Rust Under Molding/Trim--Magnets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
1980 Fleetside Silverado is rusting under the bedside molding/trim where the stickers attached to the truck. See attached pic.

I love the look but I hate the idea of re-attaching the molding/trim in the same way after repairing the damage. I vaguely recall someone on here mentioning he uses magnets to mount the molding/trim so that he can periodically remove to clean underneath, but I can't seem to find the post. I like the idea and I couldn't care less about resale or winning contests.

Is anyone using magnets or some other alternative to stickers?

Has anyone given up on the molding/trim and gone with a clean look instead?

Many thanks,
D.

Attachments

• 20231102_201614344_iOS.jpg
    20231102_201614344_iOS.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 51

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I'll only keep two tone trim. That's usually easier to clean out. But the truck would have to be really nice. Otherwise I pull the crap off.

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
@PrairieDrifter thanks for the quick reply, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by two tone trim.

On a related note, here's another alternative using paint that just grabbed my attention...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNt_-lC-5A&list=TLPQMDcxMTIwMjMehPexAD0Gqw&index=1

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Two tone trim is a 70's thing.
You must be registered for see images attach
Your other options are real pinstripes, or adhesive vinyl stripe. I pulled the stick on door bumper crap off my 84.

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
Two tone trim is a 70's thing. Your other options are real pinstripes, or adhesive vinyl stripe. I pulled the stick on door bumper crap off my 84.
Yep--my 1980 has the same two tone trim and it all looks to be attached with the factory trim clips and adhesive.

I'm leaning towards replacing with magnets or real pinstripes. Here's Part 2 of Dirty Dan's pinstripe masterpiece...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FofSG7Q0zJM

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yep--my 1980 has the same two tone trim and it all looks to be attached with the factory trim clips and adhesive.

I'm leaning towards replacing with magnets or real pinstripes. Here's Part 2 of Dirty Dan's pinstripe masterpiece...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FofSG7Q0zJM
Magnets are good for a lot of things, but sliding inertia is not one of them. With road vibrations and jolts I'm sure you would be readjusting/losing pieces/ scratching paint. Or if a twig or something catches them.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3M double stick tape (not a sponsor) works as a single use solution and can be removed with acetone or lacquer thinner.

Reactions: WFO

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
1980 Fleetside Silverado is rusting under the bedside molding/trim where the stickers attached to the truck. See attached pic.

I love the look but I hate the idea of re-attaching the molding/trim in the same way after repairing the damage. I vaguely recall someone on here mentioning he uses magnets to mount the molding/trim so that he can periodically remove to clean underneath, but I can't seem to find the post. I like the idea and I couldn't care less about resale or winning contests.

Is anyone using magnets or some other alternative to stickers?

Has anyone given up on the molding/trim and gone with a clean look instead?

Many thanks,
D.

Going off of that picture, you are barking up the wrong tree. That looks to me a fault of improper paint prep. What probably happened was the paint/primer did not adhere well, the double side tape pulled the paint off, then the rust formed over time.

Double side tape is the ideal method for attaching light weight body trim, to prevent rust. It's the reason why (well, one of them anyway) manufacturers switched to that method, rather than screws or clips that go into holes in the body.

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
Going off of that picture, you are barking up the wrong tree. That looks to me a fault of improper paint prep. What probably happened was the paint/primer did not adhere well, the double side tape pulled the paint off, then the rust formed over time.

Double side tape is the ideal method for attaching light weight body trim, to prevent rust. It's the reason why (well, one of them anyway) manufacturers switched to that method, rather than screws or clips that go into holes in the body.
That makes sense. The PO repainted the bedsides and my detailer opened my eyes to just how lousy the paint job was. So I wouldn't be surprised if the stickers lifted the paint. Though I only posted one pic, the damage is under nearly every sticker on that bedside molding. Many thanks for the helpful observation!

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
3M double stick tape (not a sponsor) works as a single use solution and can be removed with acetone or lacquer thinner.
Thanks for the suggestion. Also, nice lookin' truck!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That makes sense. The PO repainted the bedsides and my detailer opened my eyes to just how lousy the paint job was. So I wouldn't be surprised if the stickers lifted the paint. Though I only posted one pic, the damage is under nearly every sticker on that bedside molding. Many thanks for the helpful observation!

Yep, if they are all like that, my diagnosis is still the same. It's just poor prep work, unfortunately.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Mine was two tone copper/black rusted horrible under trim. Got rid of it all.

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
Mine was two tone copper/black rusted horrible under trim. Got rid of it all.
I’m still considering doing the same. Part of my deliberation is whether to replace the molding with striping along the color changes. What did you do?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m still considering doing the same. Part of my deliberation is whether to replace the molding with striping along the color changes. What did you do?
If you’re going to spot repair the rusty areas I think the original metal trim will hide that better. And IMO looks better.
If you do end up going with a wide pinstripe (like 80s trucks) know that the paint has to be smooth underneath or it will telegraph through. I spent a lot of time sanding down a clear coat edge and can still see it in spots.

Hopefully a little info to help your decision.

1980 Big Ten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big 10
Engine Size
UPDATE: With all the solid advice above, I've decided to launch into a DIY spot repair project that will include reinstalling the original trim as it was originally installed with stickers and three screws. Will post details of the repair in a separate thread for all posterior. Thanks again for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005