Folding lumber rack into something similar to a soft topper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok guys so first off this is what I've got.

This came along used, and I cleaned it up and installed it about a year ago. But one thing is I've wanted a soft topper for a LONG time, couple of years at least. We get a lot of rain here and it sure would be nice, but the almost $1,000 price is $1,000 I just don't have. I've toyed with getting a tonneau cover, but I would loose my bed rails and rack for something that I would be under served by. So here is what I've got and then I'll get into my idea.

Here it is in the down position as bed rails.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is how it works the legs fold up:

And here it is in the up right position, with the top pieces installed.

And a close up of the top / cross rails, they just slide on to the legs, legs are part of the bed rails and flip up.

So here is my idea. Either cut the part that extends up from the cross member on the top off, or build a new cross member without them those. Add a center support right in center length wise to connect the two cross members in the center, and it would be on top of the cross member. On the sides I might add a support one on each side, if it looks like it needs it, probably where the braces are so the side supports are a little lower than the center.

Then cover the thing with a canvas drop cloth. I'd pleat the front to form the two front corners. I'd probably add snaps to secure the front of the cover to the bed. For the back opening obviously I'll need to cut the canvas. Hopefully there will be enough material that I can run Velcro down the sides of the rear opening. For the sides and the back opening I'd install grommets in canvas and probably use ball ties to secure it to the existing chrome tee tie downs on the bed.

It wouldn't come down and go up quite as quick and easy as a soft topper, but it sure would be a lot cheaper. And it would be taller, which would enable me to carry 55 gallon feed drums in it with it up.

What do you all think, I'm open to suggestions on the project. Also tagging @77 K20 cause I know he has a soft topper.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Think about taking those long lengths, that run side to side, and seperate them from the corners. then you could roll them up in your canvas and strap them underneath the bed rail inside the bed.

Then take the top corners (only 2 at a time to save width when stored) assemblies and wrap them in something (so they don't rattle) and mount/store them in front or behind the humps in the bed on both sides. Put your back supports in the back and fronts in the front, or put drivers sides on drivers side and same with passenger.

Just some thoughts that popped in my head.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Are you planning on camping in it or is it mainly to keep things dry?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Camar068 It would just be to keep things dry, no plans to camp in it. I like the idea of being able to roll the supports into the canvas for storage. Do you think it's a reasonably viable idea? Thanks.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Wrap em' up in the canvas with small bungie cords around em' and store them. Did that with the canvas on my tent trailer I used to have, worked great. @Camar068 has a good idea to store them under the bed rails, too!!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@Camar068 It would just be to keep things dry, no plans to camp in it. I like the idea of being able to roll the supports into the canvas for storage. Do you think it's a reasonably viable idea? Thanks.
I'd try to make whatever you want but easy to store and easy to setup. Be it a carabiner to connect the tubing, or simple spring loaded pins that the end turns 90° to lock in place. Keep in mind theft though. Nothing worse than someone liking your $h|t half as much as you do and stealing it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'd try to make whatever you want but easy to store and easy to setup. Be it a carabiner to connect the tubing, or simple spring loaded pins that the end turns 90° to lock in place. Keep in mind theft though. Nothing worse than someone liking your $h|t half as much as you do and stealing it.
Ya, At one time I would have said not a theft concern, but anymore.... At least she's behind a locked gate at the farm. I could probably do a carabiner for the side tubes, but will need to either have a way to anchor the carabiner or come up with something different for the center as I wouldn't want it to be able to "walk", from the vibration while driving.

@idahovette I think that will be the plan.

What do you guy think, instead of using square tubing for the center support and sides you think I could get away with 2X2's? or asking for trouble? 2X2's would be cheaper obviously and that would be why I'm considering them.

Obviously I will have to wing some of this as I get underway building it, but will post as it goes. I'm hoping to do it over the new years weekend but not sure if I'll realistically have the time I guess we will see.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think your design is fine. Definitely not lumber though. And personally, I’d use round tubing if you’re not already invested in square. Easier to roll up if you do that, and easier on the canvas.

Codfish

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think your design is fine. Definitely not lumber though. And personally, I’d use round tubing if you’re not already invested in square. Easier to roll up if you do that, and easier on the canvas.

Codfish
Good point and did not think of that. Might depend on what I can get hold of a prices of that stuff. The one good thing about square though is the existing tubing is square so it would match that, but yea for sure better for rolling, I gotta see what I can get and pricing and go from there. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes