Rear wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Just a general question... Been doing a lot of work on my 87 2500 4wd. My passenger side wheel bearing I believe needs to be replaced. Wheel has a little play when grabbing it side to side when jacked up and when I accelerate from a stop it makes a pop/thud noise.

Question is... I may let the local shop have at it for this job. Anyone have a general idea of labor hours/cost of parts would be?

Thanks everyone for all the help so far with my previous posts.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Not sure if you mean from or rear. Assuming you meant rear, the answer depends which rear axle you have, either full floating or semi-float. From the issue that you are having, I suspect you may have a GM 14 bolt semi-floater. If that the case, changing out wheel bearings is criminally easy.
1) Jack truck, remove tire and brake drum from offending corner.
2) Remove rear-end cover via said 14 bolts, allow about 1 gallon of 90 wt to drain into bucket into bucket.
3) Remove center pin from spider gears in differential.
4) Slide offending axle "in" towards diff. Remove axle retaining "C" clip. Yank offending axle out.
5) Bearing will be retaining in axle housing. Borrow a loaner bearing puller from local auto parts store, yank said bearing and oil seal out of housing. Replace with new bearing / oil seal.

A new bearing is maybe $30, bearing oil seal maybe $12. I would not pay over $50 labor for someone to do this simple task.

Last edited:

bluearmz

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did mean the rear. I looked at the rear cover and it does have 14 bolts. Sound pretty straight foward. After pulling the drum, and anything holding in the axle at the rear that you mentioned, it slides right out? Nothing else but the drum cover to remove on wheel side? Is there and inner and outer bearing inside?

Additionally, it sounds easy, but any write-ups or YouTube video on this?

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There is only one (1) wheel bearing per side on the semi-float axle. You do not have to mess with the brakes at all and do not need a bearing press or any special tools to do this job. For the 14 bolt rear end, one bearing PN that I have used in the past is R1561TV , you can find these for $12-15 on Ebay, shipping inclusive.

Pulling the "C" clip off is super easy, after that the each axle slides out super easy most every time. (I would do both axles while you have the diff drained.)

Seal diff back up w/ Permatex Ultra Black RTV (or equiv) and you will be good to go.

Not sure if anybody has posted YouTube of this job, again it is most simple.:popcorn:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The only thing is that the 14 bolt SF are notorious for not cooperating! lol some times those outer wheel bearings are a REAL PITA! to get out. Just a for warning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lepak