Replace idiot lights with gauges.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
You replace the oil pressure switch behind the distributor with the ps154,leave the switch on the block alone.
Awesome. Ok. I saw some guy had that switch screwed into the port above the oil filter and looked. I have a hole there that looks like it has a small plug in it. Was just making sure. Looks like I already have the temp sensor that is required for the gauge in block. It looks like it is inbetween the spark plugs in cylinder 1 and 3. Am I looking in the correct location? What about voltage. Is there anything I need to do for that gauge to work or will it just read the signal it already has?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The oil pressure sender is behind the distributor.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
@imjohnny

I have about 7 or 8 hole gauge sets, cluster, housing, face plate, etc, as well as many loose gauges. Early 70s, late 70s, and 80s styles.
If any of that would help you in your quest to upgrade, let me know.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Your gauge cluster will get power from the fuse box O.P. ,Fuel,and temp will ground through senders to give you different readings. Do you have a volt gauge or an amp gauge?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you already have a sensor for the temp light you will need a different sensor for the gauge. The warning light sensor is just an on-off switch. Finding the right sensor may be more difficult than you think because GM changed the resistance profile over the years. They are all 0-90 ohms, but the resistance that matches 1/4, 1/2,3/4, etc differs between sending units.

For example the original Delco sending unit for my ‘75 is no longer available, so I only found more expensive aftermarket reproductions online. But I was eventually able to find a standard sender at Autozone that puts the needle at just below mid gauge when the truck is about 185-190 degrees (my gauge is not marked in degrees).

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Your gauge cluster will get power from the fuse box O.P. ,Fuel,and temp will ground through senders to give you different readings. Do you have a volt gauge or an amp gauge?
Voltage

If you already have a sensor for the temp light you will need a different sensor for the gauge. The warning light sensor is just an on-off switch. Finding the right sensor may be more difficult than you think because GM changed the resistance profile over the years. They are all 0-90 ohms, but the resistance that matches 1/4, 1/2,3/4, etc differs between sending units.

For example the original Delco sending unit for my ‘75 is no longer available, so I only found more expensive aftermarket reproductions online. But I was eventually able to find a standard sender at Autozone that puts the needle at just below mid gauge when the truck is about 185-190 degrees (my gauge is not marked in degrees).
Yeah I am seeing that. May be a bit of trial and error I guess.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
I upgraded a 1982 from the idiot lights to the one with gauges. The connectors were the same but I had to get the diagrams for both clusters and move a bunch of wires around in the plugs to make things line up. There are little tabs on the contacts or in the plastic connectors that have to carefully be disengaged with a small tool then the wire slides out and will snap into its new place.

The wires for the idiot lights then just need the gauge sensors installed on the engine.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I upgraded a 1982 from the idiot lights to the one with gauges. The connectors were the same but I had to get the diagrams for both clusters and move a bunch of wires around in the plugs to make things line up. There are little tabs on the contacts or in the plastic connectors that have to carefully be disengaged with a small tool then the wire slides out and will snap into its new place.

The wires for the idiot lights then just need the gauge sensors installed on the engine.
Yeah, I figured I would be repining some of the connector. Where did you get the pin/wire info at? Can't find it.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
The original oil pressure gauge in a ‘77 was probably electric. Is the oil pressure gauge in the ‘76 cluster electric or mechanical (mechanical would have a fitting on the back for a hard line)?

If they both were wired for electric gauges it may be plug and play. You would need sending units for oil pressure and temp, but all the wiring should be there.

Sometimes the oil pressure sending unit has two terminals and one is for the electric choke. It cuts power to the choke if the engine is not running.
I was wrong. The oil is mechanical on the 76 that I got. Not electrical. How would or can I hook that up to my system?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I was wrong. The oil is mechanical on the 76 that I got. Not electrical. How would or can I hook that up to my system?
If i remember correctly from my 75 gauges, the oil gauge had a little metal line running from the gauge to an oil port on the block. Thats easy to swap.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
If i remember correctly from my 75 gauges, the oil gauge had a little metal line running from the gauge to an oil port on the block. Thats easy to swap.
Yeah, from what I am reading it is called a capillary tube. Trying to see where I can buy one right now. Would like to use these gauges. They are in great shape, and I have them here. I would guess the tube goes into the same spot that the sender goes in place of the electric sender, but not positive.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Yeah, from what I am reading it is called a capillary tube. Trying to see where I can buy one right now. Would like to use these gauges. They are in great shape, and I have them here. I would guess the tube goes into the same spot that the sender goes in place of the electric sender, but not positive.
2 have maybe 3 of those tubes. Gauge that fits it too.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The tube is a short piece of steel (I think) tubing that connects to the back of the gauge with a compression fitting. It makes the same connection to the fitting on the back of the block.

It’s been quite a while since I swapped clusters on my ‘75, so I am not sure of the details. However, what I remember is that I pushed the tubing through the grommet in the firewall, held the cluster up in front of the steering wheel and screwed the tube on the back of the gauge, and then pushed the cluster in place and pushed the tube through at the same time. Once in place you can screw the fitting onto the engine. It actually was not that hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8