Rookie Mistake Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
That's a great idea funny u said that I ha email a 2 set of trailer fenders laying around I never thought of that. For my area Buffalo,NY well I'm south of Buffalo and I get pounded with lake effect snow last year we had 7 feet in 48 hours so this c10 will be a summer ride only. Alot of guys here obviously prefer the 4x4 square boxes up in my area. I'm like freak with this truck and the other chevy fans think I'm crazy. I did also steal your idea I order a set square tips sorry it's just way cool look! Actually the ones I order where off an 1991 oldsmobile trofeo. Also yes already made some costly money mistakes with this truck but overall there awesome to work on and I love the way they look. I got the bug now I might consider selling my 1995 yukon gt or 2006 trailblazer ss to make room for another one. Thanks again

No problem at all with "stealing ideas".....thats what's so great about this forum. I wouldn't post pics if I was worried about idea theft. My square with the level at which it sits would definately be a snowplow in your area. Luckily here, snow is a 3 hour drive away at minimum. Don't be afraid of making build mistakes. Customizing any vehicle takes practice. Once in awhile things go wrong and you learn from the screw ups. This hobby is enjoyable and the squares are quite easy to work on. Its nice that there are still a ton of parts available. Be sure to post progress pics of your build. Theres a lot of good info shared on this site. :cheers:

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No problem at all with "stealing ideas".....thats what's so great about this forum. I wouldn't post pics if I was worried about idea theft. My square with the level at which it sits would definately be a snowplow in your area. Luckily here, snow is a 3 hour drive away at minimum. Don't be afraid of making build mistakes. Customizing any vehicle takes practice. Once in awhile things go wrong and you learn from the screw ups. This hobby is enjoyable and the squares are quite easy to work on. Its nice that there are still a ton of parts available. Be sure to post progress pics of your build. Theres a lot of good info shared on this site. :cheers:

Thanks guys for all the help I feel like I'm back on the path. Practice like u said it's easier to work on. I think the second chevy truck hopefully be easier lol but u know how that goes. It's a fun hobby and brings me back being a kid working on your first car. I love the hunt for parts and the wheeling dealing u can do. I collect wheel horse tractors mainly popular Midwest and northeast I have a major collection of about 150 tractors. I pretty much buy flip and feed my hobbies. Thanks I'll keep posting here pictures.

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Jknight your right the previous owner cut the front springs pretty good before I cut them. I bought the new ones and the drop coils so I can compare size differences. Of course the drop spindles where the wrong ones I had to send back immediately. So I took the new ones and clean cut them one full ring off and place them in the truck.
The truck sits so much better now and starting to look awesome! But then I have that question can I make it lower seems like I have some room to go lower. But again I don't want to take to much off lol and go back again.
What is your guys input one more full ring will make just low enough before it hits fender lip? Also will the new front suspension settle a little after a awhile and lower itself a little. Also will the bed add weight in the back and make the front t go up or down in height? Lol here we go again with the questions sorry guys.

Overall I really enjoy this project!!!

Attachments

• 20160208_204120.jpg
    20160208_204120.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20160209_162057.jpg
    20160209_162057.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 20160209_162103.jpg
    20160209_162103.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 151
  • 20160209_162155.jpg
    20160209_162155.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20160209_162117.jpg
    20160209_162117.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 134

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Jknight your right the previous owner cut the front springs pretty good before I cut them. I bought the new ones and the drop coils so I can compare size differences. Of course the drop spindles where the wrong ones I had to send back immediately. So I took the new ones and clean cut them one full ring off and place them in the truck.
The truck sits so much better now and starting to look awesome! But then I have that question can I make it lower seems like I have some room to go lower. But again I don't want to take to much off lol and go back again.
What is your guys input one more full ring will make just low enough before it hits fender lip? Also will the new front suspension settle a little after a awhile and lower itself a little. Also will the bed add weight in the back and make the front t go up or down in height? Lol here we go again with the questions sorry guys.

I'm a little confused, in this post you stated you sent back a set of drop spindles and in your original post you stated the truck has drop spindles. What spindles are on the truck now?
Also, are the motor and trans in the truck?

You don't want to cut more than one round off the stock springs, that equals a 2in spring drop. If you go more than 2 1/2in spring drop you will run out of alignment bolt to correct the camber.

