Sandrocks master plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I thought I would share with you guys my plans on how I am building up the Suburbans engine. Since the TBI engine had well over 200k on the ticker, I made a command decision to just build up another one to replace it. I settled on using a Vortec-based 350, which as you may already know, came with roller cams and higher flowing heads than the TBI. Only problem is, it’s not plug-and-play.

Not wanting to stay TBI, and wanting the convenience of flashing tunes instead of burning chips, I decided to go the route of a full rewire to allow use of the 12200411 pcm. This computer is the last one to control the SBC, and also controls the LS1, the 4.3 V6, and a few others, depending on the OS flashed to it. In SBC configuration, it needs to see a 1x cam signal and a 4x crank signal, both of which are provided with the Vortec motor. (As a side note, this computer will also run a SBC in LS1 configuration, BUT will need a 24x crank trigger and some fuel injector wiring swapped as the firing order is different. This also means the SBC can be configured to have coil-on-plug.)

None of the wiring is done yet, as I will be tackling that when the longblock is finished. But I’ll clue you all in on the plans, and any feedback will be appreciated.

1) I’ll be swapping the two-prong coolant temp for a three-prong version. This allows separate signals going to the PCM and to the dash gauge.
2) The oil pan will also get a three-prong temp sensor to monitor oil temp. Pretty sure this PCM will accept an oil temp input, but if not I’ll just wire up another gauge to monitor it.
3) I won’t need any of the auto trans tables or wiring as I will be using the TH400, though I would like the PCM control the downshift relay if at all possible. I will be using the trans temp monitor though, just to keep an eye on that.
4) I can enable up to three fans I think (I know 2, and I think an auxiliary…I’ll have to check the file), so the blade fan gets chucked. This will free up some power, and help with fuel mileage.
5) Depending on cost, I’ll either run the factory CFI intake with the upgraded spider, OR run the Vortec TPI base manifold with L98 upper. I already have the lower and upper intakes, but the injection spider is needed, along with associated bracketry. I also need Vortec heads…

In addition to engine rewire, the frontend will also be updated with modern lighting, and new leads for an external temp sensor (for my new rearview compass/temp mirror). Interior will also be updated with steering wheel radio controls from a Camaro (already have the steering wheel and a new steering column with the control clockspring from a previous project. I’ll have to Frankenstein the parts and truck columns together), the compass autodim mirror I mentioned earlier, auto lamps/Twilight Sentinel (Bonneville sourced), keyless/remote start, dual power seats with leather and butt warmers.

Gauges…staying factory, but will be LED backlit instead. Will also be integrating either a Scangage 2 or an Interceptor in the spare gage hole, since it’ll have OBD2.

Believe it or not, I have 3/4s of the stuff already. It’s just time to get it all done up correctly.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Jesus that's a detailed post, good stuff. :popcorn:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Phew!! That wore me out......

Where did we move our GMSB couch? I need a nap!:sleepy10:

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hehehe....my wife is all pi$$ed off that our 3 car garage is more or less a dissassembly/reassembly line. One bay has the new engine, cherry picker, and new parts. Second slot has the 'burb itself. The third bay is junk parts that are waiting for the local Sanford and Son wannabe to come haul off.

She says "Why can't we just go get a new one?" to which I reply "If I gotta pay the bank for 6 years like I do these other two cars, it ain't worth getting".

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Get some pics for us brother! Sounds like an awesome project and you know a lot about all these mods, thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The mods...yes. The truck itself...not so much. This is my first truck ever, the only other 4wd I've owned being a '97 Mits Montero (quite capable but it's C/G made it hella scary at highway speed). The longblock should be done in about a month, maybe two. I'll make the engine harness then.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hehehe....my wife is all pi$$ed off that our 3 car garage is more or less a dissassembly/reassembly line. One bay has the new engine, cherry picker, and new parts. Second slot has the 'burb itself. The third bay is junk parts that are waiting for the local Sanford and Son wannabe to come haul off.

She says "Why can't we just go get a new one?" to which I reply "If I gotta pay the bank for 6 years like I do these other two cars, it ain't worth getting".

Not to mention, nothing like the pride of driving what you built instead of bought IMO. Just let the wife know, She knows where you're at in the garage, and you're not out at the ***** bar :boobs: risking getting a disease or chance of a DUI on the way home. Sometimes these women need a little help putting things into perspective.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
My wife just got tired of the constant mess in the garage. I'd always come into the house either all dusty, dirty, greasy or all of the above and that drove her nuts!!! :D

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Not to mention, nothing like the pride of driving what you built instead of bought IMO. Just let the wife know, She knows where you're at in the garage, and you're not out at the ***** bar :boobs: risking getting a disease or chance of a DUI on the way home. Sometimes these women need a little help putting things into perspective.
Good point! :High 5:

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
She told me once..."I wish I had four tires...then I'd get attention". I said "Well, your ass counts as one. Boobs counts as two. Go get a motorcycle, and we'll talk then."

The dog was pissed I took her couch that night.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
She told me once..."I wish I had four tires...then I'd get attention". I said "Well, your ass counts as one. Boobs counts as two. Go get a motorcycle, and we'll talk then."

The dog was pissed I took her couch that night.
Did the frying pan get dented on that one? :roflbow:

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Pistons and rods came in today, so hopefully I will get those installed this weekend :)

NOS GM Vortec water pump, new front cover, new crank sensor, and oil pump are installed. Decided all external fasteners will be stainless, sourced from Lowes, who offers 10% discounts for military and vets :patriot:

I'll get pics of it this weekend. I'll probably work on the oil pan and the temp sensor mod this weekend.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Use anti-seize on all those stainless fasteners or they'll gall! Sounds like an awesome build!

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yup. Coated the wp bolts with teflon tape before installing :Moon:

Found out today that the WP pulley for a Vortec is different from the TBI. So, yeah...need to find one of those. I'm hoping the crank pulley is the same, but I won't know that until tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns