Replacement tail light sockets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Does anyone know where to find all 6? Like maybe a bulk sale?

The ones quickly viewed on amazon looked to be different, but I could be wrong. I never saw anything like these before.

Off topic, but does anyone know the name of those threaded inserts for the screws. I am buying new screws, might as well have new ones of those since i lost half.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On the screws, if you are about the thin pieces that go over the sheet metal tabs to thread sheet metal s rees into, they are called u nuts. Any decent hardware store should sell them, organic harbor freight has a kit for around $7, I think.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Does anyone know where to find all 6? Like maybe a bulk sale?

The ones quickly viewed on amazon looked to be different, but I could be wrong. I never saw anything like these before.

Off topic, but does anyone know the name of those threaded inserts for the screws. I am buying new screws, might as well have new ones of those since i lost half.

Those sockets look to be the style used on trucks later than yours. But they all use the same twist-lock mounting style. The only difference is that the earlier sockets had the wiring at a 90 degree angle.

If you want to keep the style you have now, search for these P/N's:

1. Parking/TS/ Brake light socket - 12013813

2. B/U 8909518 light socket - 8909518

3. Side Marker light socket - 6298886 (these are the same as roof marker light sockets and that's how they're usually listed)

There's plenty of these out there - but usually sold one by one. Here is a site that has a huge selection:

https://www.wiringproducts.com/general-motors-chassis-connectors

On the fasteners; Classic sells a nice pack of 4 J-nuts and 4 stainless screws for $1.99. They are listed as for side marker assemblies but I'm faily certain that they will be an exact fit with the tail light housings as well.

A lot of times Classic supplies NOS stock and doesn't even mention it.

https://www.classicparts.com/1981-91-Side-Marker-Lamp-Phillips-Screws-J-Nuts/productinfo/51-524/#

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This bed came out of a non-1980 squre body, like my hood is off a 1979. Probably the square headlight generation. Its gas tank openings are in the wrong places and side for mine, so Its not something im worried about keeping in good condition. And its rotted. But perfect, guys, thanks. That helps me find what I need.

I actually have 4 roof market light sockets extra when I bought a replacement amber caps. The sockets were good except for one, so thats perfect and easy way to save 20 bucks.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Easiest way is to replace the rear harness section w/tail light sockets. I sell those sections new as well as the entire front-back harness for the tail lights.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Easiest way is to replace the rear harness section w/tail light sockets. I sell those sections new as well as the entire front-back harness for the tail lights.
Wait.. the whole harness? Where do you see these at? And I would have guessed the things were hard wired from the front of the truck to those sockets. Where do they go from one connector to the other?
Possibly did this for different length trucks?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Wait.. the whole harness? Where do you see these at? And I would have guessed the things were hard wired from the front of the truck to those sockets. Where do they go from one connector to the other?
Possibly did this for different length trucks?

The 3 branches lines to the individual light assemblies are connected to the front to back run of the rear lighting harness with a 4 prong Weather Pack plug/socket arrangement:

The plug/socket connection is usually right in front of the aftermost rear cross member:

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well, I tried amazon and ebay for brake light and taillight harness with my truck selected to no avail. It sounds nice but they are used those sockets are getting brittle and rusty. But definitely nice to know to make sure that connection is dry and clean.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I second replacing the whole harness. Who knows how far back there is corrosion on the wires. They are also old and brittle.

But if $ and time are short then swap just the ends. Make sure you solder and heat shrink otherwise moisture will get in there and corrode the wires sooner than later.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Again, another socket harness might be in the same boat. BUt I cant find the harness!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
https://www.ebay.com/itm/rear-body-...172382?hash=item3d41eec61e:g:5CgAAOSwezVWzSzX is this what is meant? Anything for cheaper? If not, I can make that work. And this is actually a good opportunity.. I want to hook up a 7 blade connector(or whatever number) for trailers. Im assuming most trailer wiring piggybacks on that? If so, Im actually going to go that route, correct me if im wrong.

Would running conduit be a good idea or should it be fine.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I also offer a 7-round Pollak trailering kit integrated with the rear harness. You need to run (at least this is how my kits are designed) a fused power feed to the rear as well as a brake controller signal wire.

Pictured is a rear kit I just send out which is for a dually w/7-round trailering kit added. Cost for a reg cab fleetside w/7-round is $279 shipped. You’ll also need to add a lead inside the cab for the brake controller feed. I use a dark blue 14ga and I terminate it into the firewall bulkhead connector for the rear lights-you’ll want to access the interior side of that connector an add a FM 56 series terminal and run that to tour brake controller signal wire.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh I didn't see your post earlier. It seems a legit website. I'll check it out when I'm home if pricing is not too bad that would cut a lot of time out of that work and solve my immediate desire for working tail lamps

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
For the time being, I found a very lightly used rear harness for a square body in my shop in a box which looks like the hardware my grandfather took off an old parts truck to use on his if needed. I have the whole harness and its in really good condition(no rust, weather seals mostly there, wires and plastic not brittle). However, someone cut the connector off when doing trailer wiring so many years ago.

Are all the wires universally coded on the truck and subsequently the harness passed the wiring connector?

Are they universally coded to trailer wiring? I believe the 4 or 5 pin connector, the flat kind.

Becausee, if they are coded, I would like to hook in a trailer wiring connector into this used harness and put it on my truck. I have aftermarket weather proof wiring connectors I could splice on since the factory one is gone and its not on my truck either(my grandfather cut it off to put in his trailer wiring... not weather protected).

What wires do what? If universal, whats a good way to tap the trailer wiring into my harness(essentially joining 4 wires to 8)

Also, are o rings for the 194 sockets sold. The other gaskets are present but not those

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84