accurate work.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My benchtop consists of 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood and a sheet of that pegboard stuff on top, but without the holes. The underside has a bunch of 2x4's for support. I think I spaced them every 5 or 6 inches.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I have my dads old Logan lathe. I used to use it quite a bit when I was young, but not much lately. Unfortunatly I broke a part when I moved it here, and can't do much until I make a replacement part.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Can't do alot with that little thing. You should prolly consider just throwing it away. I have a trash can right here.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You may do okay with that bench, but it's really a good idea to have a dedicated spot for it. Lathes are messy, flinging oil and metal chips everywhere. Plus you'll want access to all ends of it and that will tie up space that you need on a regular workbench.

And that pegboard stuff is called Masonite. Now you know.

And 1940s doesn't surprise me at all. Atlas and South Bend made tons of small shop lathes like that and training in shop class or trade schools was quite common. Most repair shops had them too. As well as people's garages. A lot of people used to have the skills to operate them.

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
My benchtop consists of 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood and a sheet of that pegboard stuff on top, but without the holes. The underside has a bunch of 2x4's for support. I think I spaced them every 5 or 6 inches.

that should be fine for that lathe. i would just get it up and running and start playing with it so you learn to make things

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Is that the kind of lathe the old Guys used to turn starter and generator armitures with?

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Is that the kind of lathe the old Guys used to turn starter and generator armitures with?

Watch who you're calling old! I still turn commutators on lathes, thank you very much. :mad:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
How friggin old are you? Sorry ,but I bet I'm older than you are!! Was just a figure of speech?

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
BTW, I know it will be in the manuals but it's worth mentioning,... SAFETY.

Even a small lathe like that can hurt you really badly. So no jewelery, loose clothing, hair etc. Safety glasses, of course and a bunch of other things like when polishing parts hold only the ends of the emory and only with your fingertips and never wrap it more than about 90°. Or centrifugal force makes chucks loosen at high speeds an parts fly out. Never leave the key in the chuck. Keep your work area clean. Don't use your hand as a brake. Don't stick your finger in the bore of a spinning part. Use a dowel to hold the emory if you want to polish it.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of stuff, so read the safety instructions. Sorry to be preachy, but plenty of people have had fingers wrung off or gotten scalped. We want to make sure you can still count to ten when you're done.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I have my dads old Logan lathe. I used to use it quite a bit when I was young, but not much lately. Unfortunatly I broke a part when I moved it here, and can't do much until I make a replacement part.

Scott Logan is still selling parts for these machines. Look him up on the Practical Machinist boards. He was at the last NAMES exposition I went to in SouthGate Michigan several years ago.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Masonite. Cool, now I know.

And I know all about safety, lol. I work around large equipment and grinders and things on a daily basis.

So being a lower speed type unit, can I use this thing to turn polyurethane bushings too?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Scott Logan is still selling parts for these machines.
That's good to know. I really need to get up and running. It's a good old lathe, getting a little loose, but fine for the type of things that I want to use it for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69