When you add the weight of the bed it won't lower the front a noticeable difference. It will lift up the front bumper slightly. As the rear lowers with the weight of the bed the bumper will lift up with the front wheels being the fulcrum, if you get my point.

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm a little confused, in this post you stated you sent back a set of drop spindles and in your original post you stated the truck has drop spindles. What spindles are on the truck now?
Also, are the motor and trans in the truck?

You don't want to cut more than one round off the stock springs, that equals a 2in spring drop. If you go more than 2 1/2in spring drop you will run out of alignment bolt to correct the camber.

When you add the weight of the bed it won't lower the front a noticeable difference. It will lift up the front bumper slightly. As the rear lowers with the weight of the bed the bumper will lift up with the front wheels being the fulcrum, if you get my point.

My bad I was trying to reply to this post when 2 of my kids where going crazy around me lol.

So let me clear this up. The truck has 2 1/2 drop spindles on there with drop shocks. Also I took the a brand new spring coil and cut off one full ring. I order 2 sets of coils one factory and the other drop coils for a 1 inch drop. The drop coils came in and where the wrong ones and had to be shipped back.
So I used the new ones with a full ring cut. overall seems like I can go a little lower. What would be my best option? The truck is compete accept bed. Sorry about the confusion I'm dad during the day and truck builder at night

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd run it a little bit and make sure those new coils don't settle too much.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci

My bad I was trying to reply to this post when 2 of my kids where going crazy around me lol.

So let me clear this up. The truck has 2 1/2 drop spindles on there with drop shocks. Also I took the a brand new spring coil and cut off one full ring. I order 2 sets of coils one factory and the other drop coils for a 1 inch drop. The drop coils came in and where the wrong ones and had to be shipped back.
So I used the new ones with a full ring cut. overall seems like I can go a little lower. What would be my best option? The truck is compete accept bed. Sorry about the confusion I'm dad during the day and truck builder at night
Got it:)

It does appear to be slightly higher than a typical spindle and cut coil drop by about an inch. The top of the tire should be almost even with the fender lip, note the third truck in the pic with the 20's.

Have you rolled the truck out since you let it off the jack? When the tires make contact with the floor as the jack is lowered the tires will push against each other leaving the suspension in a bind, you need to roll the truck 5 feet or so to relieve the "bind" or you can jack up under each control arm one at a time to relieve the "bind".

Another thing to check is to make sure the top of the springs are seated correctly. The top of the coil is "D" shaped, The inside of the spring tower is also "D" shaped so make sure its lined up.

Double check the coil spring part # you ordered, You could have possibly ordered a 1 ton or BB spring.

Attachments

• 522.jpg
    522.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 155

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

It does appear to be slightly higher than a typical spindle and cut coil drop by about an inch. The top of the tire should be almost even with the fender lip, note the third truck in the pic with the 20's.

Have you rolled the truck out since you let it off the jack? When the tires make contact with the floor as the jack is lowered the tires will push against each other leaving the suspension in a bind, you need to roll the truck 5 feet or so to relieve the "bind" or you can jack up under each control arm one at a time to relieve the "bind".

Another thing to check is to make sure the top of the springs are seated correctly. The top of the coil is "D" shaped, The inside of the spring tower is also "D" shaped so make sure its lined up.

Double check the coil spring part # you ordered, You could have possibly ordered a 1 ton or BB spring.

Cool thanks for the information I'll double check on the coil spring part number but almost 100 percent sure it's the right one. Also the top of D part of the coil is correct.

That last part about the truck moving around was going to be my big question. I pretty much set the springs and dropped the truck on the ground didn't have a chance to at least roll it out of the garage. Also we got slammed with a foot of snow tonight and another foot tomorrow. I'll update on the progress thank you again for the help!
Thanks shawn snow country

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1454015954563.jpg
    FB_IMG_1454015954563.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 168

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Just and update on the spring I jacked the truck all the way up to see if the spring was line up with the D setting and it looks correct to me. But I noticed it didn't go all the way to the top I noticed the backwards C part of D was around the last part of the tower housing but the tail end of the D didn't go flush to the top of the tower. Sorry that might sound confusing I took some pictures hopefully that will help. Otherwise to me it look pretty normal to I haven't yet rolled the truck out so the suspension could settle or in bind we been getting slam with snow.

