Reverse Lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
ive come to the conclusion on my 84 chevy that the neutral/reverse safty switch is out on my truck causeing my back up lights not to come on, is there anything else that it could be? the column has alot of slack in it i dont have that special tool for GM cars and trucks that compress's all that crap in there or id get in there and tighten those bolts up that are bad about getting lose in Squares but it being lose could that be why they dont work?

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
ive come to the conclusion on my 84 chevy that the neutral/reverse safty switch is out on my truck causeing my back up lights not to come on, is there anything else that it could be? the column has alot of slack in it i dont have that special tool for GM cars and trucks that compress's all that crap in there or id get in there and tighten those bolts up that are bad about getting lose in Squares but it being lose could that be why they dont work?

I was about to post something about this, my reverse lights aren't working either. Where exactly is the neutral/reverse safety switch located? Somewhere near the steering column?

Also there was a plug hanging from my transmission, I thought maybe I was missing some wires causing my reverse lights to fail.

I'll take pics when i get home.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, i think we have a similar problem.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
I was about to post something about this, my reverse lights aren't working either. Where exactly is the neutral/reverse safety switch located? Somewhere near the steering column?

Also there was a plug hanging from my transmission, I thought maybe I was missing some wires causing my reverse lights to fail.

I'll take pics when i get home.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, i think we have a similar problem.

we prolly do that plug should be a square 4 pin male plug and it plugs in on the driver side of a 700R4 transmission and no i dont think that has anything to do with the reverse lights and yes its under the dash on the steering column its hard to see you will need to drop your vent ducting down and look up in there

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
we prolly do that plug should be a square 4 pin male plug and it plugs in on the driver side of a 700R4 transmission and no i dont think that has anything to do with the reverse lights and yes its under the dash on the steering column its hard to see you will need to drop your vent ducting down and look up in there

If i remember correctly the plug is a 2 pin male plug....

I'll look for it when i get home, any pics would help a lot...googled it and I'm not sure what I'm looking for haha!

According to autozone.....http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa..._/N-ijqkzZ9cid6?itemIdentifier=18755_0_0_1277

Last edited:

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
it'll look like this this is the neutral and backup light safety switch and the 4pin connector for trans

Attachments

• main.JPG
    main.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 705
  • 29878_700r4_pigtail.jpg
    29878_700r4_pigtail.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
it'll look like this this is the neutral and backup light safety switch and the 4pin connector for trans

Would both of these be different for a standard transmission?

And i'm guessing the plug goes to the wire harness?

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Would both of these be different for a standard transmission?

And i'm guessing the plug goes to the wire harness?

no those are for automatic trans manuel transmissions have a separate reverse light switch and yes they are on the transmisson and they are 2 pin connectors so thats prolly what your problem is, i thought you had a automatic transmission, it being an 1985 i was thinking a 700R4 trans which is what i have, i will post pics of where the backup light switch is on your transmission, do you know what transmission you have, im not 100% sure the last manuel ive worked on what an SM465 trans

Last edited:

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
no those are for automatic trans manuel transmissions have a separate reverse light switch and yes they are on the transmisson and they are 2 pin connectors so thats prolly what your problem is, i thought you had a automatic transmission, it being an 1985 i was thinking a 700R4 trans which is what i have, i will post pics of where the backup light switch is on your transmission, do you know what transmission you have, im not 100% sure the last manuel ive worked on what an SM465 trans

To be honest I'm not sure what transmission I have, any way to tell?

Also i found a thread on another forum that speaks of a very similar looking plug that I'm talking about, hope this doesn't break any rules here;

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/transmissions-drivetrain/498850-700r4-can-you-idnentify.html

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
To be honest I'm not sure what transmission I have, any way to tell?

Also i found a thread on another forum that speaks of a very similar looking plug that I'm talking about, hope this doesn't break any rules here;

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/transmissions-drivetrain/498850-700r4-can-you-idnentify.html

they are talking about a 700R4 Automatic transmission you have a manual transmission, nothing like what you have. do you have a 4 speed overdrive trans or is it what i call the old granny 4 speed?

Last edited:

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
they are talking about a 700R4 Automatic transmission you have a manual transmission, nothing like what you have. you have a 4 speed standard transmission right?

yes

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

First Pic of of the N P Safety Switch, the next 4 prong pigtail goes to the 700r4 and if for Converter lockup and has nothing to do with BU lights.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
ok i need to know which one other guys on here could prolly tell you what one you have but im not quite that good, there is 2 standard transmission squares had in the 80s an SM465 which is what i call the granny 4 speed and a 4-speed NV833 overdrive manual trans

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
First Pic of of the N P Safety Switch, the next 4 prong pigtail goes to the 700r4 and if for Converter lockup and has nothing to do with BU lights.

i didnt know he had a standard transmission HR lol

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
but im thinking the NV833 was an option you could add, yeah if i didnt have my head up my ass i would of known, NV833 are a package that was an option and are very rare there is a thread about them in the transmission section on here that HotRodPC made and im sure you dont have one of those, but it is possible i guess. look at the pics i posted. on the next post and see if you cant find that switch on the top of your transmission

Last edited:

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
anyway if it an SM465 here the switch should be, found these on google i personally dont own any standards but i have worked on these before

Attachments

• CIMG0046.jpg
    CIMG0046.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 933
  • CIMG0047.jpg
    CIMG0047.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,576

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member