Relocating to Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
They have some tech companies like Motorola down in the Austin area.

Yep, Motorola, Dell, Apple, Facebook, Samsung...

We have choices. Also, as far as big cities go, Austin doesn't feel "big". I live about 15 miles from downtown...and everything past 1 block to the east of my house is farmland and fields. Go 15 miles east, and you have small town communities like Taylor/Manor/Elgin.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
That's a misconception HR, I've delivered or been to every single major city in the continental United States and every city, and I mean every single one of them including Houston has its "dirty" parts of town.

:word: Even the not as big cities have their "dirty" parts of town.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I appreciate all the input thus far. I am really in hopes that she is able to get on with a company down there. I will pretty much let her decide which of the areas she wants to pursue the most, after all its her career were striving for, as far as I am concerned I acan find what ever I need to in which ever area. Theres honestly not much that I cant do, Its pretty much just going to be find someone willing to let me proove myself.

On a side note, I still have my Class A CDL here in Missouri, does any of you know what would be involved for me to be able to transfer it to Texas? Or would I just totally have to retest?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Just go to the dmv and swap it out, as long as its valid. If you have hazmat you "might" have to take the test and a background check for the hasmat if you haven't done one yet.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
another quick question. Up here we have a statewide career service with job listings on line. Is there a website that you know of down there to make it easier for me to find stuff for her to check on?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
another quick question. Up here we have a statewide career service with job listings on line. Is there a website that you know of down there to make it easier for me to find stuff for her to check on?
My wife said to try this, I havent had to look for a job in over 20 something years so I wouldnt know any other sites.

http://www.texasworksource.com/

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For what it's worth, Craigslist also posts up jobs. Granted, they are not the better jobs, but you can also shop for homes to buy and rent too so if gives you an idea of what to expect to pay.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
For what it's worth, Craigslist also posts up jobs. Granted, they are not the better jobs, but you can also shop for homes to buy and rent too so if gives you an idea of what to expect to pay.

yea i been searching CL also.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Most of the major companies in D/FW area use Monster or Career Builder to do searchs for employees.

TXVeteran898

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Katy is a very desirable area but you wont much much land around there that isnt expensive. Katy has some of the best school districts around houston. Look at richmond or rosenburg they are close to katy and a little more out in the country. Also look into brookshire its right off the 10 and you could definetly find some acerage out there.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
x2 on Career Builder and Monster. I haven't actively looked for a job for 2 and 1/2 years and I still get people looking at resumes on Career Builder wondering if I'm looking to move to a different job and giving me offers.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I stumbled across this today and thought you could use this in your search.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

Thanks jknight. I have been trying to update this thread but for some reason havent been able to find it.

I have a possable job in Pinehurst Texas, Would you or anyone else know anything about the Pinehurst/ magnolia, montgomery areas? Or an other smaller communities with in commutitin distance to pinehurst?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size