Removing truck beds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I dont if it was this forum or another. But how do you a engine hoist for removing the bed? Can I just walk it off by working it from side to side by myself.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Not sure about with an engine hoist but if you have a tractor you can do it by yourself :shrug:

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Me and my buddy removed his with our muscles! POWA

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I used an engine hoist to lift one off before since I don't have help around here.

It was a long bed, so I put a chain in the center stake pockes. There is holes in the bottom of the stake pockets that allow a long bolt or other piece of long metal that you can run thru the stake pocket and thru the chain link. Do that on both side of the center stake pockets, then with the hoist boom extended just enough to reach the center of the bed, lift it then pull the truck from underneath it or roll the hoise backward if you're on concrete. Keep in mind, for this to work the tailgate must be off.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lifted the 88 short fleet off with 2 ratchet straps in an x shape from one stake pocket to the other, cherry picker in the middle, worked fine.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
lifted the 88 short fleet off with 2 ratchet straps in an x shape from one stake pocket to the other, cherry picker in the middle, worked fine.

I thought about doing that but then I couldn't roll it forward. I working on mud/gravel pavement anyways. I might better off to try HRPC method. Then just push the truck forward with the bed still in the air. Tailgate doesnt latch anyways so taking is off is no biggie cause I gotta fix the latch on it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

That's how I do it too (except with chains), but it only works well with a shortbed. Otherwise, just get a couple buddies and put your muscles to work.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Right, Swims way will only work with a shortbed, my way works on longbed. Do make sure the bed is empty though, cuz you have to extend the boom a little bit, and you don't want it to nose down on you if its to heavy.
Actually thinknig about it, you can probably also X the longbed like Swims is suggesting, and that should still land you in the center with the cherry picker hook. Keep in mind the front of the bed is gonna wanna nose dive a bit cuz its a tad heavier at that end once you remove the tailgate. Its OK though, you just lift it higher. I should took pics of me removing that one I did by myself with the engine hoist.
Also remember we talked about A frames for pulling engines? A frames are great for lifting beds and cabs off trucks.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, Going to lowes to get a hook for my hoist. My hoist uses slotted plate that the chain goes in. Might just take the chain in to lowes and have em cut chain for lifting truck beds.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you can move the truck if you do the x shape thing.

I drove mine out from under it when I pulled mine.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
you can move the truck if you do the x shape thing.

I drove mine out from under it when I pulled mine.

I'm gonna have to push this truck back. Then when the bed is off push it back forward. The is in grassy/gravel area.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Remember the truck will roll lots better on grassy/gravel surface if the tires are aired up to 30-35lbs.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
it don't matter you can do it, remember my pics of the motor swap between the MC and the 84 c10, same thing, pull the motor, push the truck back, pull motor push car back, sit motor down etc. I had to set the motor in a wheel barrow and then roll it in place, pick it set it, lift it, push vehicle under the motor and drop em in.

It works man, poor boys got poor ways, you know, you gotta do what ya gotta do. I don't have any 'crete to work off of or anything, gotta get by howeer ya can if you can't afford a big slab poured or something.

If you had enough wood, lumber/boards or plywood you can build a deck to roll the picker on, I built one, just wasn't long enough, plus it let the picker legs hit the lower control arms, so it wouldn't go in deep enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquareInheretance