Replace idiot lights with gauges.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Picking up my new 77 C20 Suburban next week. So excited to get it and making plans. One thing is, it has the 4 lights instead of gauges on the left of the dash. Wondering, is it worth it to replace with gauges, and is there a thread that walks me through the process of setting that up? I have looked and haven't seen one. Thanks so much.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
You may need a new circuit board for the cluster, obviously the gauges and may possibly need to run additional wires in the harness to each function/component depending on how your unit was originally wired and installed. Best bet is to grab a circuit diagram off of the forum here, figure out your wire colours and begin the process to either ensure you have that capability with existing the harness/ what’s going to be required for you. Someone likely has a YouTube tutorial guiding you through the process.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
You may need a new circuit board for the cluster, obviously the gauges and may possibly need to run additional wires in the harness to each function/component depending on how your unit was originally wired and installed. Best bet is to grab a circuit diagram off of the forum here, figure out your wire colours and begin the process to either ensure you have that capability with existing the harness/ what’s going to be required for you. Someone likely has a YouTube tutorial guiding you through the process.
Thanks for the help. Would love to have the gauges.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for the help. Would love to have the gauges.
to get full gauges from the 70s may be pricier but a full gauge set intact , aftermarket, or a partial (one that has parts missing) so you can swap over/into with your beautiful originals for the 2 at least. if you want a tach, you need to do a bit more too but overall i guess, how important is the original design/looks?
It would be, in my opinion, less hassle to get a 700-1000 dollar gauge cluster which would be a matter of wire running and connector repin/adapting but otherwise clean looking.
Original,because of how nice yours are, may clash unless they are also in that condition

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@imjohnny you ask if it's worth it to put in gauges. Only you can decide that, it will be your time and your money. Gauges are nice if you will actually monitor and use them,some people won't notice there's no oil pressure tell somethings knocking,or won't notice they're overheating until there's steam rolling out from under the hood. Etc. Most people are more likely to notice a red light come on,some people need a light and a buzzer.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
@imjohnny you ask if it's worth it to put in gauges. Only you can decide that, it will be your time and your money. Gauges are nice if you will actually monitor and use them,some people won't notice there's no oil pressure tell somethings knocking,or won't notice they're overheating until there's steam rolling out from under the hood. Etc. Most people are more likely to notice a red light come on,some people need a light and a buzzer.
Haha. Yeah, sounds like some people I know. I would definitely be watching it.
to get full gauges from the 70s may be pricier but a full gauge set intact , aftermarket, or a partial (one that has parts missing) so you can swap over/into with your beautiful originals for the 2 at least. if you want a tach, you need to do a bit more too but overall i guess, how important is the original design/looks?
It would be, in my opinion, less hassle to get a 700-1000 dollar gauge cluster which would be a matter of wire running and connector repin/adapting but otherwise clean looking.
Original,because of how nice yours are, may clash unless they are also in that condition
Thanks, don't really care as much about the tach. More interested in oil, temp, and alt than anything. I would probably be more open to trying to find an original cluster and take the best of them all and create one. I know lmc sells all the different years reproduction ones too if I wanted. Just wasn't sure how hard the wiring would be for a truck that never had those. I am completely comfortable wiring it up if I need to. Just wanted to see if there was any resource to help with it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Haha. Yeah, sounds like some people I know. I would definitely be watching it.

Thanks, don't really care as much about the tach. More interested in oil, temp, and alt than anything. I would probably be more open to trying to find an original cluster and take the best of them all and create one. I know lmc sells all the different years reproduction ones too if I wanted. Just wasn't sure how hard the wiring would be for a truck that never had those. I am completely comfortable wiring it up if I need to. Just wanted to see if there was any resource to help with it.
i think the gauges are reproduced that will work for your cluster but the backing plate/printed circuit is where you need to verify that you can, because there maybe not for your year(or maybe there is) but the backing plate can be cheated by shear mechanical force of will(getting crafty) and the electrical backing just has to be the right options or you have to do some custom wiring that may get tedious. youll have an extra dummy lite, if you had use for a park brake indicator that would be my use but others do 2nd gas tank or boost or air pressure or etc. AFR if you had EFI.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
i think the gauges are reproduced that will work for your cluster but the backing plate/printed circuit is where you need to verify that you can, because there maybe not for your year(or maybe there is) but the backing plate can be cheated by shear mechanical force of will(getting crafty) and the electrical backing just has to be the right options or you have to do some custom wiring that may get tedious. youll have an extra dummy lite, if you had use for a park brake indicator that would be my use but others do 2nd gas tank or boost or air pressure or etc. AFR if you had EFI.
Yeah, I have looked at the printed boards from LMC. Seems I could piece together what I want. They even offer a clock to go in the extra spot if you want to fill it out. The one I don't see an option for is trans temp. That would be awesome if possible.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The easiest thing would be if you could get a complete used gauge cluster and swap it in. Then you'd just have to wire up the sending units for the gauges. I've done this before on various vehicles but never needed to on a square. However it's plain as day clear, the price of a used cluster (unless your lucky enough to have an elcheapo wrecking yard nearby), is probably going to be $200 or more and who knows if it'll even all work. So for that reason I think you likely have the best plan. Piece together a cluster with parts from LMC. At least at that point you know the gauges and circuit board are new and will work.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah, I have looked at the printed boards from LMC. Seems I could piece together what I want. They even offer a clock to go in the extra spot if you want to fill it out. The one I don't see an option for is trans temp. That would be awesome if possible.
Not originally, but depending on the upper temp reading on the coolant gauge one could goose one of them and find a way to use a sender in a trans test port.
But that is not something I think will work nicely without more deep diving. But a trans temp gauge is a very wise investment, frankly ,in my opinion, than any other that i mentioned or the clock idea

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

heres a medium duty truck.. lol... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2558435507...645685073528&abcId=9300841&merchantid=8349344
The easiest thing would be if you could get a complete used gauge cluster and swap it in. Then you'd just have to wire up the sending units for the gauges. I've done this before on various vehicles but never needed to on a square. However it's plain as day clear, the price of a used cluster (unless your lucky enough to have an elcheapo wrecking yard nearby), is probably going to be $200 or more and who knows if it'll even all work. So for that reason I think you likely have the best plan. Piece together a cluster with parts from LMC. At least at that point you know the gauges and circuit board are new and will work.
careful on the word easy
The 77 and earlier loaded clusters were of lesser out there still and then also are usually more faded and tired. but that one i posted from a medium duty actually looks good. i would go for it because the backing thing may be worth it for it probably is the same as a truck and the vacuum is a manual gauge(Probably?) and idk

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size

heres a medium duty truck.. lol... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2558435507...645685073528&abcId=9300841&merchantid=8349344

careful on the word easy
The 77 and earlier loaded clusters were of lesser out there still and then also are usually more faded and tired. but that one i posted from a medium duty actually looks good. i would go for it because the backing thing may be worth it for it probably is the same as a truck and the vacuum is a manual gauge(Probably?) and idk
That looks great. I may pick that up. Was also thinking about the trans temp. I could possibly add a cooler and put a sensor in the line. That would work in giving me the temp and would also help keep it cooler in the process. Just an idea. They are all ideas till I pick her up on Monday.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

careful on the word easy
I agree, but my issue with an E-bay cluster is that's a $229 dollar risk on a used item that he can't put in his hands before buying. I remember doing a number of cluster swaps for this exact reason to get full gauges on GM cars from the 70's and 80's but that was in the days I could grab one at a wrecking yard for $20 or less. I'd pay $229 for a cluster don't get me wrong but it would sure be upsetting to get it and have it have a major problem. He wouldn't know until it was installed and wired up. IDK, this might be the way to go don't get me wrong.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I agree, but my issue with an E-bay cluster is that's a $229 dollar risk on a used item that he can't put in his hands before buying. I remember doing a number of cluster swaps for this exact reason to get full gauges on GM cars from the 70's and 80's but that was in the days I could grab one at a wrecking yard for $20 or less. I'd pay $229 for a cluster don't get me wrong but it would sure be upsetting to get it and have it have a major problem. He wouldn't know until it was installed and wired up. IDK, this might be the way to go don't get me wrong.
I wish i had yards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad