Rear Shackle Replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was going to powder coat these and replace the bushings but for the hassle, new ones with new bushings are <$17ea. ORD has some beefy ones but very pricey.

Just wondered what you used / liked.

Thx.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Are you planning to powder coat them yourself?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you planning to powder coat them yourself?

Oh lord no. I've got a GREAT powder coater - cheap and very good. He does sandblasting as well - which is whats holding up my frame. Cant figure how to get a 17' frame 18 miles away.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh lord no. I've got a GREAT powder coater - cheap and very good. He does sandblasting as well - which is whats holding up my frame. Cant figure how to get a 17' frame 18 miles away.
trailer? does it have axles? you could chop it in 3 6 foot sections(1 less than 6)... on a wide flatbed type... then stack 3 high... not a good idea in the slightest.
Could also completely decouple the rails from eachother and do one rail at a time... not a good idea.

Pay a towing guy 100 bucks or so to haul it one way and then when done do it again

Got any big projects at home needed done? Rent a skidsteer with forks and get a buddys trailer or rent a trailer, get some projects knocked out. wait for snow and skid it on snow. chain hoists. harbor freight floor dollies for cars and some big 4x4, 6x6 blocks

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
$100 I'd do.....guy wants almost $200 each trip.
damn the towing rates around here for a short trip like that are much nicer.

Where is your frame at and how easy is access? if you can get the right access.. get yourself a flat bed, large levers, steel pipes, ratchet strap, etc. ask if you can leave the trailer at the shop that you could retrieve it when done on it ;)

also if you dont have axles on it, go buy cheap set and mount quickly to move on its own weight, or fab somerear holders for 2 tires and do a center, low mount, pivoting center wheel you could support it on one frame rail if its good enough in the rear.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
How much to rent a tow dolly from U Haul?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
No buddy with a flatbed, huh?

I just ordered a set of the ORD shackles because they said longer ones with the custom spring allow more wheel travel. Before that, I just painted my oem ones as they were in good shape.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Check into Home Depot. $19 for the first 75 minutes.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope - no one around here with a flatbed. Anyone I know has a standard truck and all with <8 ft bed. To rent both a truck and trailer (+ mileage) is almost a wash to the guy wanting $190/trip. He has one of those huge 18ft refuse trailers - so would fit the frame easy. Just too much $$$ IMO.

Guy who powder coats offered to pick it up / blast / powder coat / bring it back for $600. Then relaised this wasn't a short bed so wont fit in his truck (box truck) or oven. So now just trying to get it blasted so I can paint it myself. And those small portable sandblasters are worthless chi-com crap.

I just ordered a set of the ORD shackles because they said longer ones with the custom spring allow more wheel travel. Before that, I just painted my oem ones as they were in good shape.

Mine are in nice shape - just the bushings are rotted. But for the price of new repops, it was almost as cheap to get them already painted/new bushings. Would love those ORD's but gotta come into some $$$.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Can you... cut... 2 feet off frame off your truck, like the front horns, so it would fit the oven? That hurts to do even if it looks perfect when fixed.. but it would do 95% of the trucks frame and you barely see it

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can you... cut... 2 feet off frame off your truck, like the front horns, so it would fit the oven? That hurts to do even if it looks perfect when fixed.. but it would do 95% of the trucks frame and you barely see it
So you were serious in your previous post as well, about cutting the frame into thirds....to restore it????

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope - no one around here with a flatbed. Anyone I know has a standard truck and all with <8 ft bed. To rent both a truck and trailer (+ mileage) is almost a wash to the guy wanting $190/trip. He has one of those huge 18ft refuse trailers - so would fit the frame easy. Just too much $$$ IMO.

Guy who powder coats offered to pick it up / blast / powder coat / bring it back for $600. Then relaised this wasn't a short bed so wont fit in his truck (box truck) or oven. So now just trying to get it blasted so I can paint it myself. And those small portable sandblasters are worthless chi-com crap.

Mine are in nice shape - just the bushings are rotted. But for the price of new repops, it was almost as cheap to get them already painted/new bushings. Would love those ORD's but gotta come into some $$$.

Just paint it dude.
If you have it prepped good enough to powder coat, a good paint job will last just as long. And be more practical from all fronts.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Frustrating as we've had a week of record temps / with SUN....and I hit this wall of no progress. ETA looking more like Spring now. Guy whose had my axles for 2 months didn't help things either.

Kind of have to paint it at this point. Powder coaters says wont fit in his oven anyways - but he can sand blast it well. Wanted to let it flash rust then POR 15 it....then top coat / spray it with chassis black. POR loves something to latch onto (rust). As it sits now, there kind of an oil film - I power washed it (3300 psi) with purple clean and a scouring pad....still has this residue. Hit it with a wire wheel.....still has it. I think its coming from behind all the frame attachments that are riveted on (where 3 1/2 decades of brake fluids, PS fluids, oil, etc have leaked. Thought about if the frame was disassembled, would fit on a van or truck rack (for long ladders) and be a whole lot easier to handle with just 2 guys. Might take a second-third round of Capt Morgan to do that.

Saw someone that had grinded off ALL those brads....totally disassemble the frame, powder coated black, then all new chromed bolts. Looked like an Elvis jumpsuit. :hat:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So you were serious in your previous post as well, about cutting the frame into thirds....to restore it????
I wasnt saying it was a good idea. I was saying its an option. I even listed it as a bad idea which would require a lot of extra work. Hes looking for complex solutions to an easy problem, i dont know else to tell ya

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey