Replacing front steering components question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
I'm in the process of ordering new Tie Rods and Ball Joints and came to the Center Link Adjusting Tube. I know that it should come off with no problem, but concerned if I have to destroy some threads. I can't seem to find that item anywhere. I'd like to know there will be a bridge to cross if it comes to that. See Item #2 on pic.

Attachments

• Center Link Adjusting Tube.png
    Center Link Adjusting Tube.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 49

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You could soak the center link adjuster with penetrating oil which would help. For me, just in saving time, I'd order a new adjuster and put it all together before installing it. Since your doing the TREs, I would also do the drag link from the box to the knuckle.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
DVD, yes, thanks. Looking for a place that sells a new one. Can't seem to locate one. Center adjusting tube that is. #2 in the pic.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
If you visit a parts house that still has a catalogue system there may be someone that can source that part for you. I have seen the exploded view numerous times when customers couldn't/wouldn't/didn't know exactly what to call an item or component. They were usually able to identify the part when they saw it in the book. Many times the parts were not pictured or described on the EPC as they were in print either. Good luck!

Strickland

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size

That is the part number for that center link. Maybe it will help your search. Try ebay or something like that.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I would not worry too much about destroying it as you install new ends on the drag link. Mine had been on since the truck was built in ‘75, but it unscrewed without any problem. I was a little concerned about the clamps that lock the adjustment, since they did not seem as durable, but it all went back together without any issues.

Also pay attention to the orientation of the drag link tie rods and clamps before you disassemble (take a picture). Everything has to be oriented properly so the clamps don’t hit anything, and the link stays aligned through the full travel, and I found the pictures in the repair manual to be a little confusing.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Moog makes all of it (and Rock sells them) but you have to make sure you know which one matches what you have as asking them (based on your year and model) is a pig in a poke....iow, they dont know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53