Steering column parts I'm replacing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had problems with a worn out turn signal switch but in the process of replacing it I had removed the old locking plate off and on a dozen times over the years to the point where I had to straighten it out so many times from putting that locking plate removal tool on it, it got bent every which away. And the retainer ring had also been off and on so many times it was stretched out and scratched up from prying it off and on ten dozen times as well. I needed a new locking plate and retainer ring. So I ordered both and got the ring in a couple of days ago.

For those of you who would like a new locking ring, here's one I got from "Corvette Central" p/n 563060 for '69-'78 Corvette, for $11.05 plus $9.06 s&h, plus any tax your state might collect. This price was about average for this part as I did shop around. I suppose you might find it for less but at least this is a source for some small parts you may not be able to find elsewhere. It seemed no one had this little ring as it's a obscure part for column's you can't seem to find many parts for anyway. Especially a "tilt" column like the one in my truck, a '74 C10.
You must be registered for see images attach

Below, nice and flat and the ends closed together like it's supposed to be. You wouldn't want to compare this one with mine. Mine is beat to hell and back. It won't even all go into the slot anymore. I have it in the groove now but just barely, and with the help of a flat tip screw driver and a small ball peen hammer I managed to get part of it in the groove. I thought I had it in one time in this last episode and let's just say I'm glad I had my head leaned over out of the way because when the ring popped out of the groove the locking plate hit the back of the seat with a audible "thud!". I'm sure I would have had a black eye from that one.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This is actually really helpful. I just tried the wobbly column rebuild and I'm amazed I didn't lose, break or ingest that bastard snap-ring. I can imagine how farked it would be after a few times on and off.

I'll find my pictures of my column rebuild and post a thread. Spoilers: SO MANY COPPER SHAVINGS!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pics?

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Copper shavings from the horn contact and ring. I need to get all of my pics up -- I couldn't do the last couple steps but was able to reach 3/4 bolts and tighten them....

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Copper shavings from the horn contact and ring. I need to get all of my pics up -- I couldn't do the last couple steps but was able to reach 3/4 bolts and tighten them....

You put some blue loctite on them, right ?

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave