roller cam questions, suggestions, used ones, or flat tappet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ok guys I'm not a huge fan of the price on roller cams. The block I plan to use for my 83 is an 88 or newer block fully machined for mech. fuel pump and roller cam.

Ca I use a mech. fuel pump with a roller cam?

Hyd. roller that is.

Do I have to change the districutor gear to run roller cam?

Is it ok to use a used roller cam? used roller lifters?

I want to run mech. fuel pump for sure, alot cheaper and easier for me.

I'm not against a flat tappet at all I just hate break in.

I'd like to get a cam with some lope, but it has to be a good bottom end cam, it's in a 4wd with big tires, most likely it'll be an auto with stock converter.

It's just a 350 and I was going to use some ported 305 heads, not sure what heads they are I don't have them yet.

Every roller cam I see nw is like $200 or so itself, and cheapest I found lifters for roller cam was like $80 a set from rockauto. I have to get the dog bones and the hold downs I have none of that stuff.

Anyone know any stock used rollers I could check for on ebay? maybe have some lope to the idle? I'll be runing carb, no fuel injection.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A lot of the roller cams have a fuel pump lobe, even some factory cams.

The dizzy gear depends on the cam. I think a GM melonized gear will work on most. The Comp roller cam that I bought doesn't even say what dizzy gear to use. Must not be important?

Generally, used parts are fine to reuse.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I keep seeing guys talk about needing bronze gears for dizzy or whatever or it'll wipe out.

wonder if stock flat tappet push rods are the right length or if I need to get stock roller cam push rods?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IIRC, pushrods are shorter.

If you could get your hands on a common TBI 305 from a Camaro or Caprice, you would get all the hardware you needed.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yeap mine came from my 88 tbi truk but had flat tappet cam no roller lifters no hold down or dog bones etc.

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
I did the hyd roller cam upgrade on an 88 and used the "kit" from chevy performance thru summit racing. It has the lifters and spider holdown, lifter link bars and some hardware in a relatively cheap kit. I did still have to get the bolts and plate for the front cam retainer separate.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Another option: buy a vortec 350 rebuilder. I bought one for $300 on CL. I kept the complete valve train and heads, sold the short block for $100 or $150. This was a good way to go for me because I wanted to use the vortecs (downside: only one of them was useable) AND convert to roller cam. And I'm actually going to use the vortec cam and lifters in my build. Only thing new I'll probably do is some 1.6 ratio rocker arms. I have to admit, though, I don't know if the vortec cam has a lobe for a fuel pump - I'll try and look soon and let you know. Even if you can't use the cam you would still get the lifters, spider plate, etc. for not a lot of $$. And the heads, assuming they're not cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ok guys I'm not a huge fan of the price on roller cams. The block I plan to use for my 83 is an 88 or newer block fully machined for mech. fuel pump and roller cam.

Can I use a mech. fuel pump with a roller cam?
Absolutely. And if it's a GM cam, you don't need a special pushrod. I used GM pushrod # 3704817 in my 350 with RamJet roller cam. No special fuel pump required. Just get one with the proper inlet and outlet fittings. Some year and/or engines had an outlet on the pump that connects to a return line that runs back to the tank.

Do I have to change the distributor gear to run roller cam?
GM roller cams require a melonized gear #19052845. Some aftermarket cams can use a standard gear.

Is it ok to use a used roller cam? used roller lifters?
Yes and yes, if they are in good condition. However, real GM roller lifters are reasonably priced, so that's the route I took.

I'd like to get a cam with some lope, but it has to be a good bottom end cam, it's in a 4wd with big tires, most likely it'll be an auto with stock converter.
Be careful what you ask for. Lope means lots of overlap, which kills bottom end power.

It's just a 350 and I was going to use some ported 305 heads, not sure what heads they are I don't have them yet.
305 combustion chambers are smaller, so be sure to calculate compression.

Every roller cam I see nw is like $200 or so itself, and cheapest I found lifters for roller cam was like $80 a set from rockauto. I have to get the dog bones and the hold downs I have none of that stuff.
Scoggin Dickey Chevrolet used to sell a GM kit with lifters, spiders, cam retainer plate, and bolts for around $230.

Anyone know any stock used rollers I could check for on ebay? maybe have some lope to the idle? I'll be runing carb, no fuel injection.
I bought a take-out RamJet roller cam from these guys two years ago for $129 shipped: http://www.stevensparts.com/

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
good price on cam bad price on the hardware for roller cam.

think I'll stick with flat tappet again.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow! You're right. The price has jumped a lot since 2003, when I last bought that kit for (are you ready?) $199. I remember when it jumped to $209!

On the 350 I mentioned above, the engine came equipped with a roller cam, so I had all the hardware and bought just the RamJet cam and the #12499225 lifter set, which cost me around $150 in 2014. So I had $279 invested in cam & lifters.

Digging through my old receipts shows how much prices have increased. Some things I bought in the late 1990s now cost nearly twice as much or more. How about $70 for a Weiand 8004 intake manifold? Or $93 for a Crane cam & lifter kit with USA made lifters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76