Roof rack mounts for 85 Chevy 4X4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I want a Yakima roof rack for my 85 Chevy 2DR 4X4 and am wondering how to secure one to the roof cuz there aren't any top rails like a suburban.
picture.php

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Is there a style that grabs onto the drip rails? I seem to remember that was how roof racks worked back when all cars had drip rails.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ya I will have to see if I can find some. That's the only place I can see that would be sturdy enough to mount too.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
O cool Dave this is exactly what I am looking for. I have spent a few hours searching and could not find any thing thanks.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
common guys you can't mount a roof rack to a squares drip rails they are just held in place by sheet metal screws. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
common guys you can't mount a roof rack to a squares drip rails they are just held in place by sheet metal screws. highdesertranger

And there plastic!

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
They're not plastic, at least mine aren't. And while they are secured with sheet metal screws they are pretty stout. The original Yakima and Thule roof racks were always mounted on the drip rails - back when most cars still had them. On my '89 k5 I had the front Thule bar mounted to the drip rails and the back one was mounted to brackets bolted to the fiberglass that mimicked drip rails. I put both bikes and a canoe up there (not at the same time) and never had a problem. Still have some of the same parts and would not hesitate to install them on my burb if I had a need to. Of course if the screws had loosened or stripped due to rust or similar you would probably want to go a different route

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They're not plastic, at least mine aren't. And while they are secured with sheet metal screws they are pretty stout. The original Yakima and Thule roof racks were always mounted on the drip rails - back when most cars still had them. On my '89 k5 I had the front Thule bar mounted to the drip rails and the back one was mounted to brackets bolted to the fiberglass that mimicked drip rails. I put both bikes and a canoe up there (not at the same time) and never had a problem. Still have some of the same parts and would not hesitate to install them on my burb if I had a need to. Of course if the screws had loosened or stripped due to rust or similar you would probably want to go a different route

Yes you have a stainless steel drip MOLDING! That slides over a PLASTIC retainer. That plastic retainer is then bolted to the cab using tiny little sheet metal screws! IN the END your drip rail is PLASTIC! The stainless metal is just a veneer my friend:)

Most other vehicles of the era had actual metal drip edges formed into the body.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
So I see exactly what you're talking about in LMC catalog but I don't see it when I look at the actual ones installed on my burb. They're just a C-shaped metal channel that is fixed to the body with torx head screws. And there's no stainless - all black painted metal. Dealer installed option? Aftermarket? All 4 passenger doors have this design as do the cargo doors. And it's been 18 years but I swear my 89 k5 had the same design.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Mine are like yours Dave, I even noticed a spot where the white paint came off and it's black underneath. They are one piece of steel (checked with a magnet) and held on with stainless screws. I still wouldn't trust them with any real weight.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Mine are steel. I know because they were rusty so I took them off and repainted them awhile back. Those screws are super short too.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Mine are steel with stainless strips as well but I wouldn't mount anything to them. There isn't enough strenth there in my opinion.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Weird. Maybe its a Canada thing lol I have had 6 of these trucks and they have all been plastic with a stainless veneer. And all my buddies trucks have been the same. I honestly have never seen metal ones.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Weird. Maybe its a Canada thing lol I have had 6 of these trucks and they have all been plastic with a stainless veneer. And all my buddies trucks have been the same. I honestly have never seen metal ones.

Don't they get brittle and break? I would think given the temperature swings up there they wouldn't last long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64