Rear Main Seal Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
ARE YOU KIDDING ME DAVE? **** why dont u send me your old seal, if thats all the oil your leaking I will reuse yours, evidently you dont know what an "oil leak" is. :shitsweak:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

...and it's already started. You guys are cracking me up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOl as for the price of a vortec oil pump so what, it's cheaper then buying another oil pan gasket.

As for pushing out a bearing, I'll take my chances on that one, and if it does I'll save the new pump and reuse it LOL.

I have dropped an oil pan w/o changing the oil pump but to me it's cheap and worth it to me.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If you push a bearing it is worn, phukin oil pressure got nothing to do with it for Christ sake....

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
That's why you are paying to damn much for that education. Or taxpayers are, whoever is footing the bill. WTF do think the rest of us do when don't go spend oodles on very rarerly used tools that you can improvise and do without. I can't wait for you to get your first customer in a shop, and you have to tell the customer, it will be 2 weeks before I can get to your #7 spark plug cuz there is a special tool part #, J-stupidfuck$ and I have to wait till my Snap on truck comes around Tuesday, then I can order the tool, and he will bring it to me the following Tuesday. Sorry Mr Customer, that's what my shop teacher taught me and I want to be sure to do it right. But yet when my shop teacher measured my cylinders on my motor to see if I needed a bore job, he didn't know it has already been bored .030 over so I was about to buy the wrong damn rings and replacement piston that I accidently broke. Are you seeing it yet Dave??? Obviously you want to learn this ****, but your instructor is about a jackass. When I teach things, IF I have the special tool, or I knonw a special tool exists and I don't have it, I will explain about the special tool being available, BUT I'll also show how I improvise and with what and how to do so. How often do you think you'll use a rear main seal too? About as often as you use a rectal thermometer !!!

Yea I admit he doesnt teach us to improvise. He goes by the saying "Use the right tool for the right job and use it correctly". He thought I was crazy for using power steering stop leak in a leaky engine hoist jack.

I get what your saying though. Key word improvise.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If you push a bearing it is worn, phukin oil pressure got nothing to do with it for Christ sake....

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: typical Dave thread man. Take the "info" with a grain of salt but don't bother using it in real life or apply it to any real issues :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The tool is for so the seal will be installed straight and not cocked eyed.

We know what it's for... we also know it's a waste of time. Anyone with common sense and at least one working eyeball can get the seal in perfectly straight without that tool. I'm actually very surprised that the dealer even had it.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea I admit he doesnt teach us to improvise. He goes by the saying "Use the right tool for the right job and use it correctly". He thought I was crazy for using power steering stop leak in a leaky engine hoist jack.

I get what your saying though. Key word improvise.

The real deal here is, IF YOUR GOING TO BE A MECHANIC, THINK LIKE A MECHANIC. A mechanic should have a mind of enginuity and be able to figure things out. Many times, a GOOD MECHANIC can figure out a "work around" method of getting something done much quicker than he can get in his ride and go the auto or tool store and spend money on a too.. I use channelocks and screwdriver to do drum brakes, I have a junky set of Taiwan sockets my bro was throwing away. I kept them. I use them all the time, for pounding bearing races, pushing U-joints out of driveshafts with my vise, bushing installers, and a host of other things since they come in various sizes. I use all threads for pulles, I use all thread, nuts and washers for spring compressors. I've taken a stick of flat bar before, drilled a couple holes in it, and with some nuts and bolts, make steering wheel pullers, which now I do have a harmonic balance puller that I use for a steering wheel puller. When I was building motors, working on cars, changing timing chains, I could justify the $20 for a Craftsman Harmonic Balance puller and it was usually used at least once a week, usually twice. When I had a tough, it stripped the fine threads of the tool using an impact air gun, Sears traded it out for a new one.
Just saying, not ALL special tools are needed, and your teacher if failing you students by not allowing you or making you learn to improvise with what you have. The challenge for you is going to be, learn what your teacher says to learn, and incorporate what members from forums are telling you too. Neither is likley wrong since it is good to know of the special tools out there, but if anyone is wrong, it would be your teacher. Don't get into a pissing match telling members they are wrong that your teacher said, or tell your teacher he is wrong the guys on the forum said... By doing that, you'll offend people and they will shut doors on you and then when you need that second opinion, you're going to be told to go **** off. You're best bet is to listen to everyone's idea, the right way, and the improvised way then pull the trigger on what works best for you with what you have on hand to deal with. :grd:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Thanks to everyone for helping. I could have done the rear seal without that worthless tool after all. I could used a soft mallet type hammer and a extension and tapped it in gently going the crank flange.

The teacher didnt do it cause he didnt know what were getting into not having that tool.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks to everyone for helping. I could have done the rear seal without that worthless tool after all. I could used a soft mallet type hammer and a extension and tapped it in gently going the crank flange.

The teacher didnt do it cause he didnt know what were getting into not having that tool.

All ya gotta do is think outta the box...there is a soultion to every problem.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

There you go. Now maybe you'll see what we mean about your teacher being overrated. However, since the tool was made available and didn't cost anything but time, it was still a good lesson for you. When I teach things, I do like to mention, there is this tool available, it looks like this..., it does this... But I don't use the tool, here is how I do it. It takes me an extra 5 minutes, and I have to use another degree of caution, but nonetheless, I keep the $125 I'd spend on the stupid tool in my pocket or for other tools that are NEEDED. So now you know, you don't need every damn J-XXXXX tool that is mentioned in a book, on Chilton or All Data.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

So your teacher has never replaced a 1-piece rear main seal before? It has nothing to do with being a 350 either, that seal installs the same way in most any modern engine.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So your teacher has never replaced a 1-piece rear main seal before? It has nothing to do with being a 350 either, that seal installs the same way in most any modern engine.

I guess not. This is his 29th year teaching. So who knows what he missed by not working at a actual shop for those 29 years of teaching. A few student did it on a blazer and he had to actually use the J tool for the rear main seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tirekicker310