Rear window hatch switch adjustable???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Greetings. Is the rear hatch dome lamp switch adjustable on my sons 92 Yukon? Occasionally the dome lamp will stay on. Push on the rear window ever so slightly, the lamp will go out. The light will flicker when driving over bumpy roads. In a moment of sheer brilliance (otherwise known as McGuyverism) I put a rubber vacuum cap over the switch plunger. That fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the rubber vacuum caps don’t last long. But that temporarily solved the issue, so the switch adjustment is definitely the problem I just need a more permanent solution.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From what I remember, yes they are adjustable. But does the hatch possibly need adjusted to close tighter too?

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Looks like the sleeve that the plunger slides into is threaded? Is that the point of adjustment? You could put a stick on, bump stop, like they use on cabinet doors and drawers, they come in clear silicone color. Put it where the plunger hits the hatch instead of on the end of the plunger.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I believe tte switch will unscrew farther, and the lock it back down.

You could also glue something to the hatch where where it contacts the button, like a nut or a popsicle stick, just so it pushes the button down farther.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Looks like the sleeve that the plunger slides into is threaded? Is that the point of adjustment? You could put a stick on, bump stop, like they use on cabinet doors and drawers, they come in clear silicone color. Put it where the plunger hits the hatch instead of on the end of the plunger.

That was my idea with the vacuum cap. It worked, until the cap split. I don’t see an adjustment on the window itself.

I thought about just driving a self tapping screw into the rubber bumper right where the plunger hits the bumper, but I figured I’d ask if there was a “proper” fix before re-engineering a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes