Rear Shackle Replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So back to my original question before some absurd suggestions were made about moving a frame.......

...anyone bought the Dormin or other brand repop shackles (with new bushings)? Just wondered if they are OE or cheap steel, etc? Another option is new bushings but I have yet to see them sold separately.

THX

Last edited:

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Did you replace the bushings? Mine are rotted.

Yes I replaced the bushings. It was a pain to get the old ones out because the outer sleeves were rust welded in place cut them out sawzall. blasted and like you had them coated. New bushing went in without any problems. New Energy suspension bushings from Summit. But I agree with @Frankenchevy if you don't have the means to cut out the old outer bushing shells I would get new with their greasable bushings.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wound up getting a new set of Dormans. Rock had them for $31/ea, so not terrible if I dont like them. If I can unload a few things around here I dont need, might go for broke and get the big money ones.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I got the HD shackles in a slightly longer length to work in conjunction with my ORD custom springs. The longer the shackle, the more spring travel you can get. If it weren’t for the handling benefit, I would have kept using the OEM ones.

You can torch the rubber bushing out, then roll the outer sleeve around some stout needle nose to get them out. Or use a press. I’ve pressed a few bearings, races and bushings since I purchased my 20-ton shop press. They make these types of odd jobs a pleasure to do and are fairly reasonable.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On the side note......

Dropped another pile of parts to be powder coated off today. Fella gave me a number of a rollback operator that might haul my frame. Called him - $100/trip....doable. Only thing is, he wants it to roll. Picking it up Monday. Awesome.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not too bright but can lift big heavy things..... :hat:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wound up getting a new set of Dormans. Rock had them for $31/ea, so not terrible if I dont like them. If I can unload a few things around here I dont need, might go for broke and get the big money ones.
What’s not to like? New bushings in new bushing holders...
It’ll be tight, no squeaks, unless you’re doing the Rubicon or hauling tons of dirt every day, they’ll become a distant memory for alot of years!

FWIW, getting old bushings out. I’ve burned them out before, it’s nasty.
Drilling them full of holes is a lot less stinky and doesn’t really take much longer.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doppelgänger, so what’s the big plan for this truck??
Tore down to frame, powder coating frame....what’s this bad arse machine going to be when it’s alive again?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doppelgänger, so what’s the big plan for this truck??
Tore down to frame, powder coating frame....what’s this bad arse machine going to be when it’s alive again?

lol.....a midnight blue metallic, 480hp FI go anywhere I wanna - tow/haul anything I wanna machine. :waytogo:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Can you... cut... 2 feet off frame off your truck, like the front horns, so it would fit the oven? That hurts to do even if it looks perfect when fixed.. but it would do 95% of the trucks frame and you barely see it

Ever heard of Josef Mengele? That's who you sound like, practical teenager. The Angel of Death... :nono:
Cut the two horn feet off and put it in the oven..**** yeah! :headbang: decouple the rails from eachother :evillol:

I was in this mosh pit. It's Josef's song!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
---

Dude why u don't get some $40 - 1 or 2 " "drop shackles" off eBay? I got a new pair sittin here i'd give you. They got three holes im em - you dont gotta drop it and theyre already powder coated with bushings installed. A simple idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell