Reman power steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I replaced my power steering box about 8 months ago. It just recently has started acting like it has no fluid in it, and it is full. No leaks, or anything.

Did I get a lemon?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
NAPA does a good job with those remanufactured Saginaw boxes. I would question its failure more with one of theirs, but even if it did, it should still be well under warranty. If it came from there. I wouldn't be surprised at all with a box from just Autozone or something, and I would try to get my money back and get a NAPA one. Just what I would do.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
NAPA does a good job with those remanufactured Saginaw boxes. I would question its failure more with one of theirs, but even if it did, it should still be well under warranty. If it came from there. I wouldn't be surprised at all with a box from just Autozone or something, and I would try to get my money back and get a NAPA one. Just what I would do.

+2 Lots of the "rebuilt" stuff coming out of the big box auto parts stores is total junk. Would guess that is the case of Smitch320. I keep all my receipts when buying anything nowadays. Would sooner trust a half wore out 20 year old OEM part over most of the rebuilt and/or chinese-taiwanese flooding the market. NAPA has always had better quality rebuilt and new stuff. Rockauto has some AC Delco rebuilt steer boxes at a decent price.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Thanks guys.

Should have taken the damn thing to my mechanic to begin with. I hate having it sit.

I knew i should have gone and gotten the "driest" factory box I could find at the junk yard :)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Even though those are made and put together better, they can be totally jacked up on a truck that's relatively low on miles and doesn't seem to be all that bad. I don't think your mechanic would have done you any favors in this particular situation. Everyone gets screwed on a crappy part or tool at some point or multiple points. I would go in there, plop that thing on the counter, and ask for your money back. Hopefully, that'll be the end of it, and you can either go to NAPA, or like jetman said, try one from RockAuto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schultz76