Odd Spots on Body Molding/Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Evening everyone,

Looking for some tips and/or information on how to remove some odd spots I have on the side molding of my R10. They appear to be paint splotches; however, when I rub my finger across the molding you can't feel anything.

They've been on the truck since I bought it, so I have no idea how they appeared or if the spots are somehow related to overspray from when the truck was repainted. I can't imagine the trim would've been left on the truck when repainted because the trim "straddles" the two colors.

Also, I don't think the trim is OEM because it's plastic; whereas other trim like my cab trim & rear fender corner pieces are aluminum.

Anyways, if anyone has any thoughts on what the spot may be or better yet how to remove them, I'd appreciate it very much .

Thanks
Jason

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
That’s the stock trim. Or at least an aftermarket version of the original. Can’t help with the spots though.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks. Appreciate the reply.

I neglected to mention that I did try Never Dull & Mothers Aluminum polish on the trim. I was polishing all the chrome and other trim on the truck this afternoon.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try using the white vinegar and water solution.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's the stock type trim, but probably an aftermarket replacement. The stock trim gets dull, and the clear coating that's made into it starts to delaminate.

Those little spots are more than likely corrosion under the top layer.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Hmmm, corrosion. Never thought of that. I'll try the vinegar/water trick. If not then I'll just leave it for now. Eventually if/when I repaint ole blue, then I'll be removing all the side trim and replace with a nice pinstripe or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28