Running on 7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks Jims86

I pulled the plugs (all stunk of gas) and put the originals back in. Still runs like poop. The plugs and the wires are going back tomorrow. Wasted a whole afternoon and evening because of the darn O'Reily's junk. No more. They have lost a customer. On a positive note, the original problem was found. Now if I can get some decent plugs and wires I think we'll be off to the races.

Call Larsen Enterprises down on South bay rd., and see if they have a set of Delco wires. 352-7065

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Gotta love those high quality O'Reilly parts.... I never go to my local one either... it was always something.. ordered the wrong part, took days to get them etc. etc... not to mention their "employees" seemed dumber than a box full of hammers.. I like auto zone better anyway

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Gotta love those high quality O'Reilly parts.... I never go to my local one either... it was always something.. ordered the wrong part, took days to get them etc. etc... not to mention their "employees" seemed dumber than a box full of hammers.. I like auto zone better anyway

Seems like Orielly's HR department is next door to the county lockup here... all they hire is Tatted up ghetto rats, and pass up the clean cuts who actually know cars.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
The guys at all the parts stores around here couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Seems like Orielly's HR department is next door to the county lockup here... all they hire is Tatted up ghetto rats, and pass up the clean cuts who actually know cars.

I will never understand that, I have been to several in different states and none of them seem to be car people.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

The only time you will catch me in one of those "parts stores" I am dropping off waste oil. I shop exclusively at Napa or order stuff through rockauto.com if I am being cheap.

If you tell a parts guy you need a upper engine gasket kit for a gen 6 big block and he does not try to play 20 questions just use that parts store.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Yeah. Last time I went to O'Reillys they gave me the wrong u- joint... had to go back 3 times before i finally got the right one... and to beat all when I told the little punk ass kid it wouldn't work he asked me if I put it in backwards!!!! WTF!!! Haven't been back in aa O'Reillys since... at least the old timers at the auto zone here know what they're talking about..

karitoki

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500
Engine Size
7.4L 454
Can I use platinum non-resistive plugs or do I need to stick with the copper resistive plugs?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Most of the discount chain parts stores around me when hiring don't really care if you are a car person. The big factor is if you can speak Spanish. When I was looking for a second job I was interviewed by two and was basically told that I needed a second language.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I will never understand that, I have been to several in different states and none of them seem to be car people.
Yeah, their commercials are a trip too, they show a guy working the parts counter, then show him at home on the weekend, maintaining a sweet 1 st gen Camaro or something, in a pristine, well equipped garage, green lawn, and a 2 story house on 3/4 acre, with 3 kids running around all happy....Be real, and show the projects, Muthufucker pouring cheap oil in a banged up sentra under a delapitated carport, with baby momma yelling in his ear to give her money to get her hair and nails done!
Most of the discount chain parts stores around me when hiring don't really care if you are a car person. The big factor is if you can speak Spanish. When I was looking for a second job I was interviewed by two and was basically told that I needed a second language.
Sooooo tired of Catering to folks who cant be bothered to learn the language.

karitoki

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500
Engine Size
7.4L 454
Well, I went to NAPA and got a new set of plugs. Went in just fine. Guess what. Still runs like crap. OK, so now I'm replacing the coil and the ignition module. It's turned into a project. $32 for the coil and $40 for the ignition module. Better safe than sorry so I'll do both. Borg Warner. It's late and I'm not in a rush to get it done anymore. I have a company car to commute in and two other Fords (forgive me) for the wife to choose from. The Suburban probably won't see a lot of driving even after it's running again; pretty much just for pulling the trailer, making dump runs, or hauling scouts around. I post up some pictures of the "project" when it's done. Please keep the ideas coming!

Thanks

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, I went to NAPA and got a new set of plugs. Went in just fine. Guess what. Still runs like crap. OK, so now I'm replacing the coil and the ignition module. It's turned into a project. $32 for the coil and $40 for the ignition module. Better safe than sorry so I'll do both. Borg Warner. It's late and I'm not in a rush to get it done anymore. I have a company car to commute in and two other Fords (forgive me) for the wife to choose from. The Suburban probably won't see a lot of driving even after it's running again; pretty much just for pulling the trailer, making dump runs, or hauling scouts around. I post up some pictures of the "project" when it's done. Please keep the ideas coming!

Thanks

Coil wont hurt, but an ignition module either works, or it doesn't. there is no mid ground problem causing with that. Be very mindful of wires 5 and 7. As close as they are, it is real easy to cross them.

karitoki

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500
Engine Size
7.4L 454
Again, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I owe O'Reilys an apology, as I am a knucklehead. They are not entirely off the hook, because the wires they sold me were defective. However, the main problem with the truck running worse than it did before the wires was I had knocked the vacuum tube out of the bottom of the sensor that's right above the #8 cylinder:Boo:. In my defense, it plugs in under the sensor so when you look at it you really can't see it. I only found it because I was tracing out EVERY hose. I had caught a very knowledgeable guy at (of all places) O'Reilys who advised me to do that. It worked. Runs great. Now it's on to the electric windows that roll down really slow...:emotions122:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Again, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I owe O'Reilys an apology, as I am a knucklehead. They are not entirely off the hook, because the wires they sold me were defective. However, the main problem with the truck running worse than it did before the wires was I had knocked the vacuum tube out of the bottom of the sensor that's right above the #8 cylinder:Boo:. In my defense, it plugs in under the sensor so when you look at it you really can't see it. I only found it because I was tracing out EVERY hose. I had caught a very knowledgeable guy at (of all places) O'Reilys who advised me to do that. It worked. Runs great. Now it's on to the electric windows that roll down really slow...:emotions122:

Ohhh yes. You made her run pig rich by knocking that line of. That sensor is the Manifold Absolute Pressure(MAP) sensor. It measures vacuum so the ECM can determin the demands of the engine, along with the Throttle position sensor(TPS)and O2 sensor. it is also a sort of backup for the TPS if it failes...Lower vacuum(throttles opening) richens, and Vice versa.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns