Rebuilt $350 long block questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Personally I would be pissed my virgin block was ruined and I would want that to be made right. I would want at least a .020 over block if not a replacement virgin block or a lot of money off. Especially without being contacted, but again that's me and you may have had certain miscommunications with them.

They should at least give you a really good discount, or not charge for labor for the sleeves and a small discount. But yes you did get quite a bit of work done so the number isn't crazy far off, it's just the situation.

Exactly as you said, it's now .060 over so you can't rebuild it again, unless you do all eight sleeves, which is out of the question for a normal small block.

100% that is what I'm most pissed about... now you have the distrust issue on top of it... I'm not sure I would trust them to deliver me a .020 built long block under the circumstances

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Just had mine done this time last year. Block went .030 over, reconditioned crank and rods, flat top pistons, new roller cam, balanced, new aluminum heads, assembled and ready to drop in for $2700. I did trade in my factory TPI heads to get that price.

To me that sounds reasonable...and that is a roller cam and aluminum heads more than I got for $500 less!

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
I’m not sure what your course of action should be. I would definitely ask them about sleeving two cylinders and still going 0.060” over. That’s new/different block territory. They know that. Unless you have something really unique, they shouldn’t have done it without asking you first.

I might be an anomaly, but I’ve had more reasonable pricing from a shop that did a ton of machine work on a regular basis. The last shop I used did a lot of work on dirt track car engines and I guess they had already paid off their machinery and had streamlined their processes. So I guess what I’m saying is, you shouldn’t just take a jab in the backside on pricing just because they are a “reputable” shop. A good shop wouldn’t screw you around. There’s too much at risk, reputation wise.

I would think that as well...but I also think they are not too worried about some hobby builder leaving them a bad yelp review, which is about my only recourse on their reputation at this point...and also giving the guy grief that recommended them to me...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
100% that is what I'm most pissed about... now you have the distrust issue on top of it... I'm not sure I would trust them to deliver me a .020 built long block under the circumstances
You're just gonna see if their reputation is actually good or not, if they try to work it out or not. It might end up being a ****** life lesson too... just gotta be respectful but firm. And know everything you're gonna talk about and be as well knowledged about it as you can.

Definitely keep us up updated! That way this whole community will know! Almost all of us here are stand up good guys, who live and breathe these old school vehicles. Most of us would refuse business to places because of things like this, especially if they don't make it right.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
You're just gonna see if their reputation is actually good or not, if they try to work it out or not. It might end up being a ****** life lesson too... just gotta be respectful but firm. And know everything you're gonna talk about and be as well knowledged about it as you can.

Definitely keep us up updated! That way this whole community will know! Almost all of us here are stand up good guys, who live and breathe these old school vehicles. Most of us would refuse business to places because of things like this, especially if they don't make it right.

Will do...I figure as a last resort I could always dispute the charge on my credit card and have the suits argue about it... I asked them upfront if they would give me a cash discount and he said no, blessing in disguise

Waylon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I would think that as well...but I also think they are not too worried about some hobby builder leaving them a bad yelp review, which is about my only recourse on their reputation at this point...and also giving the guy grief that recommended them to me...

Your experience, good or bad, could definitely give those of us on this forum some influence on their future business. I would post your final outcome here and the name of the business, if that’s allowed, on the forum. Even if it isn’t cool to post the name, you could post some good clues that folks near the shop could figure out.

I would not want to use that shop based upon what you have posted.

I mean no absolutely no disrespect to you, but a good shop would not take advantage of someone who didn’t know how things normally go.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
^^^
x2

Life lessons to be learned here as well. No disrespect to the OP, as you seem like a capable/intelligent guy, and I'd say most of the blame is on the machine shop. Best of luck and again keep us updated!

Last edited:

Mark Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey All,

I had a local machine shop come highly recommended and had them build out my long block. First the pricing went from $1800 ball park on the phone, to $2500 after it was dropped off and gone over for a quote to a final $3200 when I picked it up...I get it that things change but it almost doubled...

That being said, I took a closer look at the receipt and it said 2 cylinders needed to be sleeved and it they bored .060 over. The kicker to whole thing is that when I brought it in, they measured the bore right in front of me and said it was a STOCK BORE?! They also never said anything about sleeves or boring .060 over anytime I spoke with them on the phone or otherwise. I'm not sure how or why you would end up at .060 with 2 sleeves coming from an uncut block?

I tried to call them twice now with no answer to ask them if they messed up the billing or they really bored a stock block .060 over, installed 2 sleeves and went on down the road with a $3200 build. I think if they would have called me and said they were going to have to do that I would have picked up my stuff, paid their inspection fee, sold the 487X casting heads and bought a 290HP GM crate motor. Am I overreacting over here?!

You must be registered for see images attach
They probably had a disaster happen when boring your block-YOU ARE NOT over reacting, name of the shop?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Was the 2 holes maybe badly scoured or rusted? Maybe bad casting? They kept milling it until they got the bad spots out? Still should have called first. I wouldve just scrapped the block if it was an inferior casting.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Will do...I figure as a last resort I could always dispute the charge on my credit card and have the suits argue about it... I asked them upfront if they would give me a cash discount and he said no, blessing in disguise
I would use this avenue first. Nothing like taking a hit in their piggy-bank to get someone's attention. Miscommunication is one thing; blatant disregard for basic customer service is inexcusable. IMHO!

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Was the 2 holes maybe badly scoured or rusted? Maybe bad casting? They kept milling it until they got the bad spots out? Still should have called first. I wouldve just scrapped the block if it was an inferior casting.

The block visually looked clean... I was hoping for a .010 or .020 over...

I guess that's another issue I can't understand, why you would keep boring a block and install 2 sleeves if it was so jacked up on the first cut... that would lead even a rookie machinist to think there was something wrong with the block and its probably not worth building?

Waylon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
They probably had a disaster happen when boring your block-YOU ARE NOT over reacting, name of the shop?

Thank you for jumping in. I figured you would be a good judge on what has taken place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes