Rack and Pinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Last weekend I installed the Performance Online (POL) Power Rack & Pinion kit PS-SA-7387XX.
I ordered it from Classic Industries (it was on sale) on a Sunday night and had it at my house by Friday - perfect timing!

Current steering box was loose, 2-3 inches of play and since it is my daughters first vehicle (she wouldn't drive it) I figured why not splurge. Since a NEW box is up there in price, for a few hundred more I'll just do it right.

Did it go smooth? As smooth as any bolt in mod could be, maybe slightly better.
Cons
1) Had to drill one one of the mounting holes on the driver's side frame little larger to allow the rack to tilt just a bit because the u-joint was hitting the power steering pump.
2) Had to install a steering shaft support bearing because no matter how I tried the steering shaft would hit the frame. I made the bracket out of a piece of flat bar.

Pros:
1) I was able to re-use my power steering lines but I already had aftermarket. Factory style may not work.
2) Install was pretty easy. I did it on my garage floor with jack & jack stands and only need a hand when fitting it in place because of the width and needed extra hands to put the bolts in.
3) Uses existing mounting holes from the steering box and idler arm so no measureing is required.
4) Steering is like a modern vehicle now. No play in it at all.

Attachments

• Parts Number.jpg
    Parts Number.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 99

GO-N-BRK_84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
400ci
Well done! I'm excited to here that your happy with the outcome. I'm going to be converting my steering to Rack and Pinon as part of my PB Fab dropmember kit. The kit does include a stand-off bearing support due to the new steering shaft run.

Attachments

• IMG_4477[336].jpg
    IMG_4477[336].jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 73

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Looks good, I've been eyeing this for mine.

Not surprised on the support bearing. Anytime there's 3 joints you have to use one. Is that not mentioned in the instructions or were they thinking you could do it with 2?

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Intriguing...that would be a blast on a slammed hi powered hotrod truck.
I had plans for my 87 in the 90s. I was going to call it the Country Corvette lol.
Still have the TPI unit I bought for it in 94.
Ahh, the joy of bad life choices lol!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Looks good, I've been eyeing this for mine.

Not surprised on the support bearing. Anytime there's 3 joints you have to use one. Is that not mentioned in the instructions or were they thinking you could do it with 2?
From the way the instructions read it is supposed to be done with 2 u joints and no support. It might be possible if there was some adjustment of the rack on the support frame but since it is hard mounted I decided not to fight it and just at the support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8