Attachments

• 20160216_002345.jpg
    20160216_002345.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 20160216_002316.jpg
    20160216_002316.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 167

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Looks OK from what I can see.

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looks OK from what I can see.

Here's that coil spring spec's let me know If these are the correct 2WD front stock coil spring package for my truck. According to the compibalilty cart they.

Brand:*Moog
Part Number:*6452
Item Condition:*New
Item Description:*Coil Spring Set
Manufacturer Brand Description:*Coil Spring Set
Quantity Needed:*1;
Position:*Front

Item Specifics:

Bar Diameter - Inches: 0.78

Bar Diameter - MM: 19.80

Country of Origin (Primary): US

Emission Code*: 1

End Type 1: Pigtail

End Type 2: Tangential

Feature 3: All coil springs are 100% load tested.

Free Height - Inches: 13.64

Free Height - MM: 346.50

Harmonized Tariff Code (HTS): 7320201000

ID - Inches: 3.68

ID - MM: 93.50

Installation Height - Inches: 10.00

Installation Height - MM: 254.00

Interchange Part Number: 45H0075, 585-1075, CS6452, 6452, RS6500, 277-2073

Life Cycle Status Code: 2

Life Cycle Status Description: Available to Order

Load - lbs: 3155.00

MSDS Required Flag: N

Other Part Number: DCS6452, 2704-43281, 92-6452, FCS6452S, U6452S

Product Description - Invoice - 40: Coil Spring Set

Product Description - Long - 80: Coil Spring Set

Product Description - Short - 20: Coil Springs

Remanufactured Part: N

Spring Rate - lbs per inch: 843.00

Spring Type: Constant Rate

Taxable: Y

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Here's that coil spring spec's let me know If these are the correct 2WD front stock coil spring package for my truck. According to the compibalilty cart they.

Brand:*Moog
Part Number:*6452
Item Condition:*New
Item Description:*Coil Spring Set
Manufacturer Brand Description:*Coil Spring Set
Quantity Needed:*1;
Position:*Front

Item Specifics:

Bar Diameter - Inches: 0.78

Bar Diameter - MM: 19.80

Country of Origin (Primary): US

Emission Code*: 1

End Type 1: Pigtail

End Type 2: Tangential

Feature 3: All coil springs are 100% load tested.

Free Height - Inches: 13.64

Free Height - MM: 346.50

Harmonized Tariff Code (HTS): 7320201000

ID - Inches: 3.68

ID - MM: 93.50

Installation Height - Inches: 10.00

Installation Height - MM: 254.00

Interchange Part Number: 45H0075, 585-1075, CS6452, 6452, RS6500, 277-2073

Life Cycle Status Code: 2

Life Cycle Status Description: Available to Order

Load - lbs: 3155.00

MSDS Required Flag: N

Other Part Number: DCS6452, 2704-43281, 92-6452, FCS6452S, U6452S

Product Description - Invoice - 40: Coil Spring Set

Product Description - Long - 80: Coil Spring Set

Product Description - Short - 20: Coil Springs

Remanufactured Part: N

Spring Rate - lbs per inch: 843.00

Spring Type: Constant Rate

Taxable: Y
The only other 1/2 ton spring is the 6454 which is stiffer, looks like you have the right one.

Attachments

• 605.jpg
    605.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 611.jpg
    611.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 164

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The only other 1/2 ton spring is the 6454 which is stiffer, looks like you have the right one.

Well I moved the truck around a little bit and seems like the front end went down a little bit but not enough where I want to be. My goal is low as I can go so where I want tor be is fender lip and almost rubbing the inner wells in if that's the case I build my own inner fender wells.

So do u recommend a 2 inch drop coil?
I already have 2 1/2 drop spindles and drop shocks.
I figure I'll just do it right and order the right coil for the project.

Thanks again for your help
Shawn

Attachments

• 20160222_152442.jpg
    20160222_152442.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 150

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Can you set the bed on and any other part that is missing on the truck that has significant weight?

Cutlas3391

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Can you set the bed on and any other part that is missing on the truck that has significant weight?

The bed is at my other shop still working on the noodle bed. I think the bed weighs about 500lbs you think that weight can adjust the one inch up front? I can bring home and try it. what about 2 to 3 guys standing on the back side will that get me and good idea if the front drops to where i want it. thanks again for helping i apperiacte your time shawn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes