Retrofit Electric Engine Cooling Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRAZOII

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Ok, so from what I'm getting from this thread is.....
Hi and low will both run off of 2 separate 40 amp relays. Correct? I'd rather over do it than blow relays. Secondly, what would you use for a controller? I would like to utilize both fans on temp switches with a override on for the a/c or towing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok, so from what I'm getting from this thread is.....
Hi and low will both run off of 2 separate 40 amp relays. Correct? I'd rather over do it than blow relays. Secondly, what would you use for a controller? I would like to utilize both fans on temp switches with a override on for the a/c or towing.

I'm gonna use Ford style starter relays. They should be plenty sturdy enough.

TRAZOII

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
I'm gonna use Ford style starter relays. They should be plenty sturdy enough.
Make sure you get the continuous duty relays. Starter relay will burn out. I learned the hard way with adding a battery.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Really need to find out what the highest amperage of each fan is. If there's a spike at starting or turning off, you can put in a thermistor to clip it to "normal-running" amperage. Then add say 5-10 amps to the "normal-running" and that's the relay I would use. I decided to use the same relays they use in GM vehicles. They don't cost as much as you think, if you order them online. Thermistors are about $1.50 each.

TRAZOII

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Really need to find out what the highest amperage of each fan is. If there's a spike at starting or turning off, you can put in a thermistor to clip it to "normal-running" amperage. Then add say 5-10 amps to the "normal-running" and that's the relay I would use. I decided to use the same relays they use in GM vehicles. They don't cost as much as you think, if you order them online. Thermistors are about $1.50 each.
Got a link?

Djgiann99

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Maybe I'm just missing it, but what is everyone using for a triggering sensor? I read a couple guys using a temp sensor in the head. I wanted to use a two speed/fan setup with one fan (or low speed) kicking on at a lower temp and the other (or high speed) kicking on at a higher temp. This would require me to have two separate sensors which turn on at different temperatures. Is this the easiest way? Are there junkyard sensors that can be retrofitted? What else is everyone doing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84