Saginaw Steering Box Overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok - so I'm diving into another shallow end and attempting to overhaul my steering box. Truck (for the limited times it was driveable) never had anything noticeably bad with the steering. My biggest issue with it was it was puking oil out of every orifice and seal it had. I have the complete kit - new bearing and all. So far have the entire box disassembled.

When I opened it up, there was alot of metal shavings inside - my question is, is this normal for 37yrs of use, or did something fail? I cant find anything broken, but there's alot of debris in there. Whats weird is there was 2 longer white hairs on the back of the end plug, so its also possible that the PO messed with it as well. Wouldn't surprise me. Counted 24 ball bearings inside....have heard there should be 28. Dunno.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On closer inspection, someone has been in this as 3/4 of the o-rings and a snap ring are all missing. At least all the ball bearings are accounted for. No wonder it was leaking so bad. How it worked at all is beyond me. So everything is torn down and soaking ATM. Will be fun getting it adjusted back to normal.

Do think the shavings were from the pump also.

No one has ever rebuilt one of these?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Do think the shavings were from the pump also.

About the shavings, did the pump run dry because of the leaks? Was the pump whining before you pulled the box?

After all that gunk is cleaned out, inspect every part of that box. If the shaving are from the box you should be able to see where they came from with your inspection.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, I sent the old pump on its way with the motor - guy who rebuilt mine wanted it as a core. He said the pump didn't look too bad - my guess is its a JY replacement and not the original (that failed?). About every accessory on the thing had JY paint markings all over them. Everything the PO touched turned to ish.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I just did mine about a month ago, it had 24 balls & was a bit gunky but no shavings to speak of.

Tip: Use a piece of rubber hose in the body to hold the balls in as you feed them in to a port one at a time until you can see them at the other port, use a small screwdriver to push each ball in far enough to get the next started. Then use some grease on the crossover tube to hold the remaining balls in it while you insert it back into the ports. Carefully insert that assembly until the hose hits and slowly turn (thread) the inner piece as you press them back together while gently pulling the hose out.

I cut one of the teflon seals during assembly and was lucky enough to find a spare in the parts pile. The balls and compressing the teflon seals are the hardest parts of the whole job

There was one guy that had a great youtube how to but I don't remember who.

I looked through all my photos & couldn't find any of the assembly process

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There's a couple really good vids on the whole process. What I have found is that many of these boxes are close, but not exactly the same, so the location of snap rings, etc aren't the same as the vids.

You fellas that tore them apart....did you mark the threads to get it back close to where it originally was or did you start from scratch for the adjustment screws? I almost marked them but overall it didn't sound like it would be as good as if it was newly set with the new parts. Dunno.

THX :hat:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@yevgenievich and @Vbb199 have also messed with the box internals a time or two. There's a few other members as well, but I can't say for certain who.

You could add me to the list if you want to. Back in the day I also worked in the repair shop's machine shop for many years. Steering box overhaul (rebuild) was one of my many tasks. I serviced more than one or two small Saginaw boxes.

The reason there is a discrepancy on the ball count is because the early boxes used half ball bearings and half plastic spacer balls. The spacer balls were smaller in diameter so the total count was higher.

Today, the machine shop is gone. We are just parts changers. The former machine shop had one guy overhauling engines, another automatic transmissions, another on the electrical bench. Starters, alternators, power convertors distributors etc.

I did all the other stuff, hydraulic pumps, motors and cylinders. Drive axles, steering boxes and the occasional manual transmission.

Before my tour in the machine shop we had another guy relining brake shoes. Something about cam grinding asbestos brake blocks wasn't good.

We all shared doing the overhaul of the pile of carburetors depending who wasn't busy with their other jobs. Did you know that most all medium duty gas powered trucks had Holleys, even the GMC's?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Chris, I marked or measured everything I took apart. We also had books for everything too. Every job was step by step from the book. Yes we learned short cuts here and there.

No internet or you tube then. Computers still had punch cards or tape reels.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is relatively straight forward. Almost looked like that one was packed with grease, while it should not be so.

This was z28 box internals getting ready to put back together.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Important when put together to adjust for right amount of play. Can either use specific tools, or works well by feel. Feel how it goes through the center.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm more concerned with getting the adjustment screws to where they should be. After finding its been previously messed with, not sure it was right to begin with.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
at first i was to rebuilt mine too....at the end i buy a Borgeson close ratio instaid! :)

Attachments

• _DSC4547.jpg
    _DSC4547.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 55

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You could add me to the list if you want to. Back in the day I also worked in the repair shop's machine shop for many years. Steering box overhaul (rebuild) was one of my many tasks. I serviced more than one or two small Saginaw boxes.

The reason there is a discrepancy on the ball count is because the early boxes used half ball bearings and half plastic spacer balls. The spacer balls were smaller in diameter so the total count was higher.

Today, the machine shop is gone. We are just parts changers. The former machine shop had one guy overhauling engines, another automatic transmissions, another on the electrical bench. Starters, alternators, power convertors distributors etc.

I did all the other stuff, hydraulic pumps, motors and cylinders. Drive axles, steering boxes and the occasional manual transmission.

Before my tour in the machine shop we had another guy relining brake shoes. Something about cam grinding asbestos brake blocks wasn't good.

We all shared doing the overhaul of the pile of carburetors depending who wasn't busy with their other jobs. Did you know that most all medium duty gas powered trucks had Holleys, even the GMC's?

Noted! And yes, that's because Holleys are good!

I'm more concerned with getting the adjustment screws to where they should be. After finding its been previously messed with, not sure it was right to begin with.

I definitely wouldn't trust the previous adjustment. I know of may people that used to mess with those, trying to tighten up a worn out front end. Usually, they just went too far and the steering wouldn't self-center while driving down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko