Retro's 1989 GMC Sierra C1500 Sportside Indy clone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sierra got a new headliner and cupholders today.

Nice. I can honestly, I did like the cup holders of the 88-94 dash style. I do like the 96-98 dash better, but that damn cup holder location right in front of the vent sucks !!! I drink Pepsi on ice 24/7 365, so in the winter I'd have fuggin heat melting my ice and watering down my Pepsi. The first 95 I bought had 60/40 split bench cuz the same truck on the lot with buckets had Power Mirror delete, so I wanted the Power mirrors bad enough, and the bench seat truck was a little cheaper so I got that one.

I KNOW for a fact, I got the first regular production 95 sold in the Moore/Norman area, maybe even OKC Metro, but can't confirm that. It was in August, I was following the transport from an out of town run. I was able to tell the dash was way different from passing by. I followed that damn truck for 15-20 miles since it was going my way, at about 60mph when I usually drove 70. It got off the freeway in Main at Norman, so I knew then it was going to Larry Spencer Chevrolet which was 1/2 mile off I35. I followed it into the lot. Jumped up on the transport and looked at the 2 Indigo Blue ones. Driver is all yelling at me and ****. I said Whoa dude, one of these trucks is going to be mine tonight, chill out. So I ran and got a salesman, he goes over to the transport with me. I waited about 20 minutes for those 2 to get unloaded and parked. Odo's were like .2 and .3. I told the salesman, Well bud, I followed this damn truck for 20 miles at 60, have wasted like 40 minutes now and I am working. I'll make sure I get off by like 7pm tonight since I'm the boss, and I will be back to buy one of these 2 Blue trucks TONIGHT, so DO NOT even unwrap them. He says, well we have to run them through Make Ready before we sell them. I then said, you don't want to sell a truck very bad do you? HUH?? I said, I WILL NOT buy either truck if they are unwrapped. I will do that myself after I pick out which one I want. Then he says, but the service guy has to take it for a drive, it's required by GM they have to test run the vehicle, even if just for a mile to test the brakes, shifting etc. I then told him, that's fine, but he'll be doing that with ME in the truck. If those trucks have over .5 on the ticker or they unwrapped, I'm not buying one, that I want it so fuggin new, I know for a fact I'll be the first one to fart in it. He said OK OK, I'll see what I can do, I'm going to my manager. I asked for his card and split. Got back to the store, loaded up the other guys with the rest of the deliveries for the day, I split work at 5pm, went back, both trucks were parked up front by the sales managers office. I walked in and the guy gave me the deer in the headlights look, like, OH ****, you did come back. I said, Don't tell me you didn't think I wasn't coming back and you drove the trucks or started unwreapping the interiors. He said, I told my manager what you said, so we had the transport operator park them right there and he won't let noone touch them. A couple customers did look inside but that was it. Sure enough, I rode in both with a service tech around the short block and put 1.2 miles on each truck. I first chose the bucket seat truck and we started writing up the deal. Then I noticed on the printout of invoice that was faxed to them, since they didn't have that **** yet, that this truck said, Power Mirror Delete. I freaked the fugg out. Went back out, sure enough, there had been a shortage of power mirrors early on, so some trucks got Power Mirror Delete since they were standard equipment. The 60/40 truck DID have the power mirrors. That was the only difference between the 2 trucks. Same colors, same features, just one was buckets without power mirrors, one was bench with power mirrors. So I bought the 60/40 seat truck that night and was driving it home by 7pm with all the plastic still on it, and the floor mats still wrapped up in the back under the seat. I got an IOU for the Make Ready Detail so that when it was time for a bath, I could take it back up there and get it Made Ready and ANOTHER FREE tank of gas. I took it back right at about 1000 miles and got a FREE oil change, tank of gas, and detail. Funny part was, they THOUGHT they had me over the barrel cuz I wanted the truck so bad and was trying to gouge me. As normal, I talked all the car sales ******** about Invoice, hold back and all that ****. And I did pay to much for it. I paid Invoice and I told them, look I want the truck bad enough I'll pay invoice, but usually when I buy a truck, you're going into the hold back or I won't buy it. Yep, I got it at Invoice, so they did make some cash on me with that deal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry for the long story I'll shorten the 96 purchase story cuz it was very similar to the 95 story except I didn't follow the transport to the lot. I heard about the Vortec motor and the lighter sockets being a different configuration. So I knew I'd have a 96 too. Wanted the same Indigo Blue on Blue Interior of course, but this time I knew for a fact I wanted bucket seats for the cup holders in the console. I went in and Test drove a White 96 350 Vortec truck on purpose, cuz I wanted to drive it like I stole it and test out the Vortec power and wasn't going to buy a hot rodded truck. I told the salesman, I don't think you want to ride with me on this run if you can get out of it, cuz I fully intend to test the Vortec power and I don't want you in any trouble with bossman if we're seen. He said OK, it's all good be back in about 15 minutes. I said good enough. I came in, he says well, will that work for you? I said NOPE !!! Gonna need one with locking differential, this is a one wheel tire fryer. :rofl: So I test drove a Red one with G80. Came back, Will that one work for you? I said NOPE, but I like it, so I want that sister truck over there equiped just like it with G80 and buckets in Indigo Blue. Well OK, take it for a drive. I said NOPE, lets go write it up, I'm buying it. He says, what if somethings wrong with it, you need to drive it. I said dude, I've driven tons of these trucks I buy a new one every 8-16 months, I've driven 2 tonight already, and if somethings wrong with it, it's under warranty, come on, let's go write it up. Bought it and drove it home 30 minutes later for paying off my 95 and Invoice cost + $49.95 Doc Prep.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey, I wasn't off topic, those posts were all about cup holders you know !!! :rofl:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Where did you find that headliner? I need that in my truck badly!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I bet he got it at one of the DIY salvage yards. I see them all the time.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Replaced the driver's window motor in Sierra today. 200,000 miles and they are the original motors. The only reason I replaced it was because a gear inside the motor was stripped and it would get hung up, otherwise the motor was fine.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good job buddy

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Replaced the driver's window motor in Sierra today. 200,000 miles and they are the original motors. The only reason I replaced it was because a gear inside the motor was stripped and it would get hung up, otherwise the motor was fine.

:waytogo:

:think: That's a whole lot of going up and down to get 200,000 miles, considering it's only about 16 inches down and 16 inches back up. :shrug:

At 63,360 inches in a mile that's going down and back up 1980 per mile and at 200,000 times, that's 396,000,000 ups and downs. Wheww !!! I'd say it was time for a new motor.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
:waytogo:

:think: That's a whole lot of going up and down to get 200,000 miles, considering it's only about 16 inches down and 16 inches back up. :shrug:

At 63,360 inches in a mile that's going down and back up 1980 per mile and at 200,000 times, that's 396,000,000 ups and downs. Wheww !!! I'd say it was time for a new motor.

You spend all your time rolling the window up and down as you drive?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You spend all your time rolling the window up and down as you drive?

Well duh, you'd have to get the window up and down 369 million times don'tchoo think??? :shrug: Why do you think Auto Down windows were invented? :chair: That way your finger gets a rest. :321:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You drink Pepsi 24/7 365, and you still fit behind the wheel, and dont have kidney stones?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millernf