Right rear wheel locking up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I don't see the lower spring that is supposed to go from pad to pad just above the adjuster? Is it missing or just perfectly hidden behind the axle?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't see the lower spring that is supposed to go from pad to pad just above the adjuster? Is it missing or just perfectly hidden behind the axle?
I don’t see the bar that goes across with the spring on one side either that goes just above the axle.

I also don’t see a jack stand or pictures at Multiple angles tho.

Terrible.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I don’t see the bar that goes across with the spring on one side either that goes just above the axle.

I also don’t see a jack stand or pictures at Multiple angles tho.

Terrible.
It's in his first picture. (post #12)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OP, take that adjuster apart and clean it up and oil/antiseize the threads.
You don’t say if it locks up after the brake pedal is pushed, but most likely the wheel cylinder is corroded. Can test, carefully, have someone depress the brake pedal, a little, you see if the pistons expand like they should and then if you can compress them back in. Don’t crAm on the pedal doing this or you could pop the wheel cylinder apart.
It’s either the adjuster or wheel cyl likely. Or collapsed hose but that would affect both rear brakes.
Just a few ideas.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
id say it needs a spring kit (tired springs), clean and check of the cylinder, lubrication of the metal on metal rubbing places and is that secondary shoe narrower than the primary? like, almost like the metal backing part of the shoe is a different size rear drum shoe unless its optical illusion

Also, that adjuster needs to be cleaned up, lubed, and that park brake cable should be in good adjustment and etc.

Long story short, clean the stuff, lube it with brake lube where rub/pivot/energizes

Make sure adjuster is good, adjust
can you by hand make it rotate as if you were applying it slightly/ Its a little weird but you should be able to, that would tell you if its all "in" properly. you

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Well they got plenty of cobwebs in there- bet they aren't helping.

:nono:

Getcha can of that "brake parts cleaner" stuff and spray all them brake parts with it , very liberally. It's a couple bucks...

The "backing plate" behind all those parts is intended to be lubricated to some extent in places

Speaking of a COUPLE BUCKS
..allthem parts are super cheap as far as car parts go and you really oughta be replacing them all. You can even buy new adjusters!

That's hard to overstate.

I bet you could replace 90% of those rear brakes for a Ben.
Really man, you should change it all out for new stuff.
Measure the inner diameter of your rear drum and take the picture you posted to the parts store.

Buy shoes - the medium option - wheel cylinders , and a master hardware kit aka: a "combi kit" _ but get the big one...options of big and little haha I think its called a master kit. Nobody says combikit anymore..:nono:

Add a couple cans of the spray and a dab of bearing grease in the shiny spots, you'll see em after you clean it....i

Be sure to check the tire pressure and for gawds sake man - only take apart one side at a time...it's easy! Might need a pair of dikes.. AND get the drums turned!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well they got plenty of cobwebs in there- bet they aren't helping.

:nono:

Getcha can of that "brake parts cleaner" stuff and spray all them brake parts with it , very liberally. It's a couple bucks...

The "backing plate" behind all those parts is intended to be lubricated to some extent in places

Speaking of a COUPLE BUCKS
..allthem parts are super cheap as far as car parts go and you really oughta be replacing them all. You can even buy new adjusters!

That's hard to overstate.

I bet you could replace 90% of those rear brakes for a Ben.
Really man, you should change it all out for new stuff.
Measure the inner diameter of your rear drum and take the picture you posted to the parts store.

Buy shoes - the medium option - wheel cylinders , and a master hardware kit aka: a "combi kit" _ but get the big one...options of big and little haha I think its called a master kit. Nobody says combikit anymore..:nono:

Add a couple cans of the spray and a dab of bearing grease in the shiny spots, you'll see em after you clean it....i

Be sure to check the tire pressure and for gawds sake man - only take apart one side at a time...it's easy! Might need a pair of dikes.. AND get the drums turned!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
They also sell loaded backing plates

Just remove the axle shaft(C clip???) and he wants to do his seal anyway

and then a couple things here and there and bam dorman brakes

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Well maybe we oughta slow down...
Dude has no experience and thsts okay- happens to everybody - but we do and talk like it's easy. Because it IS man , OP dude, but that's a LOT of parts and it is important that you put it back together just like it came apart, which is why they stress one side at a time....so you have a handy reference on the ready.
Th tools are extreme basic though everybody does it different , I use 6" dikes to pull the springs and a #2 or 3 flathead. It's not hard to do physically but the motions and movements are uncommon and it can seem strange. Take your time and go slow... Do her up real nice and she'll thank you for it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well maybe we oughta slow down...
Dude has no experience and thsts okay- happens to everybody - but we do and talk like it's easy. Because it IS man , OP dude, but that's a LOT of parts and it is important that you put it back together just like it came apart, which is why they stress one side at a time....so you have a handy reference on the ready.
Th tools are extreme basic though everybody does it different , I use 6" dikes to pull the springs and a #2 or 3 flathead. It's not hard to do physically but the motions and movements are uncommon and it can seem strange. Take your time and go slow... Do her up real nice and she'll thank you for it.
i agree I only say the loaded assembly because even tho its more than necessary, it cuts ouyt a lot guess work HOWEVER even just reviewing pics of the product irself(loaded backing plates) will show color coded springs all clean and placed where need to go, only need to review pics posted here to then see the other couple things :)

GMS diagrams in the service manual only show one side and the exploded view doesnt ddo a good job demonstrating what it looks like "as a whole unit"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shock loaded