Rear speakers and rewiring Stereo Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbull

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Does anyone know of any other speaker box(something to hold speaker, not exactly having to be a box) that fits where the original speakers go in the back of a single cab 86 GMC pickup? There is a big ol Notch that looks like there could be a nice sized speaker fitting there, I have 2 240 watt 6x9 pioneers that could be put in there nicely? Any ideas or products that could work?
Oh another thing any advice on how i should rewire everything for the head unit to speakers to grounds to power?
Thank you everyone
the general
:grd:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
http://www.73-87.com/#Speaker Brackets

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 392
  • speaker3.jpg
    speaker3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 333

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah those are sweet. I made a pair of things similar out of sheet metal but they weren't cornered-in stainless steel like those. :drool:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea but for the price he wants, No. I like em but I'll fab my own before I pay for em. I think some plywood or mdf and some fiberglass or something might work great.

Redbull

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
i think that it shouldnt be to hard to construct so i think ill try my hand with it, weld it down :High 5: good team work

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
why are you rewiring stereo? easiest way is to get a test light and with key off, touch it to radio wires. when it lights up, thats your constant. then turn key on. when you get a light, kill the truck and see if it turns off. if so, that's your switch wire. from there the easiest way to do speaker wires is to simply use a small volt battery pack from a drill put one to pos. and one to neg. when you to a combo that makes the speaker pop, find that speaker. if when the wire tough the speaker pushes out you have them correct. if it sucks in, flip your pos and neg.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
IMO I'd rerun the speaker wires period to some thicker ones, IF you plan to upgrade the speakers to some good sound quality ones. Those are easy, but the others like above just make yourself a good ground, find a good constant hot or make one to the fuse box, and find a good switched hot or make one to the fuse box too.

Redbull

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
why are you rewiring stereo? easiest way is to get a test light and with key off, touch it to radio wires. when it lights up, thats your constant. then turn key on. when you get a light, kill the truck and see if it turns off. if so, that's your switch wire. from there the easiest way to do speaker wires is to simply use a small volt battery pack from a drill put one to pos. and one to neg. when you to a combo that makes the speaker pop, find that speaker. if when the wire tough the speaker pushes out you have them correct. if it sucks in, flip your pos and neg.

I will tell you what, Ill take a picture and let you look, all the cables are connected to the connector for my head unit, And it is missing wires, Another thing is PO ( Previous *******) Cut into the harness and a couple wires went missing from that and He cut it to short and alot of crazy stuff. I hook my head unit up and it turns on and of immediately. I'd rather get rid of the headache know its done right and know what every wire goes to and know it'll work a hundred percent

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
IMO I'd rerun the speaker wires period to some thicker ones, IF you plan to upgrade the speakers to some good sound quality ones. Those are easy, but the others like above just make yourself a good ground, find a good constant hot or make one to the fuse box, and find a good switched hot or make one to the fuse box too.

thats another good way. also, it will be faster than testing all the wires ect. i'll go look at mine and see what all is what after pulling the radio out

Redbull

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
all i knows im gonna have a bumpin system haha
Nah i wish but god dern it if ill get the redbull to make some noise other than VRUMM VRUMM
Ill make Boom boom music haha:Rock on:

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

hope this helps

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that is good for alot of gm vehicles, including the 85 monte carlo I had and 84 c10 as well as my 88 k1500 if I remember right.

Redbull

